out if your own machine is pci complient...

does anybody know where can i get those? i'd appreciate very much.

thanks....
Re: pci plugins.... [ In reply to ]
You didn't use it that much, did you? :)

It is all there on the web site:

http://www.nessus.org/plugins/index.php?view=register-info

Alex

Re: pci plugins.... [ In reply to ]
Hi Kalin,

The Nessus scanner must be subscribed to the ProfessionalFeed. Once
it is subscribed, it will download the PCI plugins.

If you have subscribed to the Home Feed, the PCI plugins are not
available.

Ron Gula

Re: pci plugins.... [ In reply to ]
Also, if you're just doing one machine and not for anything
"official" (like a PCI DSS certification), you can just follow any one
of the ubiquitous "12 steps to PCI" documents all over the web and be
just fine. Unless you're in a pretty complex environment, the regular
feed will give you a very good idea of how broken your stuff is.

Re: pci plugins.... [ In reply to ]
i can't pay $1200 a year to check if 3 machines are pci comliant every 6
months or so. just don't have it.

Re: pci plugins.... [ In reply to ]
I was referring to "Home feed" information if you need Nessus for
non-commercial use - just to hone your skills. If you need PCI
compliance, there are other ways to achieve and determine if you are
compliant. I believe self-assessment questionere should be sufficient
for small volume vendors. You can find all the information at:

https://www.pcisecuritystandards.org/

Alex

Re: pci plugins.... [ In reply to ]
thanks Alex... i'm aware of the self-assessment questionnaire. i had to
deal with it a few times. i just ratter not deal with it too much
anymore. it's mostly a bureaucratic process to which i developed a
strong allergy. anything that can ease the symptoms is more attractive.
i just don't like when another useful open source tool goes proprietary
and everybody - big fat corporations and single users alike - are thrown
in the same $1200 dollar/year bucket.

anyway... there is nothing i can about this now.

Re: pci plugins.... [ In reply to ]
kalin m wrote:

> thanks Alex... i'm aware of the self-assessment questionnaire. i had to
> deal with it a few times. i just ratter not deal with it too much
> anymore. it's mostly a bureaucratic process to which i developed a
> strong allergy. anything that can ease the symptoms is more attractive.
> i just don't like when another useful open source tool goes proprietary
> and everybody - big fat corporations and single users alike - are thrown
> in the same $1200 dollar/year bucket.
>
> anyway... there is nothing i can about this now.

Hi there,

Just for the record, the Nessus ability to perform PCI auditing and
much of the features that were added to Nessus over the past few years
by Tenable were never an open source project that was closed.

And although I appreciate your insight on our pricing, $1200/year is
very competitive in a wide variety of markets.

Ron Gula
Tenable Network Security

Re: pci plugins.... [ In reply to ]
thanks Ron...
i was just saying that for a company that has above 100 workers (or
servers/worksattions) is infinitely easier (and feasible) to pay your
company $1200 a year to audit their network. a single user as i am that
uses your tool sporadically for about 3 machines total is way too much.
yet by default i'm placed in the same category as the aformentioned
company. in your business mind that can be 'very competitive in a wide
variety of markets'. in my 'local market' is way too much.
that's all.

and you are probably correct about the pci features - they might have
not been available in the open version of the application. i was left
with the impression that some of them were under the "experimental
scripts". of course i might be wrong there too. but i saw the video that
you sent me when i registered for the 'home' version. so i naturally got
exited and looked for those first after the plugin update. imagine my
surprise...

anyway.. i appreciate your clarification on the pricing. thank you.