I need to take to ensure that the plugin works? I ran the build, but
the plugin did not seem to work. I am using the Nessus Console for
Windows 1.4.5 and Nessus 3.0.5
Re: Build question [ In reply to ]
Chambers, Daryl [HDS] wrote:
> I am trying to set up a plugin, but this is my first one. What steps do
> I need to take to ensure that the plugin works? I ran the build, but
> the plugin did not seem to work. I am using the Nessus Console for
> Windows 1.4.5 and Nessus 3.0.5
Hi Daryl

The problem could be anywhere but here a few options you could check.

Can you see the plugin from within the nessus console? (search the
script_id)
Try to add some debug info to the script, to see more verbose info (and
post them here if you can)
Run it via the nasl cmd sysntax like 'nasl -t [ip] [yourscript.nasl]'
Watch nessusd.messages and nessusd.dump (if you have debugging enabled)
for errors
Is the test string correct for what you want to test?
Do you have all required info like script_id, description, script_name,
script_copyright etc.

I would go for testing it via the nasl command line, and add debug
parameters first. If it works there then try it from console.

--Ferdy--
Re: Build question [ In reply to ]
On Sun, Feb 11, 2007 at 01:44:15PM -0500, Chambers, Daryl [HDS] wrote:

> I am trying to set up a plugin, but this is my first one. What steps do
> I need to take to ensure that the plugin works?

nessusd will not load a plugin unless it compiles cleanly. You can check
that by running "nasl -W $plugin" (Nessus 3.x) or "nasl -L $plugin"
(Nessus 2.x).

You also should make sure the script_id and script_name are unique.

Beyond that, whether a plugin "works" or not depends on how well it's
been programmed.

George
--
theall@tenablesecurity.com