Mailing List Archive

Use of the " | " character
I have noticed there are several scripts which use the " | " character.
The use of this character is problematic since this character is the field
separator used by Nessus when outputing scan results.

The scripts use this character in a manner similar to the following:
------------------
Solution :

- From the desktop, start the Internet Service Manager
by clicking Start | Programs | Windows NT 4.0 Option
Pack | Microsoft Internet Information Server | Internet
Service Manager,
- Double-click 'Internet Information Server',
- Right-click on the computer name and select Properties,
-----------------

The scripts I found using this character are as follows:
iis_buffer_overflow.nasl
iis_ida_isapi.nasl
iis5_isapi_printer.nasl

Does anyone have a problem if those scripts are changed to use another
character? Any suggestions on what the replacement character should be?

I will make the changes and submit the diffs to Renaud if there is agreement
the changes should be made.
Re: Use of the " | " character [ In reply to ]
I believe that the field separate is "<|>" so unless you put a string
like that into the script, there should't be a problem with it the way
it is.

Thomas

> Brad Caldwell wrote:
>
> I have noticed there are several scripts which use the " | "
> character. The use of this character is problematic since this
> character is the field separator used by Nessus when outputing scan
> results.
>
> The scripts use this character in a manner similar to the following:
> Solution :
>
> - >From the desktop, start the Internet Service Manager
> by clicking Start | Programs | Windows NT 4.0 Option
> Pack | Microsoft Internet Information Server | Internet
> Service Manager,
> - Double-click 'Internet Information Server',
> - Right-click on the computer name and select Properties,
>
> The scripts I found using this character are as follows:
> iis_buffer_overflow.nasl
> iis_ida_isapi.nasl
> iis5_isapi_printer.nasl
>
> Does anyone have a problem if those scripts are changed to use another
> character? Any suggestions on what the replacement character should
> be?
>
> I will make the changes and submit the diffs to Renaud if there is
> agreement the changes should be made.

Thomas Reinke Tel: (905) 331-2260
Director of Technology Fax: (905) 331-2504
E-Soft Inc. http://www.e-softinc.com
Publishers of SecuritySpace http://www.securityspace.com
Re: Use of the " | " character [ In reply to ]
On Thu, Sep 27, 2001 at 01:28:25PM -0400, Thomas Reinke wrote:
> I believe that the field separate is "<|>" so unless you put a string
> like that into the script, there should't be a problem with it the way
> it is.

nah, this symbol is in the communication protocol. The .nsr files are
separated by '|'.