Mailing List Archive

Anonymous CVS access times out and documentation not found
Hi,

I am currently getting a timeout when trying to update my anonymous
CVS checkout of NessusClient. Does anyone else
experience the same problem?

Also, when I searched the web site of nessus.org for possible
changes of the CVS, I didn't find any hint on how to check out
anonymously. I thought it was on
http://www.nessus.org/documentation/index.php?doc=install
but it isn't there. Have I missed the link somehow?
(The old page http://www.nessus.org/cvs_manual.html
does not exist anymore)

Best

Jan

--
Jan-Oliver Wagner: www.intevation.de/~jan | GISpatcher: www.gispatcher.de
Kolab Konsortium : www.kolab-konsortium.de | Thuban : thuban.intevation.org
Re: Anonymous CVS access times out and documentation not found [ In reply to ]
On Jan 19, 2007, at 1:26 AM, Jan-Oliver Wagner wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I am currently getting a timeout when trying to update my anonymous
> CVS checkout of NessusClient. Does anyone else
> experience the same problem?

Due to the extremely little number of anonymous CVS users (< 20), the
costs of maintaining and securing the CVS server definitely offsets
the benefits, and therefore it has been disabled a couple of months ago.

-- Renaud
Re: Anonymous CVS access times out and documentation not found [ In reply to ]
On Friday 19 January 2007 08:42, Renaud Deraison wrote:

> On Jan 19, 2007, at 1:26 AM, Jan-Oliver Wagner wrote:
> > I am currently getting a timeout when trying to update my anonymous
> > CVS checkout of NessusClient. Does anyone else
> > experience the same problem?
>
> Due to the extremely little number of anonymous CVS users (< 20), the
> costs of maintaining and securing the CVS server definitely offsets
> the benefits, and therefore it has been disabled a couple of months ago.

how can people help to improve NessusClient HEAD development (which
already has a lot more features than the 1.0 branch?
There are no tar-balls available, the only chance to get HEAD is to have
CVS write access.
And even if there would be nightly tar-balls, it would be complicated to
work on the code (at least I am myself a heavy user of "cvs diff" for preparing
patches even when working only as anonymous).

Best

Jan

Re: Anonymous CVS access times out and documentation not found [ In reply to ]
On Jan 19, 2007, at 9:30 AM, Jan-Oliver Wagner wrote:

> On Friday 19 January 2007 08:42, Renaud Deraison wrote:
>>
>> On Jan 19, 2007, at 1:26 AM, Jan-Oliver Wagner wrote:
>>> I am currently getting a timeout when trying to update my anonymous
>>> CVS checkout of NessusClient. Does anyone else
>>> experience the same problem?
>>
>> Due to the extremely little number of anonymous CVS users (< 20), the
>> costs of maintaining and securing the CVS server definitely offsets
>> the benefits, and therefore it has been disabled a couple of
>> months ago.
>
> how can people help to improve NessusClient HEAD development (which
> already has a lot more features than the 1.0 branch?

People intending to help can always request CVS access. pserver is
gone away, not ssh.
cvsweb is also still here.

-- Renaud
Re: Anonymous CVS access times out and documentation not found [ In reply to ]
On Friday 19 January 2007 09:44, Renaud Deraison wrote:
> On Jan 19, 2007, at 9:30 AM, Jan-Oliver Wagner wrote:
> >>
> >> Due to the extremely little number of anonymous CVS users (< 20), the
> >> costs of maintaining and securing the CVS server definitely offsets
> >> the benefits, and therefore it has been disabled a couple of
> >> months ago.
> >
> > how can people help to improve NessusClient HEAD development (which
> > already has a lot more features than the 1.0 branch?
>
> People intending to help can always request CVS access.

Cool. But they should first proove they know what they do and do good, right?

> cvsweb is also still here.

Can you link the URL somewhere on the website?
Is CVSWeb configured to allow download of a current tar-ball? That would help already.

Best

Jan
Re: Anonymous CVS access times out and documentation not found [ In reply to ]
On Friday 19 January 2007 15:58, Jan-Oliver Wagner wrote:
> On Friday 19 January 2007 09:44, Renaud Deraison wrote:
> > cvsweb is also still here.
>
> Can you link the URL somewhere on the website?
> Is CVSWeb configured to allow download of a current tar-ball? That would
> help already.

I tried my best to find a link on the nessus.org site. I am pretty
sure there is none.

I now searched with google and found:
http://cvsweb.nessus.org/cgi-bin/viewcvs.cgi/

CVSweb works but is not configured to allow download of HEAD as tarball ...

Best

Jan