Mailing List Archive

Getting Debian Packages for NessusClient to work
Javier, all,

I would like to pick up the task on creating NessusClient
Debian packages and eventually getting them into Debian.

I tested Javiers experimental packages for RC1 as a
backport to Sarge.
Two things occured:

- why is there a build dependency to libnessus-dev?
IIRC it NessusClient should even compile without.

- NessusClient can not be installed on a system where
nessusd ist installed.

| dpkg: error processing nessusclient_1.0.0.rc1-1_i386.deb (--install):
| trying to overwrite `/usr/bin/nessus-mkcert-client', which is also in
| package nessusd
| dpkg-deb: subprocess paste killed by signal (Broken pipe)
| Errors were encountered while processing:
| nessusclient_1.0.0.rc1-1_i386.deb

How to handle this conflict best?

Best

Jan

--
Jan-Oliver Wagner: www.intevation.de/~jan | GISpatcher: www.gispatcher.de
Kolab Konsortium : www.kolab-konsortium.de | Thuban : thuban.intevation.org
Re: Getting Debian Packages for NessusClient to work [ In reply to ]
On Tue, May 16, 2006 at 05:07:30PM +0200, Jan-Oliver Wagner wrote:
> Javier, all,
>
> I would like to pick up the task on creating NessusClient
> Debian packages and eventually getting them into Debian.

I was waiting for NessusClient ot provide a final release before
doing that but if you want to take over that's fine by me.

> - why is there a build dependency to libnessus-dev?
> IIRC it NessusClient should even compile without.

Does it compile without those headers? If it does then the dependency can be
removed...

> - NessusClient can not be installed on a system where
> nessusd ist installed.

This one is trickier. Maybe it would be best to move that script to the
nessus (GUI) package instead. A conflicts would need to be added to both the
nessusd version that included it and the nessus package that includes it
instead.

Regards

Javier
Re: Re: Getting Debian Packages for NessusClient to work [ In reply to ]
On Tuesday 16 May 2006 18:56, Javier Fernández-Sanguino Peña wrote:
> On Tue, May 16, 2006 at 05:07:30PM +0200, Jan-Oliver Wagner wrote:
> > I would like to pick up the task on creating NessusClient
> > Debian packages and eventually getting them into Debian.
>
> I was waiting for NessusClient ot provide a final release before
> doing that but if you want to take over that's fine by me.

well, I didn't meant to take over ;-)
I just want to offer assistence :-)

I also hope that NessusClient is going to be 1.0.0 soon
(I just fixed a show-stopper bug. Now there are 3 bugs left in the
bug tracker of which one is minor and I need input for the two others).

> > - why is there a build dependency to libnessus-dev?
> > IIRC it NessusClient should even compile without.
>
> Does it compile without those headers? If it does then the dependency can be
> removed...

AFAICT, yes. NessusClient has its own copy of the files needed from libnessus.

> > - NessusClient can not be installed on a system where
> > nessusd ist installed.
>
> This one is trickier. Maybe it would be best to move that script to the
> nessus (GUI) package instead. A conflicts would need to be added to both the
> nessusd version that included it and the nessus package that includes it
> instead.

Perhaps the package of nessusd should not contain it but only the
(old) nessus gtk client (package "nessus"). Then "nessus" and "nessusclient"
should conflict.

Another alternative is that NessusClient renames the script to "nessusclient-mkcert".
Renaud: thats probably up to you to decide. What do you think?

Best

Jan

Re: Re: Getting Debian Packages for NessusClient to work [ In reply to ]
On Wednesday 17 May 2006 15:11, Jan-Oliver Wagner wrote:
> On Tuesday 16 May 2006 18:56, Javier Fernández-Sanguino Peña wrote:
> Perhaps the package of nessusd should not contain it but only the
> (old) nessus gtk client (package "nessus"). Then "nessus" and "nessusclient"
> should conflict.
>
> Another alternative is that NessusClient renames the script to "nessusclient-mkcert".
> Renaud: thats probably up to you to decide. What do you think?

Renaud confirmed for this and I just checked the renaming into CVS.

Javier: There is likely to come a RC5 release very soon.
Could you update the Debian package for it once released and let us know
if something is still not in order?

Best

Jan

Re: Re: Getting Debian Packages for NessusClient to work [ In reply to ]
Javier,

On Wednesday 17 May 2006 17:01, Jan-Oliver Wagner wrote:
> On Wednesday 17 May 2006 15:11, Jan-Oliver Wagner wrote:
> > On Tuesday 16 May 2006 18:56, Javier Fernández-Sanguino Peña wrote:
> > Perhaps the package of nessusd should not contain it but only the
> > (old) nessus gtk client (package "nessus"). Then "nessus" and "nessusclient"
> > should conflict.
> >
> > Another alternative is that NessusClient renames the script to "nessusclient-mkcert".
> > Renaud: thats probably up to you to decide. What do you think?
>
> Renaud confirmed for this and I just checked the renaming into CVS.
>
> Javier: There is likely to come a RC5 release very soon.
> Could you update the Debian package for it once released and let us know
> if something is still not in order?

RC5 is out now. Could you give it a try and let us know about problems etc.
I am offering to test the package and to fix what you perhaps need to have fixed.

Best

Jan

Re: Re: Getting Debian Packages for NessusClient to work [ In reply to ]
Jan-Oliver Wagner dijo:
> RC5 is out now. Could you give it a try and let us know about problems etc.
> I am offering to test the package and to fix what you perhaps need to have fixed.

I don't have that much time available right now. Yesterday I rebuilt,
tested and uploaded to Debian the first version of the 2.2.8 Debian
packages. I will put making new NessusClient packages in the queue, but
my current queue of work is actually quite large and takes time to get
processed.... just so you all know.

Regards

Javier