Mailing List Archive

better handling of nessus-devel.h?
Hi,

currently nessus-devel.h occurs in nessus-libraries and
in nessus-core. The latter is installed and then
used by nessus-plugins.
Except for definition of ntp_caps struct (only in
nessus-core) they are identical.

I propose to change this this way:

- install nessus-devel.h through nessus-libraries package.
- don't install nessus-devel.h from nessus-core anymore.
- move ntp_caps from nessus-core/include/nessus-devel.h
to new file nessus-core/include/ntp_caps.h
and include this file where nessus-devel.h is included
(which is in nessus-core/include/includes.h)
- remove nessus-devel.h from nessus-core

Benefit: less redundancy.
Also, I think nessus-core shouldn't install any header
files. Ideally it should be done only through the library packages.

Or did I miss some important aspect?

Best

Jan

--
Jan-Oliver Wagner: www.intevation.de/~jan | GISpatcher: www.gispatcher.de
Kolab Konsortium : www.kolab-konsortium.de | Thuban : thuban.intevation.org
Re: better handling of nessus-devel.h? [ In reply to ]
On Apr 26, 2006, at 8:44 PM, Jan-Oliver Wagner wrote:

> Also, I think nessus-core shouldn't install any header
> files. Ideally it should be done only through the library packages.
>
> Or did I miss some important aspect?

I fail to understand how/why does this matter. There are more headers
than just nessus-devel.h being installed, and the current system has
the advantage of working and to have been time-proven. A lot of the
autoconf tests have been done over time to account for bugs on
several platforms when it comes to packet forgery / headers
inclusion / etc... and moving them around adds an un-necessary risk
of breaking things.

More importantly, the plugins extend the *core* engine. It makes
sense to have them use whatever headers it provides.

-- Renaud