Just wanted to check before I spend to many hours digging into
unecessary stuff :)

-Tom
Re: Nessus and postgresql backend, any activity? [ In reply to ]
Tom Skoglund wrote:

> I have been thinking of using Nessus with an integrated DB backend to
> integrate nessus with another product. I have been browsing the docs,
> mailing lists etc to see what's been done in that area, and I also tried
> the NESSUS_SQL branch, but it did not compile straight out of the box on
> my FreeBSD 5.3. Also, this branch does seem to be kind of dead these
> days? Does anybody know what's happening wrt this within the community.

There's not much being done, as you can see from the CVS logs. The
code in the branch works for MySQL, and has been tested by a few
people. The documentations (doc/database/) should be complete enough
(except for the diagrams, which are not up-to-date). If you have any
issues with compilation or making it work send it to the list and
we'll try to help you out (I don't have any FreeBSD box around though).

What specific issues are you having?

Regards

Javier
Re: Nessus and postgresql backend, any activity? [ In reply to ]
On Wed, 2004-10-27 at 15:16, Javier Fernandez-Sanguino wrote:
> > I have been thinking of using Nessus with an integrated DB backend to
> > integrate nessus with another product. I have been browsing the docs,
> > [...]
> >
> There's not much being done, as you can see from the CVS logs. The
> code in the branch works for MySQL, and has been tested by a few
> people. The documentations (doc/database/) should be complete enough
> (except for the diagrams, which are not up-to-date). If you have any
> issues with compilation or making it work send it to the list and
> we'll try to help you out (I don't have any FreeBSD box around though).
>
> What specific issues are you having?

I don't remember what the errors were right now. It was something in the
postgres specific files, probably something minor. We will be deciding
next week if we are doing this, and it will be for postgresql if we do
it. At the moment I don't know if we will use what's in the NESSUS_SQL
branch, or if we'll just use HEAD and take it from there. Anyway, we'll
get back to it on this list with questions, patches etc.

-Tom
Re: Nessus and postgresql backend, any activity? [ In reply to ]
Tom Skoglund wrote:

>>What specific issues are you having?
>

> I don't remember what the errors were right now. It was something in the
> postgres specific files, probably something minor. We will be deciding
> next week if we are doing this, and it will be for postgresql if we do
> it. At the moment I don't know if we will use what's in the NESSUS_SQL
> branch, or if we'll just use HEAD and take it from there. Anyway, we'll
> get back to it on this list with questions, patches etc.

PostgreSQL code will not work, as it has not been revamped to take
into account the new schemas and is not that much tested. It should be
easy to derive the code based on the current MySQL code, though and
gradually introduce some of the advantages of a PostgreSQL DB.

Notice that the NESSUS_SQL branch could be easily folded back into
Nessus HEAD. Changes to nessus files are few (mostly changes to
configuration and Makefiles to get it to compile all the possible
backends as well as hooks in nessusd.c to call the database code). All
of the database code is in separate files and should be easy to merge
it into HEAD.

I would suggest you reuse both the E/R schema (available in the
documentation) as well as some of the scripts (available in
nessus-tools, also NESSUS_SQL branch) for your development :-)

Regards

Javier