Mailing List Archive

SSH Vuln error and unidentified Netbackup port
Since we have been deploying OpenSSH 3.8p1 I have been consistantly
seeing Nessus misidentify support for SSH protocol 1 but when I go
check by telnet'ing and grabbing the banner it reports that it only
supports SSH protocol 2. I have also inspected the configs and
verified by attempting to use SSH protocol 1 and they definately are
not.

I also found nessus couldn't identify the Netback banner on one of the
many ports Veritas uses. The banner fingerprint and version are
reported below.

Plugin ID: 10881
Vulnerability
ssh(22/tcp)
Medium severity

The remote SSH daemon supports the following versions of the
SSH protocol :

. 1.99
. 2.0

Actual response when telnet IPAddress 22

Escape character is '^]'.
SSH-2.0-OpenSSH_3.8p1

False Positive

=================================

Plugin ID: 11154
Vulnerability
bpcd(13782/tcp)
Medium severity

An unknown server is running on this port.
If you know what it is, please send this banner to the Nessus team:
00: 67 65 74 68 6f 73 74 62 79 61 64 64 72 3a 20 45 gethostbyaddr: E
10: 72 72 6f 72 20 30 0a rror 0.

This is Veritas Netbackup 3.5 fp6.
Re: SSH Vuln error and unidentified Netbackup port [ In reply to ]
On Thu, Sep 16, 2004 at 03:33:08PM -0500, Bill Clark wrote:
> Since we have been deploying OpenSSH 3.8p1 I have been consistantly
> seeing Nessus misidentify support for SSH protocol 1 but when I go
> check by telnet'ing and grabbing the banner it reports that it only
> supports SSH protocol 2. I have also inspected the configs and
> verified by attempting to use SSH protocol 1 and they definately are
> not.
[...]
> The remote SSH daemon supports the following versions of the
> SSH protocol :
>
> . 1.99
> . 2.0

1.99 is the same as 2.0. The plugin#10882 is the one which will warn if
you if the v1 protocol (1.33 / 1.5) is enabled.

-- Renaud