Mailing List Archive

Patch for I18N support: how to incorporate?
Hi,

I have a working patch that adds I18N support to
current CVS HEAD :-)

The questions for me are now:

1. Should it be committed to current HEAD?
Ie. will there be a 2.2 BRANCH soon for the
upcoming 2.2 release and the branch should
be done first?

2. Should I split up the patch into a series of
small patches to test separately?
Ie. for the files in nessus-core/nessus
and the files in nessus-core and the files
in nessus-core/po?

3. Who would volunteer to test I18N support
on system that have GNU Gettext and
on systems that don't have?

Best

Jan

--
Jan-Oliver Wagner http://intevation.de/~jan/

Intevation GmbH http://intevation.de/
FreeGIS http://freegis.org/
Re: Patch for I18N support: how to incorporate? [ In reply to ]
On Tue, Aug 17, 2004 at 03:32:27PM +0200, Jan-Oliver Wagner wrote:
> 1. Should it be committed to current HEAD?

No. HEAD is heading towards becoming Nessus 2.2.0. Once this is done,
we'll create a NESSUS_2_2.

> 2. Should I split up the patch into a series of
> small patches to test separately?

Yes please.

-- Renaud
Re: Patch for I18N support: how to incorporate? [ In reply to ]
On Tue, Aug 17, 2004 at 11:53:32PM +0200, Renaud Deraison wrote:
> On Tue, Aug 17, 2004 at 03:32:27PM +0200, Jan-Oliver Wagner wrote:
> > 2. Should I split up the patch into a series of
> > small patches to test separately?
>
> Yes please.

here is the first patch. It has to be applied to nessus-core/nessus.
I regard it harmless. Nothing will happen to you before changes
are made to configure.in and nessus.tmpl.in.

I am used to write detailed ChangeLog entries. I noticed that
this is not done yet for nessus. However, I wrote a ChangeLog
entry for better understanding. Maybe you find it useful
and add it as nessus-core/ChangeLog. At least it is good
for commit messages.

Best

Jan

Re: Patch for I18N support: how to incorporate? [ In reply to ]
On Tue, Aug 17, 2004 at 11:53:32PM +0200, Renaud Deraison wrote:
> On Tue, Aug 17, 2004 at 03:32:27PM +0200, Jan-Oliver Wagner wrote:
> > 2. Should I split up the patch into a series of
> > small patches to test separately?

and here is the second an third patch:

nessus-i18n-patch2.tar.gz: Not actually a patch, but
an archive of the new directory 'po'. Just
extract in nessus-core.

This patch is not harmful as the directory
will only be there. The commands as
described in the README will not work
until the third patch is applied.

nessus-i18n-patch3: Apply in nessus-core.
This is the patch that activitates the I18N support.
However, actually it defines only some variables
and adds a test for GNU gettext.
To my best understanding, this test
should work well on any system. But of course I don't
have access to any type of system and thus
it needs testing and feedback.

Attached is also an extended ChangLog file which describes
the changes in all 3 patches.

Note, that I18N suport is not build automatically.
So far, you have to follow po/README.
Autmatically bulding means even more testing so I avoided
this for the moment.

My next patch would be to mark all strings in nessus-core/nessus
with _(). Naturally, that will be a more comprehensive patch.

Best

Jan

Re: Patch for I18N support: how to incorporate? [ In reply to ]
On Wed, Aug 18, 2004 at 12:39:56PM +0200, Jan-Oliver Wagner wrote:
> My next patch would be to mark all strings in nessus-core/nessus
> with _(). Naturally, that will be a more comprehensive patch.

This is basically done now.

But I need a better place for the definition of _() which
I placed into nessus.h in patch1.

As options I see
nessus-core/nessus/nessus_i18n.h
or
nessus-core/include/nessus_i18n.h

I prefer the first one since I so far since that
is currently the only directory where it is needed.
I can be moved later on demand.

Any other suggestion?

Jan