Mailing List Archive

Suggestions for those attending NANOG 88 in Seattle
Some entertainment tips for those of you who plan to attend NANOG 88 in Seattle:

1. The Connections Museum is a must-see for telecom enthusiasts (which
I assume you are since you're attending a NANOG meeting). Six
different phone switches (some electromechanical) and a boatload of
other stuff taking up a floor and a half of a "central office"
building. In good working order. You can see and, to some extent,
touch. https://www.telcomhistory.org/connections-museum-seattle/

Beware: It's only open on Sundays from 10 am to 3 pm, so if you want
to check it out, you'll have to come in early for it.

2. The Space Needle is the iconic Seattle landmark. Buy tickets for
the time slot you want a couple days in advance. I personally like
watching the sunset from there.

At the same complex as the space needle you can also catch the Museum
of Popular Culture and the 1962 World's Fair monorail. The monorail is
a 1962 vision of the future, with vintage German-built cars in good
working order.

Short walk from the hotel to the Westlake monorail station, which will
take you over to the space needle.

3. Pike Place Market is another Seattle icon. Moderate walk from the hotel.

4. Museum of Flight (this is Boeing's home town, so it's a high
quality aircraft museum)
https://www.museumofflight.org/

5. Snoqualmie Falls Hydroelectric Museum and power plant
https://www.pse.com/en/pages/tours-and-recreation/snoqualmie-tours

6. Northwest Railway Museum (also near Snoqualmie Falls)
https://www.trainmuseum.org/

Beware that Snoqualmie Falls is a solid half hour outside of the city.

Mt. Rainer, if you want to check it out, is a full-day trip: 2.5 hours
to get there, 2.5 hours to get back plus the time you spend in the
park. It's too far to catch it in an afternoon. Decent odds of getting
a shirtsleeves on the snow pack picture like this one:
https://bill.herrin.us/pictures/20210627-rainier/img-20210627-145745.jpg,
which was also taken in June.

Regards,
Bill Herrin

--
For hire. https://bill.herrin.us/resume/
Re: Suggestions for those attending NANOG 88 in Seattle [ In reply to ]
Also, beware that downtown Seattle parking spaces are super-tight. If
you rent a car, get a compact. Really.

Regards,
Bill Herrin

Re: Suggestions for those attending NANOG 88 in Seattle [ In reply to ]
A nifty thing to go check out is the Fremont Troll.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fremont_Troll

/herb

Re: Suggestions for those attending NANOG 88 in Seattle [ In reply to ]
One observation on that, for those who find themselves in the area of the
Westin Building for ISP/telecom related work:

The Amazon HQ underground parking on 6th ave, with entrance literally
across the street from the Westin Building, is available for the public to
use. Entrance is on 6th ave between Virginia and Lenora. You don't need an
Amazon access badge/etc to use it, standard pay upon exit system. I
believe it's marked on Google Maps as the "Amazon Doppler" garage.

It has slightly better prices than the Westin's own parking garage and the
vehicle spacing is not bad, I have parked full size SUVs in it without too
much trouble. Not that it's a good idea to leave bags or anything visible
in an unattended vehicle in downtown Seattle, but the garage also has
*slightly* better security than your average unstaffed parking garage
elsewhere in the city.

Re: Suggestions for those attending NANOG 88 in Seattle [ In reply to ]
I also highly recommend the rock n roll museum:

https://www.mopop.org/

On Wed, Mar 29, 2023 at 5:35?AM Herb L <herbleong@gmail.com> wrote:

> [...]
>> >

>> > The following information is required before a letter of invitation will be issued:
>> >
>> > Name as it appears on your passport
>> >
>> > Passport Number
>> >
>> > Email Address
>> >
>> > Hotel name and reservation number
>> >
>> > Company name and address
>> >

>> > 4. Room Block and Attendee List Poachers
>> >
>> > Please be aware that companies not affiliated with the NANOG organization may contact you in an attempt to sell you a hotel room. This is fraudulent activity as NANOG does not utilize third party service providers for housing services.
>> >

>> > If you have any questions about the meeting, please contact us directly at: nanog-support@nanog.org.
>> >

>> > We look forward to seeing you in Seattle!

AMA March 31: https://www.broadband.io/c/broadband-grant-events/dave-taht
Dave Täht CEO, TekLibre, LLC
Re: Suggestions for those attending NANOG 88 in Seattle [ In reply to ]
Two more things:

Seattle is -very- dog friendly. You'll encounter our generally
well-behaved canine companions on the street, in stores and possibly
even in the hotel and event venues. Pack your allergy medication if
you need it.

Summer is good weather time in Seattle. Expect sunshine, mild to warm
temperatures and light if any rain.

Regards,
Bill Herrin

Re: Suggestions for those attending NANOG 88 in Seattle [ In reply to ]
That's good to know.  I was thinking of parking at the Westin since it's
a familiar garage for me.