Mailing List Archive

1 2  View All
Re: Spamhaus flags any IP announced by our ASN as a criminal network [ In reply to ]
I do not believe ASN sharing is illegal or prohibited, it's not prohibited
in LACNIC and in APNIC policy I also could not find anything about ASN
sharing, only

APNIC policy states:
"2.3. Autonomous System (AS)
An Autonomous System (AS) is a connected group of one or more IP prefixes
run by one or more network operators under a single and clearly defined
routing policy.
2.3.1. Autonomous System Number (ASN)
An Autonomous System Number (ASN) is a unique two- or four-byte number
associated with an AS. The ASN is used as an identifier to allow the AS to
exchange dynamic routing information with other Autonomous Systems."

Nothing prohibiting ASN sharing and 2.3 specifically states "run by one or
more network operators... single routing policy"

Regards
George

Re: Spamhaus flags any IP announced by our ASN as a criminal network [ In reply to ]
RIPE NCC Requirements: End User Assignment Agreement states:

“End User may not sub-assign resources to third parties.”

Best regards,
August Yang

Re: Spamhaus flags any IP announced by our ASN as a criminal network [ In reply to ]
Well that's for end users. The company in question seems to be a Telecom
operator.
The RIPE model is a very strange and confusing one, where ISPs basically
become LIRs and they themselves assign ASNs and IPs, and there are 23000
LIRs in ARIN. Basically any ISP , webhosting company, datacenter or even a
trading company can become a LIR.

It's a very strange model which had just cost me 15 minutes of my time to
just dig into and get some basic understanding of it. I would not put my
hand in the fire that the OP is a LIR or not, but they are an ISP so I
would assume they are LIR and as such can reassign the IPs,a nd if they are
not LIR they can become one.

Anyway many of IP renting companies such as IPXO are RIPE-based, and those
who are ARIN or APNIC based also have subnets from RIPE region. If RIPE was
against subletting, the whole market would not exist with RIPE subnets.

Regards
George

Re: Spamhaus flags any IP announced by our ASN as a criminal network [ In reply to ]
Firstly, it's worth noting that AS47158 was registered to
ORG-IL649-RIPE, which was not a LIR.

Additionally, LIRs do not assign ASNs to end users whereas RIPE does.
NIR in certain regions is another story.

End user may enter into a sponsorship agreement with LIR to receive ASN
assignment, still directly from NCC.

It's important to note that ASNs and IP resources have quite different
assignment policies, so the involvement of IP brokers is not relevant in
this particular case.

--
Best regards
August Yang
Re: Spamhaus flags any IP announced by our ASN as a criminal network [ In reply to ]
Hello Barry,

Thanks for your blog.

I plan to block some ports on our router, which are shown in your blog.

> Step 1 on the list …. Deploy Exploitable Port Filtering on the edge of
> your network ….

Some of our routers use Linux as the operating system, so I plan to use
nftables to make some filtering rules.

Best,

*Brandon Zhi*
HUIZE LTD

www.huize.asia <https://huize.asia/>| www.ixp.su | Twitter

This e-mail and any attachments or any reproduction of this e-mail in
whatever manner are confidential and for the use of the addressee(s) only.
HUIZE LTD can’t take any liability and guarantee of the text of the email
message and virus.

On Tue, 21 Mar 2023 at 00:11, Randy Bush <randy@psg.com> wrote:

> this company(s) is in the business of spam. they're just trying to
> game nanog. discussing further a waste of pixels.
>
> ranady

1 2  View All