Best,

*Brandon Zhi*
HUIZE LTD

www.huize.asia <https://huize.asia/>| www.ixp.su | Twitter

This e-mail and any attachments or any reproduction of this e-mail in
whatever manner are confidential and for the use of the addressee(s) only.
HUIZE LTD can’t take any liability and guarantee of the text of the email
message and virus.
Re: Spamhaus flags any IP announced by our ASN as a criminal network [ In reply to ]
Given the list of things on these two prefixes alone, I would venture to
guess it's not a misjudgement.

https://check.spamhaus.org/listed/?searchterm=5.178.2.1
https://check.spamhaus.org/listed/?searchterm=80.66.64.1

Re: Spamhaus flags any IP announced by our ASN as a criminal network [ In reply to ]
However, for those prefixes

https://www.spamhaus.org/sbl/listings/azeronline.net

We even haven't started to use, we just announced that... They marked it's
a criminal network

Re: Spamhaus flags any IP announced by our ASN as a criminal network [ In reply to ]
afaik, spamhaus starts to mark a whole AS as criminal, if there is to
much abuse.
It seems you've reached the point that they ignore specific prefixes and
set every prefix you are advertising as criminal.

Re: Spamhaus flags any IP announced by our ASN as a criminal network [ In reply to ]
On Sat, Mar 18, 2023 at 10:35?PM Brandon Zhi <Brandon@huize.asia> wrote:
> We even haven't started to use, we just announced that... They marked it's a criminal network

They do that once they decide you've been broadly inattentive to abuse
reports. It stops folks from shuffling IP addresses to evade
filtering.

>>> I would like to ask if this is manually set by Spamhaus or is the system misjudgment? Has anyone encountered the same situation as us?

As I understand it, most things at Spamhaus are manual determinations.
You click on "show details" and they give you a list of timestamped
report IDs, each with a 1-line description of the reviewer's
assessment of the fault.
Re: Spamhaus flags any IP announced by our ASN as a criminal network [ In reply to ]
Have you received complaints from Spamhaus in the past? If so, have you acted on them in a timely manner?

Based on my past experiences, Spamhaus is rather gracious at first, but if you ignore them, they will start blocking you en masse. About 10 years ago, I worked for a datacenter/NSP and personally handled all Spamhaus complaints, and as soon as I left to go to another company (and the company stopped taking care of the complaints), Spamhaus blocked every single one of their IPs until they committed to actually handling the complaints again.

V/r
Tim

www.huize.asia <https://huize.asia/> | www.ixp.su<https://www.ixp.su/> | Twitter

Re: Spamhaus flags any IP announced by our ASN as a criminal network [ In reply to ]

> It seems you've reached the point that they ignore specific prefixes and
> set every prefix you are advertising as criminal.

Our sponsor (LIR) 62yun.com, they have 2 prefixes for VPS/Dedicated Server
using our ASN.
62yun did receive a lot of complaints, but as far as I know they have been
handling them (their head said their team is not good at English and so
they did not reply emails)
For me, I cannot reply to all emails for them, since I don't have that much
time. I also need to work for my company.

> As I understand it, most things at Spamhaus are manual determinations.
> You click on "show details" and they give you a list of timestamped
> report IDs, each with a 1-line description of the reviewer's
> assessment of the fault.

I checked https://check.spamhaus.org/listed/?searchterm=46.23.100.0 and the
reason they gave us was simple, saying our not willing to handle abuse. but
we stressed with them many times that we are 2 different companies. We also
do not have the authority to handle these complaints, but we will alert
62yun.com.

But they still intend to blacklist all the prefixes under our ORG ID, even
if the user is not us.

Based on my past experiences, Spamhaus is rather gracious at first, but if
> you ignore them, they will start blocking you en masse. About 10 years ago,
> I worked for a datacenter/NSP and personally handled all Spamhaus
> complaints, and as soon as I left to go to another company (and the company
> stopped taking care of the complaints), Spamhaus blocked every single one
> of their IPs until they committed to actually handling the complaints again.

This has little impact on 62yun.com's VPS business, and my feeling is that
if someone uses their VPS to build a mail server those emails that are sent
from this server may be rejected.

However, we are recently building a CDN for one of our partners (a social
media company), and we need to use a provider like vultr, which is not
really an IP Transit provider, to announce prefixes, however, they reject
prefixes on the Spamhaus list.

I don't think any ISP would reject an IP that is on the Spamhaus list.

Re: Spamhaus flags any IP announced by our ASN as a criminal network [ In reply to ]
Ignoring abuse complaints doesn't shield one from the responsibility of acting upon those complaints. If someone under your control isn't doing their job, you need to cut them off.

-----
Mike Hammett
Intelligent Computing Solutions

Midwest Internet Exchange

The Brothers WISP

www.huize.asia | www.ixp.su | Twitter

Re: Spamhaus flags any IP announced by our ASN as a criminal network [ In reply to ]
On Mon, Mar 20, 2023 at 9:51?AM Brandon Zhi <Brandon@huize.asia> wrote:

> I don't think any ISP would reject an IP that is on the Spamhaus list.

you, clearly, have been living under several rocks for a very long time.
Re: Spamhaus flags any IP announced by our ASN as a criminal network [ In reply to ]
Yes, for those prefixes are used to hosting service have been listed for a
long time. However, for those new prefixes that we rented...... We just
announced it.. even though it's unreachable... They just listed to this
list.

Re: Spamhaus flags any IP announced by our ASN as a criminal network [ In reply to ]
If someone tries to break into my house over and over, I won't act any different if they show up wearing different clothes.

-----

Re: Spamhaus flags any IP announced by our ASN as a criminal network [ In reply to ]
Well, those prefixes are not for their VPS hosting service (which cause a
lot of complaint). Just like there are many IP addresses under the
telecommunication company, the entire ASN cannot be "blocked" just because
there is a complaint on one IP address

Re: Spamhaus flags any IP announced by our ASN as a criminal network [ In reply to ]
Hi Brandon

“ the entire ASN cannot be "blocked" just because there is a complaint on
one IP address”

Why not? They are being advertised by the same ASN so at least nominally
they are under common administrative control. Therefore if that
administrative control is not taking responsibility for complaints they may
be treated as a bad actor on the internet.

Also people chose to block / rate limit / etc things on their networks for
whatever reason makes sense to them.

I think if you have a customer or partner who doesn’t look after scams or
worse coming from their network you may need to consider disconnecting them
if you are not willing to be marked as the same bad actor for at least
passively enabling them.

This could still happen if they had their own ASN with their own netblocks
because if you are still providing transit to them and take no action you
may again be flagged as a bad actor.

We all have a role to play keeping our networks clean and positive members
of the internet community.

Might be time to have your customer / partner clean up their actions in
response to complaints or ensure that you don’t need a good reputation with
spamhaus to operate.

Regards
Alexander

On Tue, 21 Mar 2023 at 04:00, Brandon Zhi <Brandon@huize.asia> wrote:

> Well, those prefixes are not for their VPS hosting service (which cause a
> lot of complaint). Just like there are many IP addresses under the
> telecommunication company, the entire ASN cannot be "blocked" just because
> there is a complaint on one IP address
>
> On 2023?3?20??? ??10:50 Mike Hammett <nanog@ics-il.net> wrote:
>
>> If someone tries to break into my house over and over, I won't act any
>> different if they show up wearing different clothes.
>>

>> -----
>> Mike Hammett
>> Intelligent Computing Solutions <http://www.ics-il.com/>
>> <https://www.facebook.com/ICSIL>
>> <https://plus.google.com/+IntelligentComputingSolutionsDeKalb>
>> <https://www.linkedin.com/company/intelligent-computing-solutions>
>> <https://twitter.com/ICSIL>
>> Midwest Internet Exchange <http://www.midwest-ix.com/>
>> <https://www.facebook.com/mdwestix>
>> <https://www.linkedin.com/company/midwest-internet-exchange>
>> <https://twitter.com/mdwestix>
>> The Brothers WISP <http://www.thebrotherswisp.com/>
>> <https://www.facebook.com/thebrotherswisp>
>> <https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCXSdfxQv7SpoRQYNyLwntZg>
>> ------------------------------

Regards
Alexander

Alexander Neilson
Neilson Productions Limited

alexander@neilson.net.nz
021 329 681
022 456 2326
Re: Spamhaus flags any IP announced by our ASN as a criminal network [ In reply to ]

> Well, those prefixes are not for their VPS hosting service (which cause a
> lot of complaint). Just like there are many IP addresses under the
> telecommunication company, the entire ASN cannot be "blocked" just because
> there is a complaint on one IP address

I can drop all prefixes from any ASN at any time and for any reason. Maybe
I don't like the color scheme of their logo, or how the CEO spells their
first name. That may or may not be a smart business decision for me, but I
could do it.

For most of the internet , it DOES make good business sense to restrict
access to ASNs that are known to harbor bad actors , either directly, or by
providing connectivity. It sounds like your organization has made a
business choice that the revenue from such customers is more important than
shutting them off, and learning about the consequences of that decision.

It sounds like an unfortunate situation for you who may just trying to do
your job, but that's the reality it seems you are facing right now.

Re: Spamhaus flags any IP announced by our ASN as a criminal network [ In reply to ]
On Mon, Mar 20, 2023 at 7:56?AM Brandon Zhi <Brandon@huize.asia> wrote:
> Well, those prefixes are not for their VPS hosting service
> (which cause a lot of complaint). Just like there are many IP
> addresses under the telecommunication company, the entire
> ASN cannot be "blocked" just because there is a complaint
> on one IP address

And yet they have. And it was due to complaints with more than one IP addresses.

Bottom line: your service provider is a bad network citizen with a
reputation deep in the toilet. Find another service provider. And this
time, do the research before you spend the money.

Regards,
Bill Herrin

--
For hire. https://bill.herrin.us/resume/
Re: Spamhaus flags any IP announced by our ASN as a criminal network [ In reply to ]
Brandon Zhi <Brandon@huize.asia> writes:

> Well, those prefixes are not for their VPS hosting service (which cause a
> lot of complaint). Just like there are many IP addresses under the
> telecommunication company, the entire ASN cannot be "blocked" just because
> there is a complaint on one IP address

April came early this year.

Bjørn
Re: Spamhaus flags any IP announced by our ASN as a criminal network [ In reply to ]
The solution to your problem is to terminate the customer causing the
abuse, in this case 62yun.com.  Once you do that I'm sure Spamhaus will
stop listing all your IPs.

Aaron

On 3/20/2023 6:54 AM, Brandon Zhi wrote:

> [...]
> Tim
>

>> On Mar 18, 2023, at 8:57 AM, Brandon Zhi <Brandon@huize.asia> wrote:
>>
>> Hello guy,
>>
>> We recently discovered that any IP address announced by our ASN
>> is blacklisted by Spamhaus, even if we only announced it but not
>> use it.
>>
>> I would like to ask if this is manually set by Spamhaus or is the
>> system misjudgment? Has anyone encountered the same situation as us?
>>

>> Best,
>>
>> *Brandon Zhi*
>> HUIZE LTD
>>
>> www.huize.asia <https://huize.asia/>| www.ixp.su
>> <https://www.ixp.su/> | Twitter
>>

>> This e-mail and any attachments or any reproduction of this
>> e-mail in whatever manner are confidential and for the use of the
>> addressee(s) only. HUIZE LTD can’t take any liability and
>> guarantee of the text of the email message and virus.

Aaron Wendel
Chief Technical Officer
Wholesale Internet, Inc. (AS 32097)
(816)550-9030
http://www.wholesaleinternet.com
Re: Spamhaus flags any IP announced by our ASN as a criminal network [ In reply to ]
Why do two different companies with what should be independent networks share an AS number?

Re: Spamhaus flags any IP announced by our ASN as a criminal network [ In reply to ]
Several Huize ASNs, e.g. AS47158 and AS141011, were revoked due to RIR
policy violations, which include prohibited sharing of ASNs with third
parties, IP hijacking, and malicious path prepending.

Given this history, it is not surprising that Spamhaus would blacklist
IP addresses associated with their ASN. In my opinion, such action is
well-justified.

Best regards,
August Yang

Re: Spamhaus flags any IP announced by our ASN as a criminal network [ In reply to ]
well that explains a lot.

For their own sake I hope they shape up - but I doubt they will.

Re: Spamhaus flags any IP announced by our ASN as a criminal network [ In reply to ]
>> I don't think any ISP would reject an IP that is on the Spamhaus
>> list.
> you, clearly, have been living under several rocks for a very long
> time.

we reject automagically on spamhaus, mail-abuse.org, and sorbs. really
appreciate their services.

randy
Re: Spamhaus flags any IP announced by our ASN as a criminal network [ In reply to ]
Our person in charge has consulted with their previous person in charge,
and their response is this.

"problem began long before February 18th. The problem was that in 2022
they added our prefix 87.251.79.0/24 to the black list, and said that if
there were no complaints for 30-60 days, the record would be deleted. we
agreed, almost a year has passed, the record has remained. They tried
several times to put pressure on our providers, but we always record any
termination of the contract with large fines, not a single provider has
done this, we pay a lot of money for the Internet, and no one wants to take
risks, now spamhouse pressure on"

Actually, I didn’t know what a spamhouse was before this month, until we
announced the IP in vultr

They claim they've been working on the issue, but I've found that they
don't respond to emails very well (I can only judge from this). Usually
though, I tell them to take down the content, and then the content gets a
different provider.

Also, it's not clear to me whether we need to reply to emails sent from the
spamhouse system. They claim that they took care of the content, but I
personally think it's because they didn't respond to the email that
spamhouse thinks they're not doing it

Re: Spamhaus flags any IP announced by our ASN as a criminal network [ In reply to ]
On Mon, Mar 20, 2023 at 7:08?PM Brandon Zhi <Brandon@huize.asia> wrote:

> Our person in charge has consulted with their previous person in charge, and their response is this.

<snip>

you are talking up the discussion with the wrong folks, really.
Please go see the spamhaus folk directly.
Re: Spamhaus flags any IP announced by our ASN as a criminal network [ In reply to ]
Hi Brandon,
Your next actions are to level up the security of your network, your organization, and your team. I’ll craft up a post with a checklist you can use.
If you don’t do this, then people on your team, your company, and your customers will continue to be “danger do not go there” listed. Spamhaus is not the only one providing easy tools to help organizations deploy “danger do not go there” list.
Step 1 on the list …. Deploy Exploitable Port Filtering on the edge of your network ….
https://www.senki.org/operators-security-toolkit/filtering-exploitable-ports-and-minimizing-risk-to-and-from-your-customers/"]https://www.senki.org/operators-security-toolkit/filtering-exploitable-ports-and-minimizing-risk-to-and-from-your-customers/"]Filtering Exploitable Ports and Minimizing Risk from the Internet and from Your Customershttps://www.senki.org/operators-security-toolkit/filtering-exploitable-ports-and-minimizing-risk-to-and-from-your-customers/"]senki.org
The other steps I’ll put into a blog post.
Barry

"problem began long before February 18th. The problem was that in 2022 they added our prefix http://87.251.79.0/24"]87.251.79.0/24 to the black list, and said that if there were no complaints for 30-60 days, the record would be deleted. we agreed, almost a year has passed, the record has remained. They tried several times to put pressure on our providers, but we always record any termination of the contract with large fines, not a single provider has done this, we pay a lot of money for the Internet, and no one wants to take risks, now spamhouse pressure on"

Actually, I didn’t know what a spamhouse was before this month, until we announced the IP in vultr
They claim they've been working on the issue, but I've found that they don't respond to emails very well (I can only judge from this). Usually though, I tell them to take down the content, and then the content gets a different provider.
Also, it's not clear to me whether we need to reply to emails sent from the spamhouse system. They claim that they took care of the content, but I personally think it's because they didn't respond to the email that spamhouse thinks they're not doing it

On 2023?3?21??? ??5:15 Randy Bush <randy@psg.com> wrote:
>> I don't think any ISP would reject an IP that is on the Spamhaus
>> list.
> you, clearly, have been living under several rocks for a very long
> time.

we reject automagically on spamhaus, http://mail-abuse.org"]mail-abuse.org, and sorbs. really
appreciate their services.

randy
Re: Spamhaus flags any IP announced by our ASN as a criminal network [ In reply to ]
this company(s) is in the business of spam. they're just trying to
game nanog. discussing further a waste of pixels.

ranady

1 2  View All