it's been 24 years, and we still live in his shadow and stand on his
shoulders. we try not to stand on his toes.

randy
Re: jon postel [ In reply to ]
On Sun, 16 Oct 2022, 23:24 Randy Bush, <randy@psg.com> wrote:

> it's been 24 years, and we still live in his shadow and stand on his
> shoulders. we try not to stand on his toes.

indicates how we get there." Jon Postel

> randy

./noah

Re: jon postel [ In reply to ]
my favorite is

It's perfectly appropriate to be upset. I thought of it in a slightly
different way--like a space that we were exploring and, in the early days,
we figured out this consistent path through the space: IP, TCP, and so on.
What's been happening over the last few years is that the IETF is filling
the rest of the space with every alternative approach, not necessarily any
better. Every possible alternative is now being written down. And it's not
useful. -- Jon Postel
Re: jon postel [ In reply to ]
On Sun, Oct 16, 2022 at 2:21 PM Randy Bush <randy@psg.com> wrote:

> my favorite is
>
> It's perfectly appropriate to be upset. I thought of it in a slightly
> different way--like a space that we were exploring and, in the early days,
> we figured out this consistent path through the space: IP, TCP, and so on.
> What's been happening over the last few years is that the IETF is filling
> the rest of the space with every alternative approach, not necessarily any
> better. Every possible alternative is now being written down. And it's not
> useful. -- Jon Postel

I wish I'd met him. I know I would have liked him a lot. We wear the
same sandals.

--
This song goes out to all the folk that thought Stadia would work:
https://www.linkedin.com/posts/dtaht_the-mushroom-song-activity-6981366665607352320-FXtz
Re: jon postel [ In reply to ]
On Sun, 2022-10-16 at 13:23 -0700, Randy Bush wrote:
> it's been 24 years, and we still live in his shadow and stand on his
> shoulders.  we try not to stand on his toes.
>
> randy

I got on the "interwebs" just before Al Gore invented the internet (no
political statement, just that is the way it was back then.) 15 3.5"
floppy disks, a 33Mhz 486, slackware, (and a really reliable USRobotics
modem.)

I found this thing called "RFC"... and Jim Postel was a man I really
wanted to meet.

Thanks, Randy, for reminding me of the shoulders I stand on.
Re: jon postel [ In reply to ]
On 10/16/22 15:55, Nathan Angelacos wrote:

> I got on the "interwebs" just before Al Gore invented the internet (no
> political statement, just that is the way it was back then.) 15 3.5"
> floppy disks, a 33Mhz 486, slackware, (and a really reliable USRobotics
> modem.)

About the same time for me, may have been a 286. I remember fiddling
with init strings and Trumpet Winsock.

It wasn't really the interWEBs then. The web was a small part of the
experience for me. USENET, email, FTP, Archie, gopher with a splash of
www for flavor.

--
Jay Hennigan - jay@west.net
Network Engineering - CCIE #7880
Re: jon postel [ In reply to ]
On October 16, 2022 at 14:18 randy@psg.com (Randy Bush) wrote:
> my favorite is
>
> It's perfectly appropriate to be upset. I thought of it in a slightly
> different way--like a space that we were exploring and, in the early days,
> we figured out this consistent path through the space: IP, TCP, and so on.
> What's been happening over the last few years is that the IETF is filling
> the rest of the space with every alternative approach, not necessarily any
> better. Every possible alternative is now being written down. And it's not
> useful. -- Jon Postel

Early unix had a similar philosophical debate. Everything is a simple
file (including most devices), make commands which do one thing and do
it well so they can be connected together in new ways (an almost
prescient view on the ubiquity of multi-cpu/core systems), when in
doubt generalize and let the user specialize for their needs, don't
try to guess everything your program will be used for.

Then we got: POP-QUIZ! Name which letters a-z which aren't options to
ls?

Granted computing was more data processing than UI back then, but even
desktop apps like word processing had this style (e.g., a separate
program to format math equations or tables which could be piped into
from the general word processing program in a pipeline, and another to
do final formatting for the printing device.)

--
-Barry Shein

Software Tool & Die | bzs@TheWorld.com | http://www.TheWorld.com
Purveyors to the Trade | Voice: +1 617-STD-WRLD | 800-THE-WRLD
The World: Since 1989 | A Public Information Utility | *oo*
Re: jon postel [ In reply to ]

> Early unix had a similar philosophical debate. Everything is a simple
> file (including most devices), make commands which do one thing and
> do it well so they can be connected together in new ways (an almost
> prescient view on the ubiquity of multi-cpu/core systems), when in
> doubt generalize and let the user specialize for their needs, don't
> try to guess everything your program will be used for.

Oh. you mean SaaS? or WebSockets? or REST? or :)

I remember an old guy I worked with. We were decommissioning our
Prime for this new thing called "Novell 286"

He said "The computer industry is like the car industry in the 50's.
We add more grille, more fenders, more wings. But it is still a car."
Re: jon postel [ In reply to ]
One of the best things about this list is first hand accounts of our
internet lore

Does anyone have any stories about working with or near John they would
like to share with the list? It would definitely make my day to hear more
about the early internet

Thanks,
Dan

Re: jon postel [ In reply to ]
> Does anyone have any stories about working with or near John they
> would like to share with the list? It would definitely make my day
> to hear more about the early internet

somewhere around i have a protocol violation ticket he issued.

---

Who says that routing unallocated address space is ungood? -- Randy Bush
Routing unallocated address space is ungood! -- Jon Postel

randy
Re: jon postel [ In reply to ]
On Sun, Oct 16, 2022 at 5:28 PM Daniel Sterling <sterling.daniel@gmail.com>
wrote:

> Does anyone have any stories about working with or near John they would
> like to share with the list? It would definitely make my day to hear more
> about the early internet

A good book on the topic of the early internet is "Where Wizards Stay Up
Late" by Katie Hafner and Matthew Lyon. A large part of the book covers
happenings at Bolt Beranek and Newman, and there are plenty of mentions of
Jon Postel.

Joseph
Re: jon postel [ In reply to ]
joey.was@gmail.com (Joseph) wrote:

> A good book on the topic of the early internet is "Where Wizards Stay Up
> Late" by Katie Hafner and Matthew Lyon.

+1

The only thing I have to criticize is that the book has way too few pages.
Re: jon postel [ In reply to ]
RFC 2468 is brief but captures the both pleasure of working with Jon and his selfless spirit
in pursuit of a better Internet.

/John

Re: jon postel [ In reply to ]
On 10/16/22 8:28 PM, Joseph wrote:
> A good book on the topic of the early internet is "Where Wizards Stay Up
> Late" by Katie Hafner and Matthew Lyon. A large part of the book covers
> happenings at Bolt Beranek and Newman, and there are plenty of mentions
> of Jon Postel.

+1 (with an extremely large value of one)

I have (re)read Where Wizards Stay Up Late /and/ recommended it to many
people many different times.

In my not so humble opinion, Where Wizards Stay Up Late should be
required reading for anyone wanting to learn about the history /
development of the ARPAnet and the Internet.

--
Grant. . . .
unix || die
Re: jon postel [ In reply to ]
On 2022-10-17, at 16:57, Grant Taylor via NANOG <nanog@nanog.org> wrote:

> In my not so humble opinion, Where Wizards Stay Up Late should be required reading for anyone wanting to learn about the history / development of the ARPAnet and the Internet.

That said, it would be a worthwhile project to collect the places in which this source can be supplemented with additional information (a.k.a. grains of salt).

Grüße, Carsten
Re: jon postel [ In reply to ]
On 10/17/22 10:54 AM, Carsten Bormann wrote:
> That said, it would be a worthwhile project to collect the places
> in which this source can be supplemented with additional information
> (a.k.a. grains of salt).

Agreed.

I believe there is much discussion to this effect on the Internet
History mailing list.

Link - Internet-history Info Page
- https://elists.isoc.org/mailman/listinfo/internet-history

--
Grant. . . .
unix || die
Re: jon postel [ In reply to ]
That book needs a sequel.

+10 on the internet history mailing list also.
Re: jon postel [ In reply to ]
Jon Postel participated in many online forums such as the tcp-ip mailing list. To access them, I’ve been using the archives at ban.ai <https://ban.ai/multics/non-multics-docs/tcpip-digest/sd-archive/>, but I can’t access them currently. They’re also available via Google Groups <https://groups.google.com/g/comp.protocols.tcp-ip>, but unfortunately there’s a lot of spam there. You could also visit the IETF mailing list archives <https://mailarchive.ietf.org/arch/browse/ietf/> that go back to 1992.

—gregbo

Re: jon postel [ In reply to ]
Fixed:

Where Wizards Stay Up Late should be
required reading for anyone wanting to learn about the history /
development of the ARPAnet and the Internet.

michael brooks
Sr. Network Engineer
Adams 12 Five Star Schools
720.972.4110
michael.brooks@adams12.org
::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::
"flying is learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss"

--
<https://www.adams12.org/>
Re: jon postel [ In reply to ]
Dave Taht wrote:
> That book needs a sequel.
>
> +10 on the internet history mailing list also.
Assuming you're referring to "Where Wizards Stay Up Late" ...

You might check out xbbn.org - which redirects to
http://exbbn.weebly.com/ - lots of collected personal recollections from
the old days.

It links to a variety of things, including:
http://exbbn.weebly.com/a-culture-of-innovation.html - which is
essentially oral history, through 2010, that extends a lot of the stuff
in the book.  There's an associated web site at
https://walden-family.com/bbn/ - Dave is basically our historian - and
https://walden-family.com/ has some more stuff of broader historic interest.

Miles Fidelman, BBN 1985-1992

In practice, there is. .... Yogi Berra

Theory is when you know everything but nothing works.
Practice is when everything works but no one knows why.
In our lab, theory and practice are combined:
nothing works and no one knows why. ... unknown
RE: jon postel [ In reply to ]
The book, being written by an actual credentialed historian, contains their complete sources as footnotes/endnotes. That section was overwhelming, I mostly skipped it...

Adam Thompson
Consultant, Infrastructure Services
MERLIN
100 - 135 Innovation Drive
Winnipeg, MB R3T 6A8
(204) 977-6824 or 1-800-430-6404 (MB only)
https://www.merlin.mb.ca
Chat with me on Teams: athompson@merlin.mb.ca

Re: jon postel [ In reply to ]
On Mon, 17 Oct 2022, 00:18 Randy Bush, <randy@psg.com> wrote:

> my favorite is
>
> It's perfectly appropriate to be upset.

Ack....

I thought of it in a slightly
> different way--like a space that we were exploring and, in the early days,
> we figured out this consistent path through the space: IP, TCP, and so on.

the impact of IP, TCP in improving human life across the globe in the last
decades can not be overstated.

Human enginuity through names like Google have enabled the age of
information and access to information through addresses and digital trade
routes have continued to ensure peace for humanity on the positive side of
the communications spectrum.

What's been happening over the last few years is that the IETF is filling
> the rest of the space with every alternative approach, not necessarily any
> better. Every possible alternative is now being written down. And it's
> not
> useful. -- Jon Postel

I suppose original human ideas and thoughts tends to stand the taste of
time.

Iterations often times leads back to the beginning.

Noah