Mailing List Archive

Request for BGP Community-to-text mappings for BGP Looking Glass
Dear all,

I'd like to ask help from the EBGP hivemind: the shiny new BGP looking
glass at https://lg.ring.nlnog.net/ supports displaying text strings
mapped from BGP community values (both simple and large communities).

Mapping BGP Community values to simple English human-readable text
phrases can help network operators better understand what the heck is
going on.

An example can be seen here, if you hover your mouse pointer over
2914:3200 you'll see "Europe":
https://lg.ring.nlnog.net/prefix?q=2001%3A67c%3A208c%3A%3A&match=exact&peer=all

This looking glass does not cache results, it is real time. What's
displayed on the website comes straight from the route collector's BGP
daemon.

Contributing mappings is very easy: just send pull-requests for files
in this directory: https://github.com/NLNOG/lg.ring.nlnog.net/tree/main/communities
The data format supports wildcards and ranges in case blocks of BGP
communities basically mean the same thing.

Please consider submitting what you know! The more the merrier.

[. disclaimer & welcome sign: Anyone can contribute! You don't need to be
the holder of a given ASN to submit comm2text mappings for that ASN.
All data is user-submitted. No attempt is made to validate the
mappings for accuracy. ]

Shout out to Teun Vink for authoring this very pretty webinterface for
OpenBGPD's JSON web API!

Kind regards,

Job
Re: Request for BGP Community-to-text mappings for BGP Looking Glass [ In reply to ]
Hi,

On 23 Sep 2022, at 18:01, Job Snijders via NANOG wrote:

> Dear all,
>
> I'd like to ask help from the EBGP hivemind: the shiny new BGP looking
> glass at https://lg.ring.nlnog.net/ supports displaying text strings
> mapped from BGP community values (both simple and large communities).

[…]
> Please consider submitting what you know! The more the merrier.
[…]

Hi,

Thanks for bringing this to everyone’s attention, Job! And thanks for
all the help getting the LG where it is now :)

As an alternative, feel free to send me (off list: teun@teun.tv) a list
of communities. But creating a pull request on our Github repository is
preferred of course.

Thanks,
Teun
Re: Request for BGP Community-to-text mappings for BGP Looking Glass [ In reply to ]
On Sat, Sep 24, 2022 at 12:57 AM, Teun Vink <nanog@nanog.org> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> On 23 Sep 2022, at 18:01, Job Snijders via NANOG wrote:
>
> Dear all,
>
> I'd like to ask help from the EBGP hivemind: the shiny new BGP looking
> glass at https://lg.ring.nlnog.net/ supports displaying text strings
> mapped from BGP community values (both simple and large communities).
>
> […]
>
> Please consider submitting what you know! The more the merrier.
>
> […]
>
> Hi,
>
> Thanks for bringing this to everyone’s attention, Job! And thanks for all
> the help getting the LG where it is now :)

Indeed. It's been a while since I'd last looked at the NLNOG LG and it's
gotten even more impressive over time…