Mailing List Archive

bufferbloat-beating customer shaping via LibreQoS
There's been a huge uptake in interest lately in doing better per
device and per customer shaping, especially for
ISPs, in the libreQoS.io project, which is leveraging the best ideas
bufferbloat project members have had over the
past decade (cake, bpf, xdp) to push an x86 middlebox well past the
10Gbit barrier, on sub-2k boxes, with really
good stats on backlogs, drops, and ecn marks. I've long primarily
tried to get fq_codel and cake running on the CPE (most recently
mikrotik), and that's been taking too long.

I have no idea to what extent members of this list have interest in
this, but if you know of a smaller ISP with bad bufferbloat,
please pass that link along? It's got ridiculously easier to set up as
a vm of late.

There is presently a design discussion going on over here:

https://github.com/rchac/LibreQoS/issues/57

And by mentioning it here, today, I'm mostly asking what other real
life use cases we should try to tackle? What backend tools should we
try to integrate with?

--
FQ World Domination pending: https://blog.cerowrt.org/post/state_of_fq_codel/
Dave Täht CEO, TekLibre, LLC
Re: bufferbloat-beating customer shaping via LibreQoS [ In reply to ]
> On Sep 18, 2022, at 12:25 PM, Dave Taht <dave.taht@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> ?There's been a huge uptake in interest lately in doing better per
> device and per customer shaping, especially for
> ISPs, in the libreQoS.io project, which is leveraging the best ideas
> bufferbloat project members have had over the
> past decade (cake, bpf, xdp) to push an x86 middlebox well past the
> 10Gbit barrier, on sub-2k boxes, with really
> good stats on backlogs, drops, and ecn marks. I've long primarily
> tried to get fq_codel and cake running on the CPE (most recently
> mikrotik), and that's been taking too long.
>
> I have no idea to what extent members of this list have interest in
> this, but if you know of a smaller ISP with bad bufferbloat,
> please pass that link along? It's got ridiculously easier to set up as
> a vm of late.
>
> There is presently a design discussion going on over here:
>
> https://github.com/rchac/LibreQoS/issues/57
>
> And by mentioning it here, today, I'm mostly asking what other real
> life use cases we should try to tackle? What backend tools should we
> try to integrate with?
>
> --
> FQ World Domination pending: https://blog.cerowrt.org/post/state_of_fq_codel/
> Dave Täht CEO, TekLibre, LLC

Take a look at Preseem as the features it has and graphs are great. WISPs need this type of system and would show added interest if it has those charts and metrics. The integrations are good also. HubSpot integration is a plus so we can pull user data out of it and add it to their HubSpot profiles.
Re: bufferbloat-beating customer shaping via LibreQoS [ In reply to ]
Thanks for the shoutout, Norman. Preseem isn’t at 50Gbps in 1U yet, but we
will get there.

I hope more folks listen to Dave, open vs. closed source solutions aside —
AQM makes a shocking amount of difference to quality of experience.

Jeremy

On Sun, Sep 18, 2022 at 2:14 PM Norman Jester <nj@ancientalien.com> wrote:

> > On Sep 18, 2022, at 12:25 PM, Dave Taht <dave.taht@gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> > ?There's been a huge uptake in interest lately in doing better per
> > device and per customer shaping, especially for
> > ISPs, in the libreQoS.io project, which is leveraging the best ideas
> > bufferbloat project members have had over the
> > past decade (cake, bpf, xdp) to push an x86 middlebox well past the
> > 10Gbit barrier, on sub-2k boxes, with really
> > good stats on backlogs, drops, and ecn marks. I've long primarily
> > tried to get fq_codel and cake running on the CPE (most recently
> > mikrotik), and that's been taking too long.
> >
> > I have no idea to what extent members of this list have interest in
> > this, but if you know of a smaller ISP with bad bufferbloat,
> > please pass that link along? It's got ridiculously easier to set up as
> > a vm of late.
> >
> > There is presently a design discussion going on over here:
> >
> > https://github.com/rchac/LibreQoS/issues/57
> >
> > And by mentioning it here, today, I'm mostly asking what other real
> > life use cases we should try to tackle? What backend tools should we
> > try to integrate with?
> >
> > --
> > FQ World Domination pending:
> https://blog.cerowrt.org/post/state_of_fq_codel/
> > Dave Täht CEO, TekLibre, LLC
>
> Take a look at Preseem as the features it has and graphs are great. WISPs
> need this type of system and would show added interest if it has those
> charts and metrics. The integrations are good also. HubSpot integration is
> a plus so we can pull user data out of it and add it to their HubSpot
> profiles.
>
> --
Jeremy Austin
jhaustin@gmail.com