to just the geofeed update portion of the Peering Portal?

--
Hugo Slabbert
Re: Providing geofeed info to Google [ In reply to ]
I was able to get access without peering with 15169 by getting access to
the ISP portal (isp.google.com) which does have Geofeed processing for my
AS, but I am unsure if you will get access without being an eyeball network.

Re: Providing geofeed info to Google [ In reply to ]
For what it's worth I attempted to get access by filling out the same
portal and was told to go pound sand, so your results may very.

Re: Providing geofeed info to Google [ In reply to ]
Dear Hugo,

On Tue, Aug 30, 2022 at 12:34:41PM -0700, Hugo Slabbert wrote:
> Google folks:
>
> I see historical reference to needing to use the Google Peering Portal (
> http://peering.google.com) if you need to provide Google with geofeed info
> for GeoIP info on network blocks, ref
> https://mailman.nanog.org/pipermail/nanog/2015-May/075229.html.
>
> Is that still the case? Are there any avenues to provide Google with
> geofeed info if you're *not* currently peering with 15169? Or to get access
> to just the geofeed update portion of the Peering Portal?

(I don't work for Google), but ...

There is a RFC detailing how to find Geofeed data (and make Geofeed data
findable): https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/html/rfc9092

The idea is that in inetnum/inet6num objects (which are maintained by
the IP prefix holder), the holder can point to the location where
Geofeed data can be found.

There are a few methods:

1) Use the 'geofeed:' RPSL attribute (the RIPE Whois server supports
this), example:

$ whois -h whois.ripe.net 146.75.0.0/16 | grep geofeed
geofeed: https://ip-geolocation.fastly.com/

2) A slightly uglier hack: stick a reference to the Geofeed location in
a RPSL remark (should work in databases which don't (yet) support the
'geofeed:' attribute), example:

$ whois -h whois.ripe.net 2001:67c:208c::/48 | grep Geofeed
remarks: Geofeed https://sobornost.net/geofeed.csv

Kind regards,

Job
Re: Providing geofeed info to Google [ In reply to ]
Gonna multi-reply on this one:

@Benjamin:

> I was able to get access without peering with 15169 by getting access to
the ISP portal (isp.google.com) which does have Geofeed processing for my
AS, but I am unsure if you will get access without being an eyeball network.

Thanks; I'll give that bash. I think our org might have tried this
previously before my time, but will see where we get to.

@Christopher:

> For what it's worth I attempted to get access by filling out the same
portal and was told to go pound sand, so your results may very.

Good to know. :fingers-crossed:

@Job:

Thanks! I was aware of the RIPE whois option, but the relevant resources
for us are in ARIN. I wasn't aware of the RPSL *remark* option for
providing that. We should be able to give that a bash.

Can anyone confirm if Google respects the remark-based option? Given the
authors and some of the wording, I would hope so?

--
Hugo Slabbert

Re: Providing geofeed info to Google [ In reply to ]
On Tue, Aug 30, 2022 at 01:28:18PM -0700, Hugo Slabbert wrote:
> @Job:
>
> Thanks! I was aware of the RIPE whois option, but the relevant resources
> for us are in ARIN. I wasn't aware of the RPSL *remark* option for
> providing that. We should be able to give that a bash.

Hmmm, there might be an obstacle due to lack of inetnum support in ARIN:
https://www.arin.net/participate/community/acsp/suggestions/2021/2021-27/

However there is good news: the last paragraph of RFC 9092 section 3
suggests a workaround specific to ARIN:

"Currently, the registry data published by ARIN are not the same
RPSL as that of the other registries (see [RFC7485] for a survey
of the WHOIS Tower of Babel); therefore, when fetching from ARIN
via FTP [RFC0959], WHOIS [RFC3912], the Registration Data Access
Protocol (RDAP) [RFC9082], etc., the "NetRange" attribute/key
MUST be treated as "inetnum", and the "Comment" attribute MUST
be treated as "remarks".

Perhaps you insert a "Comment: Geofeed https://xxx/geofeed.csv" in the
place where NetRange blobs come from?

Kind regards,

Job
Re: Providing geofeed info to Google [ In reply to ]
Good call, thanks. That appears to be via the assigned resources bit ("IP
Addresses" heading in Arin Online). Will give that a shot, thanks!

--
Hugo Slabbert

Re: Providing geofeed info to Google [ In reply to ]
Old topic: if one doesn't have access to https://isp.google.com how does
one update their geo-location data so Google sees it?

Thanks,

Hank

Re: Providing geofeed info to Google [ In reply to ]
Try putting it in your whois. More info on how this works and how to do
it here:

https://geolocatemuch.com/

Regards,
Robert