Have you tested leap second handling, especially in reverse? How do you simulate it? Are there existing test harnesses for simulating it?

Cheers,
-- jra
Re: IERS ponders reverse leapsecond... [ In reply to ]
On Wed, Aug 03, 2022 at 11:09:25AM -0400,
Jay Ashworth <jra@baylink.com> wrote
a message of 32 lines which said:

> General press loses its *mind*:

Indeed, they seem not to know what they write about. "atomic time –
the universal way time is measured on Earth – may have to change" They
don't even know the difference between TAI and UTC.
RE: IERS ponders reverse leapsecond... [ In reply to ]
True,

But it's hard enough to get developers to understand the need to code for 61 seconds in a minute, and now they would need to code for 59 seconds as well.

If time systems simply skewed the time so that 60 seconds actually just took 61 seconds or 59 seconds, there would be other issues, but coders wouldn't be involved.

RE: IERS ponders reverse leapsecond... [ In reply to ]
Sure.

ALL of this has been gamed out, and I had believed, handled, by the 8601 nerds, and we ignore that investment of work at our peril.

Re: IERS ponders reverse leapsecond... [ In reply to ]
Just to set the standard.

There is no "during" a negative leap second.

A positive leap second proceeds as
23:59:59
23:59:60 <--- second added here
00:00:00

A negative leap second proceeds as
23:59:58
00:00:00 <--- whoops! second 59 is gone!!!

Those systems that "smear" leap seconds over a 24 hour period will
presumably just smear in the reverse direction.

It would not surprise me at all if the liquid outer core keeps on its
slowdown and a negative leap second would need to be scheduled sooner
or later.

Regards
Marshall Eubanks

RE: IERS ponders reverse leapsecond... [ In reply to ]
On Wed, 3 Aug 2022, Matthew Huff wrote:

> But it's hard enough to get developers to understand the need to code for
> 61 seconds in a minute, and now they would need to code for 59 seconds as
> well.
>
> If time systems simply skewed the time so that 60 seconds actually just
> took 61 seconds or 59 seconds, there would be other issues, but coders
> wouldn't be involved.

Code will always be prone to failure due to inconsistent and incorrect
assumptions. And blindly trusting dependencies.

Hell, even the smartest engineers at Amazon built AWS using Pacific Time
in the DB rather than GMT/UTC. It was still Pacific Time when I left in
2014.

I'm sure there is/was code to calculate billing related to the jump
forward / fall back between Daylight Saving and Standard Time...

I'm looking forward to January 19, 2038 at 3:14am UTC when the 32-bit Unix
Timestamp will overflow.

This shouldn't cause huge issues, as most systems will not freak out and
die if the system clocks goes from 23:59:58 to 00:00:00. But things that
were supposed to happen at 23:59:59 on that day will never occur.
Hopefully the impact is minimal, but it won't be none.

Peter Beckman Internet Guy
beckman@angryox.com https://www.angryox.com/
RE: IERS ponders reverse leapsecond... [ In reply to ]
This is why we've internally standardized on Leap smearing, an added benefit is that it keeps us in sync with Google and AWS who also smear time in the same way.

Daniel Marks
d@nielmarks.com

Re: IERS ponders reverse leapsecond... [ In reply to ]