Mailing List Archive

1 2 3  View All
Re: 400G forwarding - how does it work? [ In reply to ]
On Mon, 8 Aug 2022 at 14:02, Masataka Ohta
<mohta@necom830.hpcl.titech.ac.jp> wrote:

> which is, unlike Yttinet, the reality.

Yttinet has pesky customers who care about single TCP performance over
long fat links, and observe poor performance with shallow buffers at
the provider end. Yttinet is cost sensitive and does not want to do
work, unless sufficiently motivated by paying customers.

--
++ytti
Re: 400G forwarding - how does it work? [ In reply to ]
Saku Ytti wrote:

>> which is, unlike Yttinet, the reality.
>
> Yttinet has pesky customers who care about single TCP performance over
> long fat links, and observe poor performance with shallow buffers at
> the provider end.

With such an imaginary assumption, according to the end to end
principle, the customers (the ends) should use paced TCP instead
of paying unnecessarily bloated amount of money to intelligent
intermediate entities of ISPs using expensive routers with
bloated buffers.

> Yttinet is cost sensitive and does not want to do
> work, unless sufficiently motivated by paying customers.

I understand that if customers follow the end to end principle,
revenue of "intelligent" ISPs will be reduced.

Masataka Ohta
Re: 400G forwarding - how does it work? [ In reply to ]
On Mon, 8 Aug 2022 at 14:37, Masataka Ohta
<mohta@necom830.hpcl.titech.ac.jp> wrote:

> With such an imaginary assumption, according to the end to end
> principle, the customers (the ends) should use paced TCP instead

I fully agree, unfortunately I do not control the whole problem
domain, and the solutions available with partial control over the
domain are less than elegant.

--
++ytti
Re: 400G forwarding - how does it work? [ In reply to ]
You keep using the term “imaginary” when presented with evidence that does not match your view of things.

There are many REAL scenarios where single flow high throughout TCP is a real requirements as well as high throughput extremely small packet size. In the case of the later, the market is extremely large, but it’s not Internet traffic.

Shane

RE: 400G forwarding - how does it work? [ In reply to ]
Also, for data center traffic, especially real-time market data and other UDP multicast traffic, micro-bursting is one of the biggest issues especially as you scale out your backbone. We have two 100GB switches, and have to distribute the traffic over a LACL link with 4 different 100GB ports on different ASIC even though the traffic < 1% just to account for micro-bursts.

Re: 400G forwarding - how does it work? [ In reply to ]
On Sun, Aug 7, 2022 at 11:24 PM Masataka Ohta
<mohta@necom830.hpcl.titech.ac.jp> wrote:

> sronan@ronan-online.com wrote:
>
> > There are MANY real world use cases which require high throughput at
> > 64 byte packet size.
>
> Certainly, there were imaginary world use cases which require
> to guarantee so high throughput of 64kbps with 48B payload
> size for which 20(40)B IP header was obviously painful and 5B
> header was used. At that time, poor fair queuing was assumed,
> which requires small packet size for short delay.
>
> But as fair queuing does not scale at all, they disappeared
> long ago.

What do you mean by FQ, exactly?

"5 tuple FQ" is scaling today on shaping middleboxes like preseem and
LibreQos to over 10gbits. ISP reported results of customer calls about
speed simply vanish. Admittedly the AQM is dropping or marking some
.x% of packets, but tests with fq with short buffers vs aqm alone
showed the former the clear winner, and fq+aqm took it in for the
score.

On linux fq_codel is the near universal default, also. The linux tcp
stack does fq+pacing at nearly 100gbits today on "BIG" tcp.

"disappeared", no. invisible, possible. transitioning from +10 gbit
down to 1gbit or less, really, really, useful. IMHO, and desparately
needed, in way more places.

Lastly VOCs and LAG and switch fabrics essentially FQ ports. In the
context of aggregating up to 400Gbit from that, you are FQing also.

Now fq-ing inline against the ip headers at 400gbit appeared
impossible until this convo when the depth of the pipeline and
hardware hashing was discussed, but I'll settle for more rfc7567
behavior just in stepping down from that, to 100, and from 100
stepping down, adding in fq+aqm.

--
FQ World Domination pending: https://blog.cerowrt.org/post/state_of_fq_codel/
Dave Täht CEO, TekLibre, LLC
Re: 400G forwarding - how does it work? [ In reply to ]
On Mon, Aug 8, 2022 at 5:39 AM <sronan@ronan-online.com> wrote:

> You keep using the term “imaginary” when presented with evidence that does
> not match your view of things.
>
> There are many REAL scenarios where single flow high throughout TCP is a
> real requirements as well as high throughput extremely small packet size.
> In the case of the later, the market is extremely large, but it’s not
> Internet traffic.

I believe this all started with asic experts saying trade-offs need to be
made to operate at crazy speeds in a single package.

Ohta-san is simply saying your usecase did not make the cut, which is
clear. That said, asic makers have gotten things wrong (for me), and some
things they can adjust in code, others not so much. The LPM / LEM lookup
table distribution is certainly one that has burned me in ipv6 and mpls
label scale, but thankfully SiliconOne can make some adjustments… but
watch-out if your network is anything other than /48s

The only thing that will change that is $$$.

RE: 400G forwarding - how does it work? [ In reply to ]
Saku,

I have forwarded your questions to Sharada.

All,

For this week – at 11:00am PST, Thursday 08/11, we will be joined by Guy Caspary (co-founder of Leaba Semiconductor (acquired by Cisco -> SiliconOne)

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=GDthnCj31_Y"]https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=GDthnCj31_Y

For the next week, I’m planning to get one of main architects of Broadcom DNX  (Jericho/Qumran/Ramon).

Cheers,

Jeff