Mailing List Archive

10 Do's + Don'ts for Visiting Québec + Register Now for N85!
*10 Do's + Don'ts for Visiting Québec*
*NANOG 85 Meeting Will Take Place Jun. 6 - 8 in Montréal*

We are delighted to cross international borders in our mission to grow,
inspire + profoundly build the Internet of tomorrow!

Montréal is Canada's second-largest city and is known for its melting pot
of diverse culture, established universities, enthralling art, food,
history + festivals. It has been called one of the world's "happiest
locations" as an estimated 45,000 immigrants relocate to the city every
year.

For those who don't call Québec home, we have prepared a list of cultural
"Do's and Don'ts" to help you quickly acclimate + thrive in this foreign
destination.

*READ MORE <https://www.nanog.org/stories/10-dos-dont-of-visting-québec/>*

*Register for NANOG 85 Today!*

Join us in person or virtually for NANOG 85. Don't miss your chance to
experience hours of ground-breaking industry talks, a legendary keynote
speaker, opportunities for networking + more.

*REGISTER NOW <https://www.nanog.org/events/nanog-85/>*
Re: 10 Do's + Don'ts for Visiting Québec + Register Now for N85! [ In reply to ]
On Thu, 5 May 2022 at 08:57, Nanog News <news@nanog.org> wrote:

> *10 Do's + Don'ts for Visiting Québec*
> *NANOG 85 Meeting Will Take Place Jun. 6 - 8 in Montréal*
>
> We are delighted to cross international borders in our mission to grow,
> inspire + profoundly build the Internet of tomorrow!
>
> Montréal is Canada's second-largest city and is known for its melting pot
> of diverse culture, established universities, enthralling art, food,
> history + festivals. It has been called one of the world's "happiest
> locations" as an estimated 45,000 immigrants relocate to the city every
> year.
>
> For those who don't call Québec home, we have prepared a list of cultural
> "Do's and Don'ts" to help you quickly acclimate + thrive in this foreign
> destination.
>
> *READ MORE <https://www.nanog.org/stories/10-dos-dont-of-visting-québec/>*
>

> I have lived ten minutes from Quebec and two hours from Montreal for a
long time, I have never encountered either item 1 or item 2. Of course,
there might be a place that won't take a credit card, but your credit card
company will charge you a fee and be happy to use a terrible exchange rate
as will restaurants if you pay in US cash.

Consider getting cash from your bank account at an ATM at a bank once you
land although there are fees there as well. If you are a TD bank customer,
TD is a Canadian Bank and that will eliminate a fee.

As for culture, smoked meat, bagels (they are different) and poutine should
be on this list.
RE: 10 Do's + Don'ts for Visiting Québec + Register Now for N85! [ In reply to ]
I think I have actually heard « tire-toi une bûche » before! But it was as a child, visiting our annual Fête du Voyageur historical re-enactment, and certainly not in any normal day-to-day setting.
I’m just happy that an American author (who quite likely has never been to Montreal), writing for an overwhelmingly-American audience, recognized that we have separate cultures in the first place.

Meanwhile, one thing I haven’t seen mentioned anywhere yet is ArriveCAN[1] and/or eTAs[2].
If you’re trying to enter Canada right now you must use the ArriveCAN system before you get to the border, or you’ll likely be denied entry. That means doing it before you get on the plane, not after you land.
Anyone entering Canada using a Canadian or American passport should not need an eTA (Electronic Travel Authorization, sort of an e-visa), but pretty much everyone else does (e.g. passports from Mexico or anywhere in the Caribbean, in this case).

Absolutely check this out for yourself, links are below, I am not guaranteeing in any way the accuracy, nor the durability, of what I’ve written here.

[2] Electronic Travel Authorization (eTA) - Canada.ca<https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/visit-canada/eta.html>
General info: Visit Canada - Canada.ca<https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/visit-canada.html?outside>
Official landing page: Welcome / Bienvenue | Foreign Affairs, Trade and Development Canada / Affaires Étrangères, Commerce et Développement Canada (canadainternational.gc.ca)<https://www.canadainternational.gc.ca/>

I already wrote all of this up for a conference based in Ottawa, that sees a large qty. of int’l visitors from around the world: BSDCan 2022 - Travel<https://www.bsdcan.org/2022/travel.php#mozTocId145341> Travelers from the US generally don’t have the kind of issues at customs I’ve described there.

-Adam

P.S. ArriveCAN is a pain to Canadians, too, I can’t just pop across the border for shopping trips whenever I want any more without planning for it in advance. Yeah, I know, first-world problems…

Adam Thompson
Consultant, Infrastructure Services
[MERLIN]
100 - 135 Innovation Drive
Winnipeg, MB R3T 6A8
(204) 977-6824 or 1-800-430-6404 (MB only)
https://www.merlin.mb.ca<https://www.merlin.mb.ca/>

Re: 10 Do's + Don'ts for Visiting Québec + Register Now for N85! [ In reply to ]
Having lived in and continue to spend as much time in Montreal as I can.
This list made be laugh, especially for a group where most of us do a lot
of travel.

Other then no right on red. Montreal like any other city. Don't be an ass
and enjoy yourself.

Re: 10 Do's + Don'ts for Visiting Québec + Register Now for N85! [ In reply to ]