Mailing List Archive

traceroute with load?
Historically the bufferbloat effort has used irtt, ping, mtr in combination
with a set of tcp flows to attempt to induce and graph the problem via the
flent tool. I haven't thought all that much about ecmp or isolating the
bloated hop until recently as an outgrowth of apple's networkQuality effort
here:

https://raw.githubusercontent.com/network-quality/draft-cpaasch-ippm-responsiveness/master/draft-cpaasch-ippm-responsiveness.txt

TCP_INFO, at least in linux, has now accumulated an amazing number of
useful looking statistics few are using as yet. monitoring hopcount also,
and perhaps changes to the flowid in transit possibly useful? Key to my
thinking at the moment, is I think it's possible, after viewing RTT
inflation, to drop the TTL during a fat flow to find where the bloated hop
is, and although I started drafting the ideas for the new tool here

https://github.com/dtaht/wtbb

I am sufficiently lazy to wonder if it's been done before? And what other
statistics would be useful to try and obtain?

--
I tried to build a better future, a few times:
https://wayforward.archive.org/?site=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.icei.org

Dave Täht CEO, TekLibre, LLC