http://www.ics-il.com

Midwest-IX
http://www.midwest-ix.com
Re: VoIP Provider DDoSes [ In reply to ]
Simwood's blog has a few articles from the past couple weeks with
commentary on the attacks to voip providers in the UK.
https://blog.simwood.com/2021/09/voip-ddos-fail-to-prepare/

Re: VoIP Provider DDoSes [ In reply to ]
Unlike http based services which can be placed behind cloudflare or
similar, harder to protect sip trunking servers.

The provider in question makes use of third party hosting services for each
of their cities' POPs. It is my understanding that for the most part they
do not run their own infrastructure but either rent dedicated servers or a
few rack units of Colo in each city.

I question whether some or any of those hosting companies have sufficient
inbound (200-400Gbps) capacity to weather a moderately sized DDoS.

Re: VoIP Provider DDoSes [ In reply to ]
On 9/21/21 4:09 PM, Eric Kuhnke wrote:
> Unlike http based services which can be placed behind cloudflare or
> similar, harder to protect sip trunking servers.
>
> The provider in question makes use of third party hosting services for
> each of their cities' POPs. It is my understanding that for the most
> part they do not run their own infrastructure but either rent
> dedicated servers or a few rack units of Colo in each city.
>
> I question whether some or any of those hosting companies have
> sufficient inbound (200-400Gbps) capacity to weather a moderately
> sized DDoS.

Which makes SIPoHTTP an inevitability.

Mike
Re: VoIP Provider DDoSes [ In reply to ]
Never heard of that one. WebRTC is maybe easier to protect from DDOS?

Brandon

Re: VoIP Provider DDoSes [ In reply to ]
On 9/21/21 6:46 PM, Brandon Svec via NANOG wrote:
> Never heard of that one. WebRTC is maybe easier to protect from DDOS?

I was just kidding/2. But webrtc don't have a signaling protocol. It can
be SIP but it can be completely home brewed too.

Mike

Re: VoIP Provider DDoSes [ In reply to ]
Brandon,

Actually, i work for a company that just purchased a start up that deals
with DDOS for WebRTC, Websockets and grpc.

Mike,

I could see that, especially since HTTP 3.0 is UDP.

Re: VoIP Provider DDoSes [ In reply to ]
Well, I suppose it depends on the type of DDoS.

Some of their sites are hosted with large outfits like Softlayer and Hivelocity. Yeah, some others are a lot smaller.

-----

Re: VoIP Provider DDoSes [ In reply to ]
https://twit.tv/shows/security-now/episodes/837?autostart=false

It looks like Security Now covered this yesterday. They claimed that, "There is currently no provider of large pipe VoIP protocol DDoS protection."

Are any of the cloud DDoS mitigation services offering a service like this.