Mailing List Archive

Alexa adds Severe Weather Alerts (old news Feb 2020)
Ok, I know -- old news. But I missed it during the whole pandamic thing
last year.

Since I previously criticized Amazon about this, and FCC is
requesting comments about Internet Emergency Alerts this month, a
correction.

I found out Amazon Alexa added Severe Weather Alerts last Febuary 2020.

Kudos to Amazon for doing this, despite the Amazon folks saying "no one
else asks about alerts," everytime I asked about it. Apple Siri and
Google Home, how are you doing alerts????

Now I have to change the Alexa example in my submission to the FCC :-)

Alexa's Monthly Roundup: February:
"Alexa can now proactively notify you when there’s severe weather. Simply
say “Alexa, tell me when there’s a severe weather alert” and Alexa will
notify you when there is a local severe weather warning."

FCC Notice of Proposed Rulemaking and Notice of Inquiry about Emergency
Alerts:

https://www.fcc.gov/document/fcc-proposes-further-strengthen-emergency-alerting-0

Page 25 of NPRM and NOI
A. Feasibility of EAS Participation for Internet-related services
[...]
"…complete an inquiry to examine the feasibility of updating the Emergency
Alert System to enable or improve alerts to consumers provided through the
internet, including through streaming services."
[...]