Designer The Things I Think RFC 2100
Ashworth & Associates http://www.bcp38.info 2000 Land Rover DII
St Petersburg FL USA BCP38: Ask For It By Name! +1 727 647 1274
Re: My First BGP-Hijacking Explanation [ In reply to ]
On Thu, 8 Apr 2021 at 17:51, Jay R. Ashworth <jra@baylink.com> wrote:

> Sam 'Half As Interesting' Denby actually did a surprisingly good job
> explaining
> this for the average only-vaguely-technical viewer...
>
> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K9gnRs33NOk
>
> [. For all the bad dad jokes he tells on HAI, he's got really good research
> skills/staff, and his long-form stuff on Wendover Productions is
> excellent ]

Indeed, with the exception of getting the expansion of BGP incorrect, he's
simplified it and explained it in a way that the average viewer can
understand... He's really good at that, and has done a great job with this!

Matthew Walster
Re: My First BGP-Hijacking Explanation [ In reply to ]
>> Sam 'Half As Interesting' Denby actually did a surprisingly good job
>> explaining
>> this for the average only-vaguely-technical viewer...
>>
>> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K9gnRs33NOk
>>
>> [. For all the bad dad jokes he tells on HAI, he's got really good research
>> skills/staff, and his long-form stuff on Wendover Productions is
>> excellent ]
>
> Indeed, with the exception of getting the expansion of BGP incorrect, he's
> simplified it and explained it in a way that the average viewer can
> understand... He's really good at that, and has done a great job with this!

He sure is. I did point up the definition bobble in a comment.

Cheers,
-- jra
--
Jay R. Ashworth Baylink jra@baylink.com
Re: My First BGP-Hijacking Explanation [ In reply to ]
Very well done , especially for a layman. His snark level is excellent too.

I've definitely shared this around to some people, pointing out that he
seems to know BGP better than they do, and they get paid for it. MY snark
is going over about as good as you might expect. :)

Re: My First BGP-Hijacking Explanation [ In reply to ]
If one follows the social media accounts of the Pakistan version of the
FCC, nowadays they're just banning anything they find insulting or illegal
in the local legal system, and ordering ISPs to null route big chunks of IP
space.

As an anecdotal data point, the only effect this has had is teaching random
14 year olds how to use ordinary consumer grade VPNs, which work just fine.

https://www.pta.gov.pk/en

Re: My First BGP-Hijacking Explanation [ In reply to ]
On 4/8/2021 12:19 PM, Eric Kuhnke wrote:

> As an anecdotal data point, the only effect this has had is teaching
> random 14 year olds how to use ordinary consumer grade VPNs, which
> work just fine.

That's a silver lining in the dark cloud.  They're learning networking;
sort of. :)

scott
Re: My First BGP-Hijacking Explanation [ In reply to ]

> As an anecdotal data point, the only effect this has had is teaching
> random 14 year olds how to use ordinary consumer grade VPNs, which work
> just fine.

Or, perhaps some kid watched that and said "Oh that's cool, I want to know
more about how that works!" , and planted a seed for a future career.

(More likely they went back to Fortnite videos, but one can dream, right?)

Re: My First BGP-Hijacking Explanation [ In reply to ]
On 4/9/21 00:19, Eric Kuhnke wrote:

> As an anecdotal data point, the only effect this has had is teaching
> random 14 year olds how to use ordinary consumer grade VPNs, which
> work just fine.

One way or the other, you can't keep the kids from what they want :-).

Mark.