Mailing List Archive

David Tilbrook / QEF - Re: gofundme Medical Expenses - Ed Hew
unrelated, but, David Tilbrook, an early Unix pioneer, passed away a week or
so ago. due to COVID.

https://leahneukirchen.org/blog/archive/2021/01/remembering-the-work-of-david-m-tilbrook-and-the-qed-editor.html

--jim

David Tilbrook / QEF - Re: gofundme Medical Expenses - Ed Hew [ In reply to ]
Let me say a few words about David Tilbrook.

Unlike the author of that very nice linked article below I knew David
quite well. I co-chaired a couple of Usenix conferences with him and
even flew to Toronto for his daughter's bat mitzvah (umm, because he
invited me), etc.

He was very smart, he'd spent years at the CS dept at CMU and on other
projects. Ron Baecker (CMU prof) credits David's student work as
fundamental to his 2005 SIGCHI award.

His focus was always on how do we make complex problems (in software
engineering) simpler and easier to understand and manage?

This short article credits him with the quip:

"Whenever faced with a problem, some people say `Lets use _____.'
Now, they have two problems."

https://news.ycombinator.com/item?id=5187686

He was very funny and very likeable.

I remember when we drew quite a participatory crowd at a San Francisco
Hilton Usenix conference (about 3,000 attendees) by starting a
penny-pitching contest -- toss pennies or other coins towards a wall
from some distance, whoever is closest to the wall in each round keeps
them all. It got quite out of hand but was a typical Tilbrook "well,
we might as well have some fun!"

Indeed, David, we might as well have some fun.

--
-Barry Shein

Software Tool & Die | bzs@TheWorld.com | http://www.TheWorld.com
Purveyors to the Trade | Voice: +1 617-STD-WRLD | 800-THE-WRLD
The World: Since 1989 | A Public Information Utility | *oo*