--jim

--
Jim Mercer Reptilian Research jim@reptiles.org +1 416 410-5633

Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of
arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather
to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up,
totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Wow! What a Ride!"
-- Hunter S. Thompson
Re: gofundme Medical Expenses - Ed Hew [ In reply to ]
So often we report here on nanog the passing of major Internet contributors, it seems even more fitting that we support these contributors when they’re in need through no fault of their own. Thanks for posting this, Jim.

-mel

Re: gofundme Medical Expenses - Ed Hew [ In reply to ]
On Mon, Jan 25, 2021 at 8:40 AM Jim Mercer <jim@reptiles.org> wrote:
> unsure if this is allowed or not, but, here goes.

Hi Jim,

This is a lie. If you weren't sure, you'd have asked if it was ok to
do the thing without actually doing the thing. That you went ahead and
did it says you were pretty sure it was against the rules and figured
you could get away with it. You may be right but the lie compounds the
offense.

I'm sorry to hear about Ed. Nevertheless, a lot of us are getting on
in age and health and the Internet doesn't need another mailing list
about how sad it is to grow old.

May I suggest: spend a line in your signature block on the off-topic
things you want folks on this group to know. And then attach it only
to messages which are on topic.

Regards,
Bill Herrin
Re: gofundme Medical Expenses - Ed Hew [ In reply to ]
Bill,

So, we can only mention in this forum the actual death of Internet pioneers, such as Mark Crispin, Jon Postel, and Jeanette Symons?

What if the person’s health is tied to a major infrastructure component, such as http://www.registry.ca? No? Not a valid “operational” case?

Your position seems to be "let us nip this in sad news the bud, before it spreads". Because, I guess, there are literally millions of selfless Internet pioneers, and we don’t want NANOG to be flooded with their memories, or at least their pleas for modest assistance as a token of appreciation for their lifetime of contribution.

“NANOG owes them nothing!”, you didn’t say, but I heard.

-mel

Re: gofundme Medical Expenses - Ed Hew [ In reply to ]
----- On Jan 25, 2021, at 8:37 AM, Jim Mercer jim@reptiles.org wrote:

Hi,

> https://www.gofundme.com/f/ed-hew-medical-expenses

Just a headsup for those outside of Canada. My transaction was processed
in CAD instead of USD. Not that I care as amex doesn't charge foreign fees
on my card, but if you have a choice of creditcards, pick the right one.

Thanks,

Sabri
Re: gofundme Medical Expenses - Ed Hew [ In reply to ]
On Mon, Jan 25, 2021 at 09:23:11AM -0800, William Herrin wrote:
> On Mon, Jan 25, 2021 at 8:40 AM Jim Mercer <jim@reptiles.org> wrote:
> > unsure if this is allowed or not, but, here goes.
>
> This is a lie.

there are a myriad of lists focused on free speech issues, and domestic and
international politics of all kinds.

how relative those are to the NANOG focus is pretty much up in the air.

there have been any number of threads, short, or overly long about the
deaths of contributors, so, i don't feel the least bit guilty for starting
this one about someone not quite there.

to each his own.

--jim

Re: gofundme Medical Expenses - Ed Hew [ In reply to ]
On Mon, Jan 25, 2021 at 10:04:02AM -0800, Sabri Berisha wrote:
> ----- On Jan 25, 2021, at 8:37 AM, Jim Mercer jim@reptiles.org wrote:
> > https://www.gofundme.com/f/ed-hew-medical-expenses
>
> Just a headsup for those outside of Canada. My transaction was processed
> in CAD instead of USD. Not that I care as amex doesn't charge foreign fees
> on my card, but if you have a choice of creditcards, pick the right one.

i could be wrong, but i think gofundme selects the currency based on who
sets up the fund, which in my case, is canada.

--jim

Re: gofundme Medical Expenses - Ed Hew [ In reply to ]
Guys, let's maybe turn the temperature down a bit.

Re: gofundme Medical Expenses - Ed Hew [ In reply to ]
On Mon, Jan 25, 2021 at 10:08 AM Jim Mercer <jim@reptiles.org> wrote:
> On Mon, Jan 25, 2021 at 09:23:11AM -0800, William Herrin wrote:
> > On Mon, Jan 25, 2021 at 8:40 AM Jim Mercer <jim@reptiles.org> wrote:
> > > unsure if this is allowed or not, but, here goes.
> >
> > This is a lie.
>
> there have been any number of threads, short, or overly long about the
> deaths of contributors, so, i don't feel the least bit guilty for starting
> this one about someone not quite there.

And I generally don't complain. It's not as if every one of my posts
has been flawlessly on topic. But when I do deliberately break the
rules, I try not to prefix it by pretending otherwise. And you're not
reporting on Ed's passing, you're making a money pitch on an
ends-justify-the-means basis.

Regards,
Bill Herrin
Re: gofundme Medical Expenses - Ed Hew [ In reply to ]
Tom,

I think it’s fair to defend good and decent ideas on NANOG.

In my opinion, it’s a good and decent idea that we spend a tiny amount of bandwidth acknowledging Internet pioneers and helping them as they encounter unexpected adversity. Jim’s posting of Ed Hew’s GoFundMe is just such a good and decent idea. I think Jim for it.

Not all of us are blessed with well-paying jobs and benefits at Fortune 500 companies. And health crises can strike any of us.

There, but for the grace of God, go we all.

-mel

What if the person’s health is tied to a major infrastructure component, such as http://www.registry.ca?<http://www.registry.ca/?> No? Not a valid “operational” case?

Re: gofundme Medical Expenses - Ed Hew [ In reply to ]
I personally have no issue with the OP, or the idea of recognizing the work
of those who have come before.

I just don't want to see this devolve into a pissing match that ends up
requiring a rule to be created about such things.

Re: gofundme Medical Expenses - Ed Hew [ In reply to ]
On Mon, Jan 25, 2021 at 01:41:35PM -0500, Tom Beecher wrote:
> I just don't want to see this devolve into a pissing match that ends up
> requiring a rule to be created about such things.

if we created rules for everything on this list that turned into a pissing match, we would have a lot of rules.

:-)

that being said, it was not my intent to start a deluge of requests for money,
or in memorial posts.

and, even if it did, those threads would soon die off, as with all the other
threads.

--jim