Software Tool & Die | bzs@TheWorld.com | http://www.TheWorld.com
Purveyors to the Trade | Voice: +1 617-STD-WRLD | 800-THE-WRLD
The World: Since 1989 | A Public Information Utility | *oo*
Re: USENET peers?! [ In reply to ]
On Wed, Jan 20, 2021 at 12:40 PM <bzs@theworld.com> wrote:
> 2. Usenet is dead and besides a full feed is 20+TB/day because it's
> dead, but 20TB/day...

Hi Barry,

How much is it per day if you skip the groups distributing
finger-quote "linux isos"?

Regards,
Bill Herrin
Re: USENET peers?! [ In reply to ]
On January 20, 2021 at 13:41 bill@herrin.us (William Herrin) wrote:
> On Wed, Jan 20, 2021 at 12:40 PM <bzs@theworld.com> wrote:
> > 2. Usenet is dead and besides a full feed is 20+TB/day because it's
> > dead, but 20TB/day...
>
> Hi Barry,
>
> How much is it per day if you skip the groups distributing
> finger-quote "linux isos"?

Around 300MB/day.

--
-Barry Shein

Re: USENET peers?! [ In reply to ]
On 1/20/21 3:50 PM, bzs@theworld.com wrote:
> Around 300MB/day.

Interesting.

I see 50-70 MB / day for text only newsgroups.

Perhaps I want to step up to more than text only on some of my servers.

--
Grant. . . .
unix || die
Re: USENET peers?! [ In reply to ]
On January 20, 2021 at 16:06 nanog@nanog.org (Grant Taylor via NANOG) wrote:
> On 1/20/21 3:50 PM, bzs@theworld.com wrote:
> > Around 300MB/day.
>
> Interesting.
>
> I see 50-70 MB / day for text only newsgroups.
>
> Perhaps I want to step up to more than text only on some of my servers.

That might be a little overstated, I just took the spool size and
divided by the # of days of retention but there may be some expiration
leakage and we do expire some groups faster or slower. And of course
that's an average.

YMMV.

> --
> Grant. . . .
> unix || die

Right now it's feeling like unix && die.

--
-Barry Shein