usage allowance, and resiliency. Liberty Communications has committed to
offering service to over 914,000 locations, and Puerto Rico Telephone
Company will offer service to over 308,000 locations.
Re: FCC Announces All Of Puerto Rico To Have Access To High-Speed Broadband Service [ In reply to ]
This seems like very good news. I am quite skeptical this can be accomplished per the provided numbers though.

Re: FCC Announces All Of Puerto Rico To Have Access To High-Speed Broadband Service [ In reply to ]
Seems you could do something with Wireless much easier, guaranteeing access
to speed of +/- 300mbits by using the CBAND spectrum that is coming
available. Why run wires to the home at all?

Re: FCC Announces All Of Puerto Rico To Have Access To High-Speed Broadband Service [ In reply to ]
Skeptical about the timing and scoping of the project.

Joe Klein

"inveniet viam, aut faciet" --- Seneca's Hercules Furens (Act II, Scene 1)
"*I skate to where the puck is going to be, not to where it has been."
-- *Wayne
Gretzky
"I never lose. I either win or learn" - Nelson Mandela

Re: FCC Announces All Of Puerto Rico To Have Access To High-Speed Broadband Service [ In reply to ]
Maybe it is for wireless. That would be more likely with those numbers, but still quite unbelievable.

My company does low voltage cabling. We charge more than $100 per drop to provide CAT6 in a newly constructed office building. It would be impossible to provide wires to 1.2 million locations across PR for $100/each.

Brandon

Re: FCC Announces All Of Puerto Rico To Have Access To High-Speed Broadband Service [ In reply to ]
I would guess the dollar numbers represent the amount that they are
receiving in incentives and not the total cost of construction.

Shane

Re: FCC Announces All Of Puerto Rico To Have Access To High-Speed Broadband Service [ In reply to ]
No WISP's just the local CLEC and cable company. Given the terrain in PR a
wireless delivery application might suit best.

Re: FCC Announces All Of Puerto Rico To Have Access To High-Speed Broadband Service [ In reply to ]
The press release doesn't reference at all, but Aeronet (the largest WISP
in Puerto Rico, and an operator of gigabit class service in MDUs) has been
testing Facebook/Terragraph 802.11ay 60 GHz based, point to multipoint last
mile stuff for a while now. Very short range, high speed, high capacity.

They use it in addition to a number of licensed band and 71-86 GHz PTP
links.

https://www.peeringdb.com/net/20459

Various 802.11ay based PtMP solutions are about to hit the market from 4 or
5 different competing vendors.

Re: FCC Announces All Of Puerto Rico To Have Access To High-Speed Broadband Service [ In reply to ]
WISPs really are best to accommodate these kinds of needs, but Washington has a hard time understanding bang for the buck.

-----
Mike Hammett
Intelligent Computing Solutions

Midwest Internet Exchange