(say, for example, you have a caretaker who lives on premises and you terminate the fiber in or near the caretaker’s apartment…)

(would this violate some tariff? could they refuse to install?)

(for me this harkens back to much earlier days where i would order dry copper loops intended for alarm purposes and run data or conditioned audio over them…)
Re: att or sonic "residential" fiber service at a "nontraditional" residence. [ In reply to ]
On 11/1/20 8:20 PM, Mark Seiden wrote:
> (would this violate some tariff? could they refuse to install?)

AT&T's fiber service is not a tariffed service anywhere that I know of.
They absolutely could refuse to install it at what they deem a
"business" location and likely would. I know Comcast will only install
"Business Class" service at what they deem "business" locations. I
assume this is, in both cases, due to the substantially higher margin on
"business" services.

As to what Sonic would do, I have no idea. Their market model is quite
a bit different. I also can't imagine they're actually overlaying
AT&T's fiber-to-the-prem network as, to my knowledge, AT&T does not
allow 3rd party access to it in any market.
--
Brandon Martin
Re: att or sonic "residential" fiber service at a "nontraditional" residence. [ In reply to ]
I’d say ‘it depends’ on the sales organization being willing to sell it.
The non-profit also has to realize that they get the same service
restoration speeds and customer support that a residential customer gets.

Re: att or sonic "residential" fiber service at a "nontraditional" residence. [ In reply to ]
> On Nov 1, 2020, at 5:32 PM, Fletcher Kittredge <fkittred@gwi.net> wrote:
>

> Sonic builds their own fiber; they are insurgents. This is a good thing and society would be better off with more competition among infrastructure providers. It needs to be funded somehow.

in san francisco, i know sonic was running their own fiber.

but i was surprised when in my suburban residential neighborhood sonic started advertising availability to me suspiciously close to when att started aggressively marketing
ftth as a substitute for ftt <neighborhood>

> You can cheat, but if you are a nonprofit doesn't that kinda go against mission?

well, depends what you think the mission of an arts organization or a library is in these troubled times.

that’s why i asked if this is cheating at any level other than that asserted by some vendor’s sales people. (i wtouldn’t want to violate a tariffed offering if only because
they would have a legitimate reason to terminate service and some regulator or puc decided on the equities of the pricing.)

i’ve never understand the “value of service” pricing (originated by ATT when it was “The Bell System") when it is deliberately decoupled from the cost of providing service.

recall that the phone company charged more for touchtone service for decades, even though dialing register holding times were much lower for touchtone than
dialpulse, so their costs were in fact lower for touchtone.

Ridge Winery (started by engineers) uses tasting glasses which are designated “water glasses” by a famous glass maker. the bowls of the glasses (where the art is)
are identical to those of their wine glasses, but the stems are an inch or so shorter. the price is about half. are they cheating? naah. they’re just smart glass hackers.

Re: att or sonic "residential" fiber service at a "nontraditional" residence. [ In reply to ]
On Sun, Nov 1, 2020 at 5:22 PM Mark Seiden <mis@seiden.com> wrote:
> if i don’t want an SLA, does anything keep a non-profit organization from ordering (from att or sonic) residential service at what normally would be considered a business location?

Hi Mark,

Generally speaking, the residential and business services are
constructed differently. The residential service will be PON while the
business service will be a classic fiber pair. Passive optical
networking (PON) is a single-fiber that splits a number of times
between you and the company's equipment. The classic fiber pair is two
strands of fiber direct between you and the company's equipment.

Since they won't have built the PON-based service to the business
location, they won't sell it to you there. And nothing you can do will
force them to re-purpose the fiber they did build to the business
location.

Regards,
Bill Herrin

--
Hire me! https://bill.herrin.us/resume/
Re: att or sonic "residential" fiber service at a "nontraditional" residence. [ In reply to ]
> On Nov 1, 2020, at 5:32 PM, Fletcher Kittredge <fkittred@gwi.net> wrote:
>

> Sonic builds their own fiber; they are insurgents. This is a good thing and society would be better off with more competition among infrastructure providers. It needs to be funded somehow.
>
> You can cheat, but if you are a nonprofit doesn't that kinda go against mission?

according to

https://www.sonic.com/residential

for the offering

“fusion IP Broadband”

Delivered over AT&T’s IP network using Fiber-to-the-Home or Fiber-to-the-Node Technology (technology based on location)

This service uses AT&T infrastructure and is installed by an AT&T technician, you are required to use an AT&T supplied modem. This will be provided during your installation.

Re: att or sonic "residential" fiber service at a "nontraditional" residence. [ In reply to ]
In article <098F44B7-3779-4AAD-BFBE-CCAEC8C3C751@seiden.com>,
Mark Seiden <mis@seiden.com> wrote:
>> You can cheat, but if you are a nonprofit doesn't that kinda go against mission?
>
>well, depends what you think the mission of an arts organization or a library is in these troubled times.
>
>that’s why i asked if this is cheating at any level other than that asserted by some vendor’s sales people. (i
>wtouldn’t want to violate a tariffed offering if only because
>they would have a legitimate reason to terminate service and some regulator or puc decided on the equities of the pricing.)

You might want to check and see what the rules are. Here in NY,
churches and I think some other non-profits get residential rates for
phone service.

John Levine, johnl@taugh.com, Primary Perpetrator of "The Internet for Dummies",
Re: att or sonic "residential" fiber service at a "nontraditional" residence. [ In reply to ]
Their site is confusing - they were historically (and still are, in most places) a DSL provider using AT&T for the last hop into the house. Over the past few years they’ve built out their own fiber network which currently has a much smaller footprint. Definitely by far the best residential internet service in the Bay Area, by a mile. They sell both under similar/nearly identical branding.

Matt

Re: att or sonic "residential" fiber service at a "nontraditional" residence. [ In reply to ]
Sonic both has their own FTTH and layers on top of ATT FTTH with Fusion IPBB I think it’s called. I don’t know the resale agreement details in place but it’s openly advertised as such on Sonic’s site.

Waiting for the true deal to land in my neighborhood ...

-George

Sent from my iPhone

> On Nov 1, 2020, at 8:55 PM, Matt Corallo <nanog@as397444.net> wrote:
>
> ?
> Their site is confusing - they were historically (and still are, in most places) a DSL provider using AT&T for the last hop into the house. Over the past few years they’ve built out their own fiber network which currently has a much smaller footprint. Definitely by far the best residential internet service in the Bay Area, by a mile. They sell both under similar/nearly identical branding.
>
> Matt
>
>>> On Nov 1, 2020, at 22:03, Mark Seiden <mis@seiden.com> wrote:
>>>
>> ?
>>
>>> On Nov 1, 2020, at 5:32 PM, Fletcher Kittredge <fkittred@gwi.net> wrote:
>>>

>>> Sonic builds their own fiber; they are insurgents. This is a good thing and society would be better off with more competition among infrastructure providers. It needs to be funded somehow.
>>>
>>> You can cheat, but if you are a nonprofit doesn't that kinda go against mission?
>>>

>> according to
>>
>> https://www.sonic.com/residential
>>
>> for the offering
>>
>> “fusion IP Broadband”
>>

>> Delivered over AT&T’s IP network using Fiber-to-the-Home or Fiber-to-the-Node Technology (technology based on location)
>>
>> This service uses AT&T infrastructure and is installed by an AT&T technician, you are required to use an AT&T supplied modem. This will be provided during your installation.
>>

>>> --
>>> Fletcher Kittredge
>>> GWI
>>> 207-602-1134