Really?

-Hank

Caveat: The views expressed above are solely my own and do not express the views or opinions of my employer
Re: ISPs are hit hardest by COVID-19 disruption [ In reply to ]
Just more hype looking to boost marketing

--
J. Hellenthal

The fact that there's a highway to Hell but only a stairway to Heaven says a lot about anticipated traffic volume.

Re: ISPs are hit hardest by COVID-19 disruption [ In reply to ]
On 8/6/20 4:20 PM, Hank Nussbacher wrote:

> https://betanews.com/2020/08/04/isps-covid-19-disruption/
>

> Really?

Not that I have seen.  Ours held up just fine.  No more and no less than
normal stuff.  We had to do the 'traffic shuffle' (a new dance move; no
really! :) but that's it.  They quote numbers like they know every
outage on every ISP's network, though.

scott
Re: ISPs are hit hardest by COVID-19 disruption [ In reply to ]
On 7/Aug/20 04:20, Hank Nussbacher wrote:

> https://betanews.com/2020/08/04/isps-covid-19-disruption/
>

> Really?

If there's anyone I dislike more than opportunistic sales people that
lurk on NOG mailing lists, it's "consultants" who "research" the
"telecoms landscape" so they can give you a "5-year strategy document"
on where your business needs to go, that you will be asked pay good
money for... money that could have gone to actual problems.

Mark.
Re: ISPs are hit hardest by COVID-19 disruption [ In reply to ]
On 7/Aug/20 04:30, J. Hellenthal via NANOG wrote:

> Just more hype looking to boost marketing

You can't blame anyone for trying to make a buck in these Coronavirus
times. I've always said that if "research companies" that make their
money writing "strategy reports" that cost tens and hundreds of
thousands, if not millions of $$ for the poor victims that fall for them
really knew where all the profit was going to come from, they wouldn't
be sharing those ideas. They'd be out there executing on those
strategies themselves.

Mark.
Re: ISPs are hit hardest by COVID-19 disruption [ In reply to ]
On 7/Aug/20 04:46, surfer wrote:

> Not that I have seen.  Ours held up just fine.  No more and no less
> than normal stuff.  We had to do the 'traffic shuffle' (a new dance
> move; no really! :) but that's it.  They quote numbers like they know
> every outage on every ISP's network, though.

Despite the telecoms industry being what it is nowadays, I'd say most
ISP's, globally, have actually benefited from people needing to use the
infrastructure more than ever.

Even for operators that may have lost some customers, revenues were
actually up.

Telecoms research consultants are paid to write reports. There is no
actual requirement for them to know what we really do.

Mark.
Re: ISPs are hit hardest by COVID-19 disruption [ In reply to ]
The findings from Thousand Eyes seems reasonable and data driven, but Mr
Barker's article on that report seems to have reached the wrong
conclusions and added a sensational headline that doesn't jive with the
data at all (IMO).

My take on the Thousand Eyes findings: ISP's performed more planned
upgrades in March-June than they did in January. Covid may have been a
kick in the butt for ISPs to finish projects that were already in the
works or start new upgrade projects. Nothing to see here.

Re: ISPs are hit hardest by COVID-19 disruption [ In reply to ]
This reminded me of a quote I read a long time ago: "Most people use statistics like a drunk man uses a lamppost; more for support than illumination"