Mailing List Archive

FCC Seeks Comment on Effects of June 15 T-Mobile Outage
FCC Public Safety and Homeland Security Bureau Seeks Comment on Effects of
June 15, 2020 T-Mobile Outage on Public Safety Entities, Government
Entities, and Consumers

https://www.fcc.gov/document/fcc-seeks-comment-effects-june-15-t-mobile-outage

From T-Mobile's statement:
https://www.t-mobile.com/news/update-for-customers-on-network-issues

"The trigger event is known to be a leased fiber circuit failure from a
third party provider in the Southeast. This is something that happens on
every mobile network, so we?ve worked with our vendors to build redundancy
and resiliency to make sure that these types of circuit failures don?t
affect customers. This redundancy failed us and resulted in an overload
situation that was then compounded by other factors. This overload
resulted in an IP traffic storm that spread from the Southeast to create
significant capacity issues across the IMS (IP multimedia Subsystem) core
network that supports VoLTE calls."

Other notable national telecommunication failures

AT&T - January 15 1990, AT&T Long Distance Network Collapse

MCI Worldcom - August 1999, Multi-day frame-relay network failure

Centurylink - December 27, 2018, 37-hour nationwide outage