Mailing List Archive

why am i in this handbasket? (was Devil's Advocate - Segment Routing, Why?)
< ranting of a curmudgeonly old privileged white male >

>>> MPLS was since day one proposed as enabler for services originally
>>> L3VPNs and RSVP-TE.
>> MPLS day one was mike o'dell wanting to move his city/city traffic
>> matrix from ATM to tag switching and open cascade's hold on tags.
> And IIRC, Tag switching day one was Cisco overreacting to Ipsilon.

i had not thought of it as overreacting; more embrace and devour. mo
and yakov, aided and abetted by sob and other ietf illuminati, helped
cisco take the ball away from Ipsilon, Force10, ...

but that is water over the damn, and my head is hurting a bit from
thinking on too many levels at once.

there is saku's point of distributing labels in IGP TLVs/LSAs. i
suspect he is correct, but good luck getting that anywhere in the
internet vendor task force. and that tells us a lot about whether we
can actually effect useful simplification and change.

is a significant part of the perception that there is a forwarding
problem the result of the vendors, 25 years later, still not
designing for v4/v6 parity?

there is the argument that switching MPLS is faster than IP; when the
pressure points i see are more at routing (BGP/LDP/RSVP/whatever),
recovery, and convergence.

did we really learn so little from IP routing that we need to
recreate analogous complexity and fragility in the MPLS control
plane? ( sound of steam eminating from saku's ears :)

and then there is buffering; which seems more serious than simple
forwarding rate. get it there faster so it can wait in a queue? my
principal impression of the Stanford/Google workshops was the parable
of the blind men and the elephant. though maybe Matt had the main
point: given scaling 4x, Moore's law can not save us and it will all
become paced protocols. will we now have a decade+ of BBR evolution
and tuning? if so, how do we engineer our networks for that?

and up 10,000m, we watch vendor software engineers hand crafting in
an assembler language with if/then/case/for, and running a chain of
checking software to look for horrors in their assembler programs.
it's the bleeping 21st century. why are the protocol specs not
formal and verified, and the code formally generated and verified?
and don't give me too slow given that the hardware folk seem to be
able to do 10x in the time it takes to run valgrind a few dozen
times.

we're extracting ore with hammers and chisels, and then hammering it
into shiny objects rather than safe and securable network design and
construction tools.

apologies. i hope you did not read this far.

randy
Re: why am i in this handbasket? (was Devil's Advocate - Segment Routing, Why?) [ In reply to ]
Randy Bush wrote:

>>> MPLS day one was mike o'dell wanting to move his city/city traffic
>>> matrix from ATM to tag switching and open cascade's hold on tags.
>> And IIRC, Tag switching day one was Cisco overreacting to Ipsilon.
>
> i had not thought of it as overreacting; more embrace and devour. mo
> and yakov, aided and abetted by sob and other ietf illuminati, helped
> cisco take the ball away from Ipsilon, Force10, ...

Ipsilon was hopeless because, as Yakov correctly pointed out, flow
driven approach to automatically detect flows does not scale.

The problem of MPLS, however, is that, it must also be flow driven,
because detailed route information at the destination is necessary
to prepare nested labels at the source, which costs a lot and should
be attempted only for detected flows.

> there is the argument that switching MPLS is faster than IP; when the
> pressure points i see are more at routing (BGP/LDP/RSVP/whatever),
> recovery, and convergence.

Routing table at IPv4 backbone today needs at most 16M entries to be
looked up by simple SRAM, which is as fast as MPLS look up, which is
one of a reason why we should obsolete IPv6.

Though resource reserved flows need their own routing table entries,
they should be charged proportional to duration of the reservation,
which can scale to afford the cost to have the entries.

Masataka Ohta
Re: why am i in this handbasket? (was Devil's Advocate - Segment Routing, Why?) [ In reply to ]
> there is saku's point of distributing labels in IGP TLVs/LSAs. i
> suspect he is correct, but good luck getting that anywhere in the
> internet vendor task force.

Perhaps I will surprise a few but this is not only already in RFC formats -
it is also shipping already across vendors for some time now.

SR-MPLS (as part of its spec) does exactly that. You do not need to use any
SR if you do not want, you still can encapsulate your packets with
transport label corresponding to your exit at any ingress and forget about
LDP for good.

But with that let's not forget that aggregation here is still not spec-ed
out well and to the best of my knowledge it is also not shipping yet. I
recently proposed an idea how to aggregate SRGBs .. one vendor is analyzing
it.

Best,
R.

Re: why am i in this handbasket? (was Devil's Advocate - Segment Routing, Why?) [ In reply to ]
> The problem of MPLS, however, is that, it must also be flow driven,
> because detailed route information at the destination is necessary
> to prepare nested labels at the source, which costs a lot and should
> be attempted only for detected flows.

MPLS is not flow driven. I sent some mail about it but perhaps it bounced.

MPLS LDP or L3VPNs was NEVER flow driven.

Since day one till today it was and still is purely destination based.

Transport is using LSP to egress PE (dst IP).

L3VPNs are using either per dst prefix, or per CE or per VRF labels. No
implementation does anything upon "flow detection" - to prepare any nested
labels. Even in FIBs all information is preprogrammed in hierarchical
fashion well before any flow packet arrives.

Thx,
R.

Re: why am i in this handbasket? (was Devil's Advocate - Segment Routing, Why?) [ In reply to ]
On 20/Jun/20 01:32, Randy Bush wrote:

> there is saku's point of distributing labels in IGP TLVs/LSAs. i
> suspect he is correct, but good luck getting that anywhere in the
> internet vendor task force. and that tells us a lot about whether we
> can actually effect useful simplification and change.

This is shipping today with SR-MPLS.

Besides still being brand new and not yet fully field tested by the
community, my other concern is unless you are running a Juniper and have
the energy to pull a "Vijay Gill" and move your entire backbone to
IS-IS, you'll get either no SR-ISISv6 support, no SR-OSPFv3 support, or
both, with all the vendors.

Which brings me back to the same piss-poor attention LDPv6 is getting,
which is, really, poor attention to IPv6.

Kind of hard for operators to take IPv6 seriously at this level if the
vendors, themselves, aren't.

> is a significant part of the perception that there is a forwarding
> problem the result of the vendors, 25 years later, still not
> designing for v4/v6 parity?

I think the forwarding is fine, if you're carrying the payload in MPLS.

The problem is the control plane. It's not insurmountable; the vendors
just want to do less work.

The issue is IPv4 is gone, and trying to keep it around will only lead
to the creation of more hacks, which will further complicate the control
and data plane.

> there is the argument that switching MPLS is faster than IP; when the
> pressure points i see are more at routing (BGP/LDP/RSVP/whatever),
> recovery, and convergence.

Either way, the MPLS or IP problem already has an existing solution. If
you like IP, you can keep it. If you like MPLS, you can keep it.

So I'd be spending less time on the forwarding (of course, if there are
ways to improve that and someone has the time, why not), and as you say,
work on fixing the control plane and the signaling for efficiency and scale.

> did we really learn so little from IP routing that we need to
> recreate analogous complexity and fragility in the MPLS control
> plane? ( sound of steam eminating from saku's ears :)

The path to SR-MPLS's inherent signaling carried in the IGP is an
optimum solution, that even I have been wanting since inception.

But, it's still too fresh, global deployment is terrible, and there is
still much to be learned about how it behaves outside of the lab.

For me, a graceful approach toward SR via LDPv6 makes sense. But, as
always, YMMV.

> and then there is buffering; which seems more serious than simple
> forwarding rate. get it there faster so it can wait in a queue? my
> principal impression of the Stanford/Google workshops was the parable
> of the blind men and the elephant. though maybe Matt had the main
> point: given scaling 4x, Moore's law can not save us and it will all
> become paced protocols. will we now have a decade+ of BBR evolution
> and tuning? if so, how do we engineer our networks for that?

This deserves a lot more attention than it's receiving. The problem is
it doesn't sound sexy enough to compile into a PPT that you can project
to suits whom you need to part with cash.

It doesn't have that 5G or SRv6 or Controller or IoT ring to it :-).

It's been a while since vendors that control a large portion of the
market paid real attention to their geeky side. The buffer problem, for
me, would fall into that category. Maybe a smaller, more agile, more
geeky start-up, can take the lead with this one.

> and up 10,000m, we watch vendor software engineers hand crafting in
> an assembler language with if/then/case/for, and running a chain of
> checking software to look for horrors in their assembler programs.
> it's the bleeping 21st century. why are the protocol specs not
> formal and verified, and the code formally generated and verified?
> and don't give me too slow given that the hardware folk seem to be
> able to do 10x in the time it takes to run valgrind a few dozen
> times.

And for today's episode of Jeopardy:

    "What used to be the IETF?"

> we're extracting ore with hammers and chisels, and then hammering it
> into shiny objects rather than safe and securable network design and
> construction tools.

Rush it out the factory, fast, even though it's not ready. Get all their
money before they board the ship and sail for Mars.

Mark.
Re: why am i in this handbasket? (was Devil's Advocate - Segment Routing, Why?) [ In reply to ]
On 20/Jun/20 15:39, Masataka Ohta wrote:

> Ipsilon was hopeless because, as Yakov correctly pointed out, flow
> driven approach to automatically detect flows does not scale.
>
> The problem of MPLS, however, is that, it must also be flow driven,
> because detailed route information at the destination is necessary
> to prepare nested labels at the source, which costs a lot and should
> be attempted only for detected flows.

Again, I think you are talking about what RSVP should have been.

RSVP != MPLS.

> Routing table at IPv4 backbone today needs at most 16M entries to be
> looked up by simple SRAM, which is as fast as MPLS look up, which is
> one of a reason why we should obsolete IPv6.

I'm not sure I should ask this in fear of taking this discussion way off
tangent... aaah, what the heck:

So if we can't assign hosts IPv4 anymore because it has run out, should
we obsolete IPv6 in favour of CGN? I know this works.

> Though resource reserved flows need their own routing table entries,
> they should be charged proportional to duration of the reservation,
> which can scale to afford the cost to have the entries.

RSVP failed to take off when it was designed.

Outside of capturing Netflow data (or tracking firewall state), nobody
really cares about handling flows at scale (no, I'm not talking about
ECMP).

Why would we want to do that in 2020 if we didn't in 2000?

Mark.
Re: why am i in this handbasket? (was Devil's Advocate - Segment Routing, Why?) [ In reply to ]
On 20/Jun/20 17:08, Robert Raszuk wrote:

> But with that let's not forget that aggregation here is still not
> spec-ed out well and to the best of my knowledge it is also not
> shipping yet. I recently proposed an idea how to aggregate SRGBs ..
> one vendor is analyzing it.

Hence why I think SR still needs time to grow up.

There are some things I can be maverick about. I don't think SR is it,
today.

Mark.
Re: why am i in this handbasket? (was Devil's Advocate - Segment Routing, Why?) [ In reply to ]
On 20/Jun/20 17:12, Robert Raszuk wrote:

> MPLS is not flow driven. I sent some mail about it but perhaps it
> bounced.
>
> MPLS LDP or L3VPNs was NEVER flow driven.
>
> Since day one till today it was and still is purely destination based.
>
> Transport is using LSP to egress PE (dst IP).
>
> L3VPNs are using either per dst prefix, or per CE or per VRF labels.
> No implementation does anything upon "flow detection" - to prepare any
> nested labels. Even in FIBs all information is preprogrammed in
> hierarchical fashion well before any flow packet arrives.

If you really don't like LDP or RSVP-TE, you can statically assign
labels and manually configure FEC's across your entire backbone. If
trading state for administration is your thing, of course :-).

Mark.
Re: why am i in this handbasket? (was Devil's Advocate - Segment Routing, Why?) [ In reply to ]
Robert Raszuk wrote:

> MPLS LDP or L3VPNs was NEVER flow driven.
>
> Since day one till today it was and still is purely destination based.

If information to create labels at or near sources to all the
possible destinations is distributed in advance, may be. But
it is effectively flat routing, or, in extreme cases, flat host
routing.

Or, if information to create labels to all the active destinations
is supplied on demand, it is flow driven.

On day one, Yakov said MPLS had scaled because of nested labels
corresponding to routing hierarchy.

Masataka Ohta
Re: why am i in this handbasket? (was Devil's Advocate - Segment Routing, Why?) [ In reply to ]
On 21/Jun/20 13:11, Masataka Ohta wrote:

> If information to create labels at or near sources to all the
> possible destinations is distributed in advance, may be.

But this is what happens today.

Whether you do it manually or use a label distribution protocol, FEC's
are pre-computed ahead of time.

What am I missing?

> But
> it is effectively flat routing, or, in extreme cases, flat host
> routing.

I still don't get it.

> Or, if information to create labels to all the active destinations
> is supplied on demand, it is flow driven.

What would the benefit of this be? Ingress and egress nodes don't come
and go. They are stuck in racks in data centres somewhere, and won't
disappear until a human wants them to. So why create labels on-demand if
a box to handle the traffic is already in place and actively working,
day-in, day-out?

Mark.
Re: why am i in this handbasket? (was Devil's Advocate - Segment Routing, Why?) [ In reply to ]
Mark Tinka wrote:

>> If information to create labels at or near sources to all the
>> possible destinations is distributed in advance, may be.
>
> But this is what happens today.

That is a tragedy.

> Whether you do it manually or use a label distribution protocol, FEC's
> are pre-computed ahead of time.
>
> What am I missing?

If all the link-wise (or, worse, host-wise) information of possible
destinations is distributed in advance to all the possible sources,
it is not hierarchical but flat (host) routing, which scales poorly.

Right?

>> But
>> it is effectively flat routing, or, in extreme cases, flat host
>> routing.
>
> I still don't get it.

Why, do you think, flat routing does not but hierarchical
routing does scale?

It is because detailed information to reach destinations
below certain level is advertised not globally but only for
small part of the network around the destinations.

That is, with hierarchical routing, detailed information
around destinations is actively hidden from sources.

So, with hierarchical routing, routing protocols can
carry only rough information around destinations, from
which, source side can not construct detailed (often
purposelessly nested) labels required for MPLS.

> So why create labels on-demand if
> a box to handle the traffic is already in place and actively working,
> day-in, day-out?

According to your theory to ignore routing traffic, we can be happy
with global *host* routing table with 4G entries for IPv4 and a lot
lot lot more than that for IPv6. CIDR should be unnecessary
complication to the Internet

With nested labels, you don't need so much labels at certain nesting
level, which was the point of Yakov, which does not mean you don't
need so much information to create entire nested labels at or near
the sources.

The problem is that we can't afford traffic (and associated processing
by all the related routers or things like those) and storage (at or
near source) for routing (or MPLS, SR* or whatever) with such detailed
routing at the destinations.

Masataka Ohta
Re: why am i in this handbasket? (was Devil's Advocate - Segment Routing, Why?) [ In reply to ]
It is destination based flat routing distributed 100% before any data
packet within each layer - yes. But layers are decoupled so in a sense this
is what defines a hierarchy overall.

So transport is using MPLS LSPs most often hosts IGP routes are matched
with LDP FECs and flooded everywhere in spite of RFC 5283 at least allowing
to aggregate IGP.

Then say L2VPNs or L3VPNs with their own choice of routing protocols are in
turn distributing reachability for the customer sites. Those are service
routes linked to transport by BGP next hop(s).

Many thx,
R.

Re: why am i in this handbasket? (was Devil's Advocate - Segment Routing, Why?) [ In reply to ]
Let's clarify a few things ...

On Sun, Jun 21, 2020 at 2:39 PM Masataka Ohta <
mohta@necom830.hpcl.titech.ac.jp> wrote:

If all the link-wise (or, worse, host-wise) information of possible
> destinations is distributed in advance to all the possible sources,
> it is not hierarchical but flat (host) routing, which scales poorly.
>
> Right?

Neither link wise nor host wise information is required to accomplish say
L3VPN services. Imagine you have three sites which would like to
interconnect each with 1000s of users.

So all you are exchanging as part of VPN overlay is three subnets.

Moreover if you have 1000 PEs and those three sites are attached only to 6
of them - only those 6 PEs will need to learn those routes (Hint: RTC -
RFC4684)

It is because detailed information to reach destinations
> below certain level is advertised not globally but only for
> small part of the network around the destinations.

Same thing here.

> That is, with hierarchical routing, detailed information
> around destinations is actively hidden from sources.

Same thing here.

That is why as described we use label stack. Top label is responsible to
get you to the egress PE. Service label sitting behind top label is
responsible to get you through to the customer site (with or without IP
lookup at egress PE).

> So, with hierarchical routing, routing protocols can
> carry only rough information around destinations, from
> which, source side can not construct detailed (often
> purposelessly nested) labels required for MPLS.

Usually sources have no idea of MPLS. MPLS to the host never took off.

> According to your theory to ignore routing traffic, we can be happy
> with global *host* routing table with 4G entries for IPv4 and a lot
> lot lot more than that for IPv6. CIDR should be unnecessary
> complication to the Internet

I do not think any one saying it here.

> With nested labels, you don't need so much labels at certain nesting
> level, which was the point of Yakov, which does not mean you don't
> need so much information to create entire nested labels at or near
> the sources.

Label stack is here from day one. Each layer of the stack has a completely
different role. That is your hierarchy.

Kind regards,
R.
Re: why am i in this handbasket? (was Devil's Advocate - Segment Routing, Why?) [ In reply to ]
On 21/Jun/20 14:36, Masataka Ohta wrote:

> That is a tragedy.

Well...

> If all the link-wise (or, worse, host-wise) information of possible
> destinations is distributed in advance to all the possible sources,
> it is not hierarchical but flat (host) routing, which scales poorly.
>
> Right?

Host NLRI is summarized in iBGP within the domain, and eBGP outside the
domain.

It's no longer novel to distribute end-user NLRI in the IGP. If folk are
still doing that, I can't feel sympathy for the pain they may experience.

> Why, do you think, flat routing does not but hierarchical
> routing does scale?
>
> It is because detailed information to reach destinations
> below certain level is advertised not globally but only for
> small part of the network around the destinations.
>
> That is, with hierarchical routing, detailed information
> around destinations is actively hidden from sources.
>
> So, with hierarchical routing, routing protocols can
> carry only rough information around destinations, from
> which, source side can not construct detailed (often
> purposelessly nested) labels required for MPLS.

But hosts often point default to a clever router.

That clever router could also either point default to the provider, or
carry a full BGP table from the provider.

Neither the host nor their first-hop gateway need to be MPLS-aware.

There are use-cases where a customer CPE can be MPLS-aware, but I'd say
that in nearly 99.999% of all cases, CPE are never MPLS-aware.

> According to your theory to ignore routing traffic, we can be happy
> with global *host* routing table with 4G entries for IPv4 and a lot
> lot lot more than that for IPv6. CIDR should be unnecessary
> complication to the Internet

Not sure what Internet you're running, but I, generally, accept
aggregate IPv4 and IPv6 BGP routes from other AS's. I don't need to know
every /32 or /128 host that sits behind them.

> With nested labels, you don't need so much labels at certain nesting
> level, which was the point of Yakov, which does not mean you don't
> need so much information to create entire nested labels at or near
> the sources.

I don't know what Yakov advertised back in the day, but looking at what
I and a ton of others are running in practice, in the real world, today,
I don't see what you're talking about.

Again, if you can identify an actual scenario today, in a live, large
scale (or even small scale) network, I'd like to know.

I'm talking about what's in practice, not theory.

> The problem is that we can't afford traffic (and associated processing
> by all the related routers or things like those) and storage (at or
> near source) for routing (or MPLS, SR* or whatever) with such detailed
> routing at the destinations.

Again, I disagree as I mentioned earlier, because you won't be able to
buy a router today that does only IP any cheaper than it does both IP
and MPLS.

MPLS has become mainstream, that its economies of scale have made the
consideration between it and IP a non-starter. Heck, you can even do it
in Linux...

Mark.
RE: why am i in this handbasket? (was Devil's Advocate - Segment Routing, Why?) [ In reply to ]
But MPLS can be made flow driven (it can be made whatever the policy dictates), for instance DSCP driven…

adam