Mailing List Archive

1 2  View All
Re: :New web app for setup and replacement for mythweb [ In reply to ]
I'm also no artist and don't program at the GUI level, but as a user I
think the mythweb interface is pretty good. For something thats used day
after day its much more pleasant to use. The previous backend at 6544 is
also not bad.

I would suggest either merging in the displays from mythweb, or just
supporting mythweb going forward. I'm sure there are more modern gui
toolkits, but mythweb is ok. (It would be nice to fix the broken
streaming/download pieces in it.)

At very least breaking up your upcoming and recordings tabs with day
separation would be useful.

I don't see any urgency on this as long as mythweb stays functional.

I think the setup functionality is great, and the graphics/gui  are of
little consequence for something one uses once or seldom.

Ken

Re: :New web app for setup and replacement for mythweb [ In reply to ]
I just did a test of installing on a RPI4 4GB and configuring with webapp.
TL:DR it worked.

I started with Raspberry PI OS Lite and put that on a USB NVME drive.

1. update system
2. install using ansible, the dependencies
3. install mariadb-server
4. Built from source per wiki, but I forgot to create the user mythtv which
caused an issue when I tried to create the /srv/mythtv directories and
chown on them to mythtv. So I fixed that then.
4. On the pi console I ran mythbackend.
5. On a remote PC I ran Chrome and used the webapp to configure the backend
completely.

Some issues:
1. I've noticed that you can't use the browser refresh on a page like guide
and have it refresh the guide. it's just 404's. I was doing the refresh
while waiting for the EIT to update the listings.
2. Sometimes clicking on the restart backend fixes the issue and sometimes
you have to either reboot or CTRL-C out of mythbackend and rerun it.
3. If a long title on the recordings page or upcoming page doesn't fit, the
first line is cut in half. when I went full screen on the browser it fixed
it. Not sure if you have a way to make adjustments to font size or just
truncate to make the first 2 lines visible.

Jim A
Re: :New web app for setup and replacement for mythweb [ In reply to ]
On 6/2/23 14:38, James Abernathy wrote:
> I just did a test of installing on a RPI4 4GB and configuring with
> webapp.  TL:DR it worked.
>
> I started with Raspberry PI OS Lite and put that on a USB NVME drive.
>
> 1. update system
> 2. install using ansible, the dependencies
> 3. install mariadb-server
> 4. Built from source per wiki, but I forgot to create the user mythtv
> which caused an issue when I tried to create the /srv/mythtv
> directories and chown on them to mythtv. So I fixed that then.
> 4. On the pi console I ran mythbackend.
> 5. On a remote PC I ran Chrome and used the webapp to configure the
> backend completely.
>
> Some issues:
> 1. I've noticed that you can't use the browser refresh on a page like
> guide and have it refresh the guide. it's just 404's. I was doing the
> refresh while waiting for the EIT to update the listings.
Thanks for letting me know - I have fixed that now.
> 2. Sometimes clicking on the restart backend fixes the issue and
> sometimes you have to either reboot or CTRL-C out of mythbackend and
> rerun it.
Please can you explain. Are you saying that the "Restart Backend" button
does not actually restart the backend sometimes? Or is there another
issue? What sort of problem requires you to reboot?
> 3. If a long title on the recordings page or upcoming page doesn't
> fit, the first line is cut in half.  when I went full screen on the
> browser it fixed it.  Not sure if you have a way to make adjustments
> to font size or just truncate to make the first 2 lines visible.

I see the line overwriting, like this, see link below. Is that what you
mean? I will see if I can make it do something more reasonable, like
truncating the description.

https://i.imgur.com/ZPnMDoJ.jpg

Thank you for all the testing and the feedback!

Peter
Re: :New web app for setup and replacement for mythweb [ In reply to ]
On Fri, Jun 2, 2023 at 5:20?PM Peter Bennett <pb.mythtv@gmail.com> wrote:

> On 6/2/23 14:38, James Abernathy wrote:
> > I just did a test of installing on a RPI4 4GB and configuring with
> > webapp. TL:DR it worked.
> >
> > I started with Raspberry PI OS Lite and put that on a USB NVME drive.
> >
> > 1. update system
> > 2. install using ansible, the dependencies
> > 3. install mariadb-server
> > 4. Built from source per wiki, but I forgot to create the user mythtv
> > which caused an issue when I tried to create the /srv/mythtv
> > directories and chown on them to mythtv. So I fixed that then.
> > 4. On the pi console I ran mythbackend.
> > 5. On a remote PC I ran Chrome and used the webapp to configure the
> > backend completely.
> >
> > Some issues:
> > 1. I've noticed that you can't use the browser refresh on a page like
> > guide and have it refresh the guide. it's just 404's. I was doing the
> > refresh while waiting for the EIT to update the listings.
> Thanks for letting me know - I have fixed that now.
> > 2. Sometimes clicking on the restart backend fixes the issue and
> > sometimes you have to either reboot or CTRL-C out of mythbackend and
> > rerun it.
> Please can you explain. Are you saying that the "Restart Backend" button
> does not actually restart the backend sometimes? Or is there another
> issue? What sort of problem requires you to reboot?

I'm not completely sure. I see the same thing when I complete setup using
mythtv-setup. Sometimes I can systemctl restart and sometimes I have to
reboot.
I'll try to do a fresh install now that I know what is supposed to happen
and pay more attention to the mythbackend console log.

> > 3. If a long title on the recordings page or upcoming page doesn't
> > fit, the first line is cut in half. when I went full screen on the
> > browser it fixed it. Not sure if you have a way to make adjustments
> > to font size or just truncate to make the first 2 lines visible.
> >
> I see the line overwriting, like this, see link below. Is that what you
> mean? I will see if I can make it do something more reasonable, like
> truncating the description.
>
> https://i.imgur.com/ZPnMDoJ.jpg

Very similar to that!

> Thank you for all the testing and the feedback!
>
> Peter

Glad to help with the testing. I only really have 2 jobs right now:
1. playing with projects on he PCs
2. tasting bourbon for the liquor industry.

Jim A
Re: New web app for setup and replacement for mythweb [ In reply to ]
On Wed, May 31, 2023 at 8:20?PM Peter Bennett <pb.mythtv@gmail.com> wrote:

> There are instructions for developers that include the precise software
> versions we are using, at https://www.mythtv.org/wiki/WebApp_Development .

The project has previously stated that ansible
is the proper way to install the development
environment.

Now that you have stated that you have
decided not to support that (i.e. you are
choosing to abandon it for manual
instructions), I guess I will stop my
occasional PR's to update ansible. I
guess you will also be updating the wiki
to no longer recommend ansible now
that you have decided otherwise.

Thanks for the update!
Re: New web app for setup and replacement for mythweb [ In reply to ]
On Wed, Jun 7, 2023 at 6:19?AM Gary Buhrmaster <gary.buhrmaster@gmail.com>
wrote:

> On Wed, May 31, 2023 at 8:20?PM Peter Bennett <pb.mythtv@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > There are instructions for developers that include the precise software
> > versions we are using, at https://www.mythtv.org/wiki/WebApp_Development
> .
>
> The project has previously stated that ansible
> is the proper way to install the development
> environment.
>
> Now that you have stated that you have
> decided not to support that (i.e. you are
> choosing to abandon it for manual
> instructions), I guess I will stop my
> occasional PR's to update ansible. I
> guess you will also be updating the wiki
> to no longer recommend ansible now
> that you have decided otherwise.
>
> Thanks for the update!

Dumb question for the peanut gallery. I know ansible is used when building
from source to install all the mythtv dependencies. It seems to be up to
date for most distros I use.

It seems that any additional packages needed to compile/build the addition
of the web app would need to be included in the ansible playbook for mythtv.

Did I miss something?

Jim A
Re: New web app for setup and replacement for mythweb [ In reply to ]
On Wed, Jun 7, 2023 at 6:38?AM James Abernathy <jfabernathy@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Wed, Jun 7, 2023 at 6:19?AM Gary Buhrmaster <gary.buhrmaster@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> On Wed, May 31, 2023 at 8:20?PM Peter Bennett <pb.mythtv@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> > There are instructions for developers that include the precise software
>> > versions we are using, at https://www.mythtv.org/wiki/WebApp_Development .
>>
>> The project has previously stated that ansible
>> is the proper way to install the development
>> environment.
>>
>> Now that you have stated that you have
>> decided not to support that (i.e. you are
>> choosing to abandon it for manual
>> instructions), I guess I will stop my
>> occasional PR's to update ansible. I
>> guess you will also be updating the wiki
>> to no longer recommend ansible now
>> that you have decided otherwise.
>>
>> Thanks for the update!
>>

> Dumb question for the peanut gallery. I know ansible is used when building from source to install all the mythtv dependencies. It seems to be up to date for most distros I use.
>
> It seems that any additional packages needed to compile/build the addition of the web app would need to be included in the ansible playbook for mythtv.
>
> Did I miss something?

Peter said that you don't use ansible, you
now follow the instructions on the wiki.
That is a change in recommended practice.
Re: New web app for setup and replacement for mythweb [ In reply to ]
On 6/7/23 06:17, Gary Buhrmaster wrote:
> On Wed, May 31, 2023 at 8:20?PM Peter Bennett <pb.mythtv@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> There are instructions for developers that include the precise software
>> versions we are using, at https://www.mythtv.org/wiki/WebApp_Development .
> The project has previously stated that ansible
> is the proper way to install the development
> environment.
>
> Now that you have stated that you have
> decided not to support that (i.e. you are
> choosing to abandon it for manual
> instructions), I guess I will stop my
> occasional PR's to update ansible. I
> guess you will also be updating the wiki
> to no longer recommend ansible now
> that you have decided otherwise.
>
> Thanks for the update!

Hi Gary

I am not announcing a new policy for MythTV.

I am not the project leader of MythTV and I don't make policy decisions.

Stuart asked for volunteers to help with the new web app. I volunteered
a year ago and since then I am the only person to have developed it.

I am developing it according to instructions from Stuart and Paul. That
wiki page was set up by them.

I will ask Stuart and Paul to respond to your comments.

Peter

Re: New web app for setup and replacement for mythweb [ In reply to ]
> On 7 Jun 2023, at 6:51 pm, Gary Buhrmaster <gary.buhrmaster@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> On Wed, Jun 7, 2023 at 6:38?AM James Abernathy <jfabernathy@gmail.com <mailto:jfabernathy@gmail.com>> wrote:

>>> The project has previously stated that ansible
>>> is the proper way to install the development
>>> environment.
>>>
>>> Now that you have stated that you have
>>> decided not to support that (i.e. you are
>>> choosing to abandon it for manual
>>> instructions), I guess I will stop my
>>> occasional PR's to update ansible. I
>>> guess you will also be updating the wiki
>>> to no longer recommend ansible now
>>> that you have decided otherwise.
>>>
>>> Thanks for the update!
>>>

>> Dumb question for the peanut gallery. I know ansible is used when building from source to install all the mythtv dependencies. It seems to be up to date for most distros I use.
>>
>> It seems that any additional packages needed to compile/build the addition of the web app would need to be included in the ansible playbook for mythtv.
>>
>> Did I miss something?
>
> Peter said that you don't use ansible, you
> now follow the instructions on the wiki.
> That is a change in recommended practice.

Peter it is meet and right that a developer, especially one making a signifiant contribution, should use whatever tools that they fancy.
Debian is anal about non-foss. I, and I guess that many folk here, am anal about the Borg. So having Visual Studio as a development requirement is a great pity: It means I will never build, and depending on the run environment may never use the tool.
James
Re: New web app for setup and replacement for mythweb [ In reply to ]
On 6/7/23 06:51, Gary Buhrmaster wrote:
> On Wed, Jun 7, 2023 at 6:38?AM James Abernathy <jfabernathy@gmail.com> wrote:

>>> The project has previously stated that ansible
>>> is the proper way to install the development
>>> environment.
>>>
>>> Now that you have stated that you have
>>> decided not to support that (i.e. you are
>>> choosing to abandon it for manual
>>> instructions), I guess I will stop my
>>> occasional PR's to update ansible. I
>>> guess you will also be updating the wiki
>>> to no longer recommend ansible now
>>> that you have decided otherwise.
>>>
>>> Thanks for the update!
>>>
>> Dumb question for the peanut gallery. I know ansible is used when building from source to install all the mythtv dependencies. It seems to be up to date for most distros I use.
>>
>> It seems that any additional packages needed to compile/build the addition of the web app would need to be included in the ansible playbook for mythtv.
>>
>> Did I miss something?
> Peter said that you don't use ansible, you
> now follow the instructions on the wiki.
> That is a change in recommended practice.

The web app is built by the developer (me) and the generated javascript
files are added to git. It does not change the process for building
MythTV. It has been this way since 2015 with the original web app (the
one on port 6544).

You can continue building the way you always have.

Peter

Re: New web app for setup and replacement for mythweb [ In reply to ]
> On 7 Jun 2023, at 9:45 pm, Peter Bennett <pb.mythtv@gmail.com> wrote:
>

> On 6/7/23 06:51, Gary Buhrmaster wrote:

>>> Dumb question for the peanut gallery. I know ansible is used when building from source to install all the mythtv dependencies. It seems to be up to date for most distros I use.
>>>
>>> It seems that any additional packages needed to compile/build the addition of the web app would need to be included in the ansible playbook for mythtv.
>>>
>>> Did I miss something?
>> Peter said that you don't use ansible, you
>> now follow the instructions on the wiki.
>> That is a change in recommended practice.
>
> The web app is built by the developer (me) and the generated javascript files are added to git. It does not change the process for building MythTV. It has been this way since 2015 with the original web app (the one on port 6544).
>
> You can continue building the way you always have.

I did confess to being anal, I'm much happier
Thanks
James
Re: New web app for setup and replacement for mythweb [ In reply to ]
On 6/7/23 09:43, James wrote:

>> On 7 Jun 2023, at 6:51 pm, Gary Buhrmaster
>> <gary.buhrmaster@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> On Wed, Jun 7, 2023 at 6:38?AM James Abernathy
>> <jfabernathy@gmail.com> wrote:

>>> Dumb question for the peanut gallery. I know ansible is used when
>>> building from source to install all the mythtv dependencies. It
>>> seems to be up to date for most distros I use.
>>>
>>> It seems that any additional packages needed to compile/build the
>>> addition of the web app would need to be included in the ansible
>>> playbook for mythtv.
>>>
>>> Did I miss something?
>>
>> Peter said that you don't use ansible, you
>> now follow the instructions on the wiki.
>> That is a change in recommended practice.
>
> Peter it is meet and right that a developer, especially one making a
> signifiant contribution, should use whatever tools that they fancy.
> Debian is anal about non-foss. I, and I guess that many folk here, am
> anal about the Borg. So having Visual Studio as a development
> requirement is a great pity: It means I will never build, and
> depending on the run environment may never use the tool.
> James

Since Bill Gates left Microsoft, it has become much friendlier. Linux is
no longer the great Satan. You can download a free copy of Windows that
does not need a product key to install and use it.

The free Visual Studio for Linux is an excellent tool. The Visual Studio
plugins are really professional quality and speed up development greatly

There is no requirement to use it, any editor will do. There are other
editors for Angular. The one from jetbrains is probably a good one. It
is $15 per month per user.

You don't need any of these tools to build or install MythTV or to use
the web app. The generated javascript is already in github, and is
installed when you install MythTV. You will need some tools if you want
to develop the web app.

Peter
Re: New web app for setup and replacement for mythweb [ In reply to ]
On 07/06/2023 14:22, Peter Bennett wrote:

> On 6/7/23 06:17, Gary Buhrmaster wrote:
>> On Wed, May 31, 2023 at 8:20?PM Peter Bennett <pb.mythtv@gmail.com>
>> wrote:
>>
>>> There are instructions for developers that include the precise software
>>> versions we are using, at
>>> https://www.mythtv.org/wiki/WebApp_Development .
>> The project has previously stated that ansible
>> is the proper way to install the development
>> environment.
>>
>> Now that you have stated that you have
>> decided not to support that (i.e. you are
>> choosing to abandon it for manual
>> instructions), I guess I will stop my
>> occasional PR's to update ansible.  I
>> guess you will also be updating the wiki
>> to no longer recommend ansible now
>> that you have decided otherwise.
>>
>> Thanks for the update!
>
> Hi Gary
>
> I am not announcing a new policy for MythTV.
>
> I am not the project leader of MythTV and I don't make policy decisions.
>
> Stuart asked for volunteers to help with the new web app. I
> volunteered a year ago and since then I am the only person to have
> developed it.
>
> I am developing it according to instructions from Stuart and Paul.
> That wiki page was set up by them.
>
> I will ask Stuart and Paul to respond to your comments.
>
> Peter

I should say I'm semi retired when it comes to MythTV development and so
I am no longer following things as closely as I was so some things may
have changed. I've got to say threads like these with all the FUD that
comes with them make it an easy decision to do some DIY and watch my
paint dry rather than contribute to MythTV development ;)

I'm not aware of any policy that says you must use Ansible to build or
install dependencies for Mythtv. I believe the only official way to
build from source is to use ./configure and see what missing
dependencies it complains about. I know a few devs use Ansible to aid
installing the dependencies and have made some resources available for
others to use but that but that is a fairly new thing. I know a few
users like Gary have contributed updates to add or fix support for some
distro's and they are always appreciated. There is no problem there if
you want to use Ansible then that is fine but I don't think it has ever
been a MythTV policy that you _have_ to use it. I would argue Ubuntu
users would be better to use apt-get build-dep since that would install
all the same build dependencies used to build the PPA packages so is
pretty much guaranteed to work but that would be my personal preference.

As for the WebApp as Peter explained we regularly  build the single page
WebApp which gets installed as part of the normal ./configure, make,
make install process so for most users even those who compile from
source there is no need for any extra build dependencies for the WebApp.
The only users who need to install some extra dependencies are those who
want to help develop the WebApp so they can make changes and later
rebuild it to test them out. Most of the dependencies can be installed
using npm install which will make sure everyone is using the same
versions of all the modules.

There seems to be a misunderstanding you have to use Visual Studio to
compile or work on MythTV but that's not true, nothing has changed you
can use what ever editor or IDE you want. VSC is NOT required to build
MythTV or the WebApp.  Stuart and I both used VSC while doing the
initial development of the WebApp and found it a useful free tool to aid
development that's why the wiki page mentions it but you can use
whatever IDE you want.

I think we just wanted to make it as easy as possible for users to try
the new WebApp so that is why we added the pre-built WebApp to the
source and install it as part of the normal install process since
building it can be a little bit of a pain to get the correct version of
nodejs installed for example. Is there a problem with the pre-build
WebApp does it not work for some users or something? Just trying to
understand what all the hostility is all about!

I think you all should be thanking Peter for all the hard work he has
put in to the WebApp not shoot him in the back.

Paul H.

Re: New web app for setup and replacement for mythweb [ In reply to ]
On Wed, Jun 7, 2023 at 1:47?PM Paul Harrison <mythtv@mythqml.net> wrote:

> I think you all should be thanking Peter for all the hard work he has
> put in to the WebApp not shoot him in the back.
>

> Paul H.

Paul,

You are so right. Peter's new Web App is almost complete. I've been having
a lot of fun testing the daily improvements that are coming out. At this
point I have not used the mythtv-setup for a week. It's a perfect match for
Ubuntu systems that are using the PPA for installation. For systems that
you build from source, it also works well with a few existing requirements
related to installing mysql or mariadb, etc.

Thanks a lot Peter,

Jim A
Re: New web app for setup and replacement for mythweb [ In reply to ]
> Wiadomo?? napisana przez Peter Bennett <pb.mythtv@gmail.com> w dniu 07.06.2023, o godz. 16:22:
>

> On 6/7/23 06:17, Gary Buhrmaster wrote:
>> On Wed, May 31, 2023 at 8:20?PM Peter Bennett <pb.mythtv@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>>> There are instructions for developers that include the precise software
>>> versions we are using, at https://www.mythtv.org/wiki/WebApp_Development .
>> The project has previously stated that ansible
>> is the proper way to install the development
>> environment.
>>
>> Now that you have stated that you have
>> decided not to support that (i.e. you are
>> choosing to abandon it for manual
>> instructions), I guess I will stop my
>> occasional PR's to update ansible. I
>> guess you will also be updating the wiki
>> to no longer recommend ansible now
>> that you have decided otherwise.
>>
>> Thanks for the update!
>
> Hi Gary
>
> I am not announcing a new policy for MythTV.
>
> I am not the project leader of MythTV and I don't make policy decisions.
>
> Stuart asked for volunteers to help with the new web app. I volunteered a year ago and since then I am the only person to have developed it.
>
> I am developing it according to instructions from Stuart and Paul. That wiki page was set up by them.
>
> I will ask Stuart and Paul to respond to your comments.
>
> Peter

Huh

This make me really sad…

In all other projects I’m collaborating/contributing I see quite clear rule: given developer received respect is proportional to this developer contribution. I mean real contribution.

Keeping in in mind that word „contribution” may mean various things (one may contribute by commits with spellchecking; other may contribute by writing totally new functionalities…) - imho - Peter's contribution is clearly in second group and I'm personally giving Peter’s work top score.

In this context - a bit sarcastic remarks about non-compliance with automating devel env. setup rules are counterproductive.
It is like saying to somebody who already built whole house: you used non-optimal toolbox to keeping tools used to build house.

May we be more supportive for anybody who makes MythTV project _really better_?

Re: New web app for setup and replacement for mythweb [ In reply to ]
On Fri, Jun 2, 2023 at 12:00?AM James Linder <jam@tigger.ws> wrote:

> > On 2 Jun 2023, at 8:38 am, Peter Bennett <pb.mythtv@gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> >> Hi Peter
> >>
> >> I understand that the big win here is for setup. I've been mainly
> trying it as a mythweb substitute. It does indeed display the same data as
> mythweb in the same order. I may be being superficial but it is much less
> pleasant to use then mythweb without the gui elements and images. Is the
> plan to add that, or stick with text? That doesn't matter for setup which
> is run once or seldom, but I use mythweb every day.
> >>
> >> Ken
> >>
> > Hi Ken
> >
> > There is no specific plan for that. I am trying to put something
> together as quickly as possible.
> >
> > If you tell me precisely what you would like to see added I will do it
> once the basics are complete. I am afraid I am no artist, but if you think
> certain colors and other elements will improve it please let me know, but
> please be specific.
>

> Just being an AH here ….
>
> 1 in 7 males are part colour blind!
> So colours that look good to you or me might be terrible to some folk so
> the whole domain is fraght. It is wothwhile doing some research or building
> theming in so user *can* make it look nice for them. My mate chooses a
> theme that looks horrible!

On the topic of colors - the US has accessibility 508 standards that are
applied across the board in many places in your everyday life. These apply
to websites as well. I think every front-end developer in general (mythtv
or not) should do themselves a favor and get familiar with them.

From the section508.gov website is a pdf on color in graphical design:
https://webcube-general.s3.amazonaws.com/eizo/media/contentassets/2015/10/09/handbook.pdf
the source for that pdf is this page:
https://www.section508.gov/blog/Universal-Design-What-is-it/

The US has an official Web Design System that has a focus on accessibility,
and here is a link to their docs on Using Color:
https://designsystem.digital.gov/design-tokens/color/overview/

At the bottom of that color link is a Further reading section - lots of
great information there as well.

On a related note, the sidebar from above also has a link for Typesetting.

A lot of the UI libraries out there bake in a lot of standards by default
(including colors) so I think it's easier than ever nowadays to make an
accessible site.

If anyone wants to theme the new webapp, Peter is using PrimeNG, and you
can already pick one of many preset themes using the icon in the top right
of the toolbar, and PrimeNG has a visual theme editor on their site if you
are interested in designing your own theme.

Happy coloring everyone!
Steve

1 2  View All