that case I want it to record the earlier one. (I'm not talking about
real time preemptions, just scheduled ones).

How do I do this?

Re: Priority Channel? [ In reply to ]
On Mon, May 08, 2023 at 11:03:01AM -0400, Ken Mandelberg wrote:
> There are two channels that play the same program, one an hour later than
> the other. I want to record the later one. However, occasionally the later
> one will schedule a special event preempting the program. In that case I
> want it to record the earlier one. (I'm not talking about real time
> preemptions, just scheduled ones).
>
> How do I do this?

You've got at least a couple of options. Is the program shown at only
those times? If not, you can use a power search, recording rule and
choose the last showing. Another way is to create a power, priority
rule for the program and one of the channels. Either raise the
priority of the channel with the earlier showing or lower the priority
of the channel with the later showihg.

David
--
David Engel
david@istwok.net
Re: Priority Channel? [ In reply to ]
Just record both, and throw away the excess.

Creating a rule for the occasional is impossible if the scheduler doesn’t have the information that one of the channels has changed the schedule.

Re: Priority Channel? [ In reply to ]
On Mon, 8 May 2023 11:03:01 -0400, you wrote:

>There are two channels that play the same program, one an hour later
>than the other. I want to record the later one. However, occasionally
>the later one will schedule a special event preempting the program. In
>that case I want it to record the earlier one. (I'm not talking about
>real time preemptions, just scheduled ones).
>
>How do I do this?

If the scheduled preemptions are listed in the EPG data, then all you
need to do is to give the preferred channel a higher channel priority,
sufficient that the scheduler will prefer that channel whenever a
programme is listed on it.

mythtv-setup > 6. Channel Editor > select a channel > Enter > Channel
Options - Common > Priority

Depending on your chosen theme, "Priority" is likely to be off the
bottom of the screen and you will have to scroll down to find it.

Then when you create your recording rules, you need to make sure that
you do not set the "This Channel" option so the scheduler can choose
the channel it records from. This can cause problems if the same
programme appears on other channels than the two you want to record
from.
Re: Priority Channel? [ In reply to ]
On 08/05/2023 16:03, Ken Mandelberg wrote:
> There are two channels that play the same program, one an hour later than the other. I want to
> record the later one. However, occasionally the later one will schedule a special event preempting
> the program. In that case I want it to record the earlier one. (I'm not talking about real time
> preemptions, just scheduled ones).
>
> How do I do this?

If your second channel is what is known in the UK and Europe as a "+1" channel, I should advise you
that the +1 showings are usually at a lower bit rate, often much lower. In other words, you get to
see the same program but the definition might not be so good. Plan according to your tastes.

--

Mike Perkins