Mailing List Archive

Updated MythTV - now my schedules no longer update. XMLTV woes
Well, I suppose I celebrated too early in updating MythTV. After my
SchedulesDirect data expired, I now realize that I have no program guide
since I did the update.

Apparently "DataDirect" is no longer a things that's supported, and I
now need to use XMLTV. The problem is, I can't seem to find any
guidance that I can understand.

According to https://www.mythtv.org/wiki/XMLTV , I should be able to
just run mythtv-setup and tell MythTV to use XMLTV, and everything
should be fine. When exiting mythtv-setup, and I'm prompted to run
mythfilldatabase, I see a brief terminal window that shows the usage for
how to run mythfilldatabase. After a bit of hassle, I finally realized
that I had a "--remove-new-channels" option set in my
MythFillDatabaseArgs in the settings table. After removing this, the
error went away.

However, there's still nothing in my schedules. There is no
configuration file in $HOME/.xmltv.

So I figure I'd try the command line setup as outlined at
https://www.mythtv.org/wiki/XMLTV

I ran:
/usr/bin/tv_grab_zz_sdjson --configure --config-file
$HOME/.mythtv/FiOS.xmltv

only to be asked to select what sort of cable lineup I have in my
zipcode. Which is somewhat surprising to me, given that I've already
configured exactly how my channel lineup is in SchedulesDirect directly.

Elsewhere in this list I saw the advice to run --manage-lineups instead
of --configure. I tried this, and it seems that I could add a generic
FiOS lineup, but not the one that I had already configured in
SchedulesDirect that matches what I actually subscribe to.

When I try to edit the channel lineup, I get:
> Select one: [0,1,2,3,4,5 (default=0)] 5
>
> Database has not been initialized (or cannot be opened)

Nothing I've tried has resulted in any .xmltv file being written. I do
have a SchedulesDirect.DB in my ~/.xmltv directory.

All of this has been quite frustrating. Does anybody have any guidance
on how a normal human being can update from an old (DataDirect
SchedulesDirect) configuration to a new one that uses XMLTV?

Thanks
-WD

Re: Updated MythTV - now my schedules no longer update. XMLTV woes [ In reply to ]
On 5/6/23 22:25, Will Dormann wrote:
> Well, I suppose I celebrated too early in updating MythTV.  After my SchedulesDirect data expired, I now realize that I have
> no program guide since I did the update.
>
> Apparently "DataDirect" is no longer a things that's supported, and I now need to use XMLTV.  The problem is, I can't seem to
> find any guidance that I can understand.
>
> According to https://www.mythtv.org/wiki/XMLTV , I should be able to just run mythtv-setup and tell MythTV to use XMLTV, and
> everything should be fine.   When exiting mythtv-setup, and I'm prompted to run mythfilldatabase, I see a brief terminal
> window that shows the usage for how to run mythfilldatabase.  After a bit of hassle, I finally realized that I had a
> "--remove-new-channels" option set in my MythFillDatabaseArgs in the settings table. After removing this, the error went away.
>
> However, there's still nothing in my schedules.  There is no configuration file in $HOME/.xmltv.
>
> So I figure I'd try the command line setup as outlined at https://www.mythtv.org/wiki/XMLTV
>
> I ran:
> /usr/bin/tv_grab_zz_sdjson --configure --config-file $HOME/.mythtv/FiOS.xmltv
>
> only to be asked to select what sort of cable lineup I have in my zipcode.   Which is somewhat surprising to me, given that
> I've already configured exactly how my channel lineup is in SchedulesDirect directly.
>
> Elsewhere in this list I saw the advice to run --manage-lineups instead of --configure.  I tried this, and it seems that I
> could add a generic FiOS lineup, but not the one that I had already configured in SchedulesDirect that matches what I actually
> subscribe to.
>
> When I try to edit the channel lineup, I get:
>> Select one: [0,1,2,3,4,5 (default=0)] 5
>>
>> Database has not been initialized (or cannot be opened)
>
> Nothing I've tried has resulted in any .xmltv file being written. I do have a SchedulesDirect.DB in my ~/.xmltv directory.
>
> All of this has been quite frustrating.  Does anybody have any guidance on how a normal human being can update from an old
> (DataDirect SchedulesDirect) configuration to a new one that uses XMLTV?
>

> Thanks
> -WD

One thing that I did not get from the wiki is that you MUST run tv_grab_zz_sdjson as user mythtv with user mythtv's environment.

Running this from within mythbackendsetup does not work since it will save the config files in your local environment.

I found that I was able to do this by running:

sudo runuser -l mythtv

which switches you to a shell as user mythtv in the mythtv environment, then running:

tv_grab_zz_sdjson --configure --config-file $HOME/.mythtv/North.xmltv

exit

where you replace the word "North" with whatever name you called your "video source" when you set it up.

Look in /var/log/mythtv/mythfilldatabase.log for clues about whatever else is going on.

everything else in https://www.mythtv.org/wiki/XMLTV made enough sense to me for me to get it working.
Re: Updated MythTV - now my schedules no longer update. XMLTV woes [ In reply to ]
On Sun, May 7, 2023 at 1:48?AM Douglas Peale <Douglas_Peale@comcast.net>
wrote:

> [...]
> > (DataDirect SchedulesDirect) configuration to a new one that uses XMLTV?
> >

> > Thanks
> > -WD

> One thing that I did not get from the wiki is that you MUST run
> tv_grab_zz_sdjson as user mythtv with user mythtv's environment.
>
> Running this from within mythbackendsetup does not work since it will save
> the config files in your local environment.
>
> I found that I was able to do this by running:
>
> sudo runuser -l mythtv
>
> which switches you to a shell as user mythtv in the mythtv environment,
> then running:
>
> tv_grab_zz_sdjson --configure --config-file $HOME/.mythtv/North.xmltv
>
> exit
>
> where you replace the word "North" with whatever name you called your
> "video source" when you set it up.
>
> Look in /var/log/mythtv/mythfilldatabase.log for clues about whatever else

I have XMLTV on ubuntu/debian based systems working. What I do is basically
follow the wiki exactly which means that I don't rename anything. So when
I get back to mythtv-setup I delete all video sources and create a new one
called "SD". I select the Multinational json sqlite grabber and then scan.

The Wiki says do this as user 'mythtv' and it means it since the
backend.service runs a user mythtv.

Just make sure you add your lineup by zip code if your country uses that.
The questions asked require mostly defaults if you use SD as the video
source name.

tv_grab_zz_sdjson_sqlite --manage-lineups --config-file $HOME/.mythtv/SD.xmltv

tv_grab_zz_sdjson_sqlite --configure --config-file $HOME/.mythtv/SD.xmltv

tv_grab_zz_sdjson_sqlite --days 0 --config-file $HOME/.mythtv/SD.xmltv
tv_grab_zz_sdjson_sqlite --manage-lineups --config-file $HOME/.mythtv/SD.xmltv
Re: Updated MythTV - now my schedules no longer update. XMLTV woes [ In reply to ]
On 5/7/23 1:46 AM, Douglas Peale wrote:

> One thing that I did not get from the wiki is that you MUST run
> tv_grab_zz_sdjson as user mythtv with user mythtv's environment.
>
> Running this from within mythbackendsetup does not work since it will
> save the config files in your local environment.
>
> I found that I was able to do this by running:
>
> sudo runuser -l mythtv

Thanks for this tip! Yeah, that's not something that I picked up from
the wiki. But after running tv_grab_zz_sdjson as the user "mythtv", the
experience was much more intuitive. And the schedules are rolling in as
I type this!

My first false start was that I had the wrong case sensitivity for the
video source name, but I got that figured out pretty quickly.

Thanks again!
-WD

Re: Updated MythTV - now my schedules no longer update. XMLTV woes [ In reply to ]
>One thing that I did not get from the wiki is that you MUST run tv_grab_zz_sdjson as user mythtv with
>user mythtv's environment.
>
>Running this from within mythbackendsetup does not work since it will save the config files in your local
>environment.

A note for Mythbuntu Control Panel users:

MCP has an option to "run MythTV Backend Setup as mythtv user," and this can be used to configure the grabber using MythTV Backend Setup (mythtv-setup).  The configuration files will be stored in the correct location.

https://www.mythtv.org/wiki/Mythbuntu_Control_Panel#Performing_System_Setup_Tasks