XMLTV on Opensuse Tumbleweed
I just installed mythtv on opensuse tumbleweed and had to build from
source. Got it all working except I can't get XMLTV working. I found an
old version on Packman repo, but it does not contain
tv_grab_zz_sdjson_sqlite. Building XMLTV from the github repo didn't work.
I'm assuming I'm missing a lot of the Perl stuff.

Anyone have a shortcut to getting this work?

Jim A
Re: XMLTV on Opensuse Tumbleweed [ In reply to ]
On Saturday 06 May 2023 05:02:34 PM (-05:00), James Abernathy wrote:

I just installed mythtv on opensuse tumbleweed and had to build from
source. Got it all working except I can't get XMLTV working. I found an
old version on Packman repo, but it does not contain
tv_grab_zz_sdjson_sqlite. Building XMLTV from the github repo didn't work.
I'm assuming I'm missing a lot of the Perl stuff.

Anyone have a shortcut to getting this work?

Jim A

I've always used the SQLite version from the link immediately under this:

https://www.mythtv.org/wiki/XMLTV#Setup_with_tv_grab_zz_sdjson_sqlite

--
Bill
Re: XMLTV on Opensuse Tumbleweed [ In reply to ]
On Sat, May 6, 2023, 6:09 PM Bill Meek <keemllib@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Saturday 06 May 2023 05:02:34 PM (-05:00), James Abernathy wrote:
>
> I just installed mythtv on opensuse tumbleweed and had to build from
> source. Got it all working except I can't get XMLTV working. I found an
> old version on Packman repo, but it does not contain
> tv_grab_zz_sdjson_sqlite. Building XMLTV from the github repo didn't work.
> I'm assuming I'm missing a lot of the Perl stuff.
>
> Anyone have a shortcut to getting this work?
>
> Jim A
>

> I've always used the SQLite version from the link immediately under this:
>
> https://www.mythtv.org/wiki/XMLTV#Setup_with_tv_grab_zz_sdjson_sqlite
>
> --
> Bill

Well that's the version I did last. Basically building from github.com.
Does tv_grab_zz_sdjson_sqlite --version work for you? I stopped when that
failed. Maybe the manage-listings will work?

Jim A
Re: XMLTV on Opensuse Tumbleweed [ In reply to ]
> On 7 May 2023, at 6:09 am, Bill Meek <keemllib@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> On Saturday 06 May 2023 05:02:34 PM (-05:00), James Abernathy wrote:
>
> I just installed mythtv on opensuse tumbleweed and had to build from source. Got it all working except I can't get XMLTV working. I found an old version on Packman repo, but it does not contain tv_grab_zz_sdjson_sqlite. Building XMLTV from the github repo didn't work. I'm assuming I'm missing a lot of the Perl stuff.
>
> Anyone have a shortcut to getting this work?
>
> Jim A
>

> I've always used the SQLite version from the link immediately under this:
>
> https://www.mythtv.org/wiki/XMLTV#Setup_with_tv_grab_zz_sdjson_sqlite <https://www.mythtv.org/wiki/XMLTV#Setup_with_tv_grab_zz_sdjson_sqlite>
A recent update of tumbleweed (zypper dup) stopped mythweb working for me. Does anyone have it working ?

James
Re: XMLTV on Opensuse Tumbleweed [ In reply to ]
On Saturday 06 May 2023 05:44:46 PM (-05:00), James Abernathy wrote:

> On Sat, May 6, 2023, 6:09 PM Bill Meek wrote:
>
> > On Saturday 06 May 2023 05:02:34 PM (-05:00), James Abernathy wrote:
> >
> > I just installed mythtv on opensuse tumbleweed and had to build from
> > source. Got it all working except I can't get XMLTV working. I found
an
> > old version on Packman repo, but it does not contain
> > tv_grab_zz_sdjson_sqlite. Building XMLTV from the github repo didn't
work.
> > I'm assuming I'm missing a lot of the Perl stuff.
> >
> > Anyone have a shortcut to getting this work?
> >
> > Jim A
> >

> > I've always used the SQLite version from the link immediately under
this:

https://www.mythtv.org/wiki/XMLTV#Setup_with_tv_grab_zz_sdjson_sqlite

> > --
> > Bill
> >

> Well that's the version I did last. Basically building from github.com.
> Does tv_grab_zz_sdjson_sqlite --version work for you? I stopped when
that
> failed. Maybe the manage-listings will work?
>
> Jim A

It does:

$ tv_grab_zz_sdjson_sqlite --version
XMLTV module version 1.1.1
This is tv_grab_zz_sdjson_sqlite version 1.110

--
Bill
Re: XMLTV on Opensuse Tumbleweed [ In reply to ]
On Sat, May 6, 2023, 7:11 PM Bill Meek <keemllib@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Saturday 06 May 2023 05:44:46 PM (-05:00), James Abernathy wrote:
>
> > On Sat, May 6, 2023, 6:09 PM Bill Meek wrote:
> >
> > > On Saturday 06 May 2023 05:02:34 PM (-05:00), James Abernathy wrote:
> > >
> > > I just installed mythtv on opensuse tumbleweed and had to build from
> > > source. Got it all working except I can't get XMLTV working. I found
> an
> > > old version on Packman repo, but it does not contain
> > > tv_grab_zz_sdjson_sqlite. Building XMLTV from the github repo didn't
> work.
> > > I'm assuming I'm missing a lot of the Perl stuff.
> > >
> > > Anyone have a shortcut to getting this work?
> > >
> > > Jim A
> > >

> > > I've always used the SQLite version from the link immediately under
> this:
> > >

> https://www.mythtv.org/wiki/XMLTV#Setup_with_tv_grab_zz_sdjson_sqlite
> > >
> > > --
> > > Bill
> > >

> > Well that's the version I did last. Basically building from github.com
> .
> > Does tv_grab_zz_sdjson_sqlite --version work for you? I stopped when
> that
> > failed. Maybe the manage-listings will work?
> >
> > Jim A
>

> It does:
>

> $ tv_grab_zz_sdjson_sqlite --version
> XMLTV module version 1.1.1
> This is tv_grab_zz_sdjson_sqlite version 1.110
>
> --
> Bill

Looks like I have to rollback a few snapshots and try again

Jim A

Re: XMLTV on Opensuse Tumbleweed [ In reply to ]
> On 7 May 2023, at 7:22 am, James Abernathy <jfabernathy@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> Looks like I have to rollback a few snapshots and try again

The work I do involves ‘on board a dive ship’ where power is ‘*very*’ flakey (even reset through charger into LiPo battery) so I use ext4 (better than btfs) so I used ext4 on my home system and I can’t roll back.
I guess I just want one of you folk to say’mythweb works for me’
James
Re: XMLTV on Opensuse Tumbleweed [ In reply to ]
On Sat, May 6, 2023 at 10:04?PM James Abernathy <jfabernathy@gmail.com> wrote:

> I just installed mythtv on opensuse tumbleweed and had to build from source. Got it all working except I can't get XMLTV working. I found an old version on Packman repo, but it does not contain tv_grab_zz_sdjson_sqlite. Building XMLTV from the github repo didn't work. I'm assuming I'm missing a lot of the Perl stuff.

Typically, if you build from the XMLTV github repo (starting
with running `perl Makefile.PL`) it should tell you what perl
libraries you are missing.

And, ultimately, to help yourself and others, you may
wish to pick up the XMLTV package in the user
contributed packman repos (as I recall, the current
XMLTV version is 1.2.1, while the latest packman
version is 0.<something>, so rather much older).
Typically such work is not especially onerous once
you have the spec file working as the XMLTV project
does not often add new dependencies. You may
even be able to start with the spec files from other
RPM based distros, such as the one on RPMFusion.
Re: XMLTV on Opensuse Tumbleweed [ In reply to ]
On Sat, May 6, 2023 at 10:27?PM Gary Buhrmaster <gary.buhrmaster@gmail.com>
wrote:

> On Sat, May 6, 2023 at 10:04?PM James Abernathy <jfabernathy@gmail.com>
> wrote:
>
> > I just installed mythtv on opensuse tumbleweed and had to build from
> source. Got it all working except I can't get XMLTV working. I found an
> old version on Packman repo, but it does not contain
> tv_grab_zz_sdjson_sqlite. Building XMLTV from the github repo didn't work.
> I'm assuming I'm missing a lot of the Perl stuff.
>
> Typically, if you build from the XMLTV github repo (starting
> with running `perl Makefile.PL`) it should tell you what perl
> libraries you are missing.
>
> And, ultimately, to help yourself and others, you may
> wish to pick up the XMLTV package in the user
> contributed packman repos (as I recall, the current
> XMLTV version is 1.2.1, while the latest packman
> version is 0.<something>, so rather much older).
> Typically such work is not especially onerous once
> you have the spec file working as the XMLTV project
> does not often add new dependencies. You may
> even be able to start with the spec files from other
> RPM based distros, such as the one on RPMFusion.

I think my problems start with not knowing anything about Perl and
installing missing libraries. This is complicated by not knowing Opensuse
Tumbleweed's repo priorities of one Packman vs. another.

Sounds like for bleeding edge stuff I should stick to Arch which has its
own AUR for xmltv and mythtv.git. The archlinux wiki fills in the blanks.
I was just experimenting with Opensuse Tumbleweed to see if I liked its
handling of btrfs better than other distros. I think it's time for this old
dog to head back to safer waters.

Thanks,

Jim A