Can I assume from this that most Fedora users build from source or stay on
older versions of Fedora and Mythtv??

Jim A
Re: mythtv on Fedora 38 [ In reply to ]
On 01/05/2023 14:58, James Abernathy wrote:
> I'm experimenting with Fedora 38 on a NUC 1165G7 Gen 11 core i7 and
> wanted to install mythtv.  I first tried the rpmfusion method, but got
> fatal errors immediately. I also noted that the version was from way
> back in February.
>
> I then tried building from source. That seems to work. Ansible playbook
> worked for all the dependencies.  The configure and build seem to work.
>
> Can I assume from this that most Fedora users build from source or stay
> on older versions of Fedora and Mythtv??
>
> Jim A

I can't speak for others, but for several years I have been running the
last-but-one version of Fedora and building rpms for MythTV master using
Gary Buhrmaster's GitHub script. I prefer to let the Fedora team sort
out its early OS update bugs first, so that any bugs I do catch are most
likely to be in a recent Myth commit, and can usually get fixed quickly.

The documented procedures for MythTV DB setup and management in Fedora
may well be out of date, and the rpms from Gary's script are not quite
the same as those from rpmfusion. What I do works, most of the time,
for me. I updated to F37 one or two weeks ago.

John P

Re: mythtv on Fedora 38 [ In reply to ]
On Mon, May 1, 2023 at 10:48?AM John Pilkington <johnpilk222@gmail.com>
wrote:

> On 01/05/2023 14:58, James Abernathy wrote:
> > I'm experimenting with Fedora 38 on a NUC 1165G7 Gen 11 core i7 and
> > wanted to install mythtv. I first tried the rpmfusion method, but got
> > fatal errors immediately. I also noted that the version was from way
> > back in February.
> >
> > I then tried building from source. That seems to work. Ansible playbook
> > worked for all the dependencies. The configure and build seem to work.
> >
> > Can I assume from this that most Fedora users build from source or stay
> > on older versions of Fedora and Mythtv??
> >
> > Jim A
>
> I can't speak for others, but for several years I have been running the
> last-but-one version of Fedora and building rpms for MythTV master using
> Gary Buhrmaster's GitHub script. I prefer to let the Fedora team sort
> out its early OS update bugs first, so that any bugs I do catch are most
> likely to be in a recent Myth commit, and can usually get fixed quickly.
>
> The documented procedures for MythTV DB setup and management in Fedora
> may well be out of date, and the rpms from Gary's script are not quite
> the same as those from rpmfusion. What I do works, most of the time,
> for me. I updated to F37 one or two weeks ago.
>
> John P
>
> Thanks,

Could you point me to Gary's GitHub script? I can't find it on his github
page.

Jim A
Re: mythtv on Fedora 38 [ In reply to ]
On 01/05/2023 16:48, James Abernathy wrote:

> On Mon, May 1, 2023 at 10:48?AM John Pilkington <johnpilk222@gmail.com
> <mailto:johnpilk222@gmail.com>> wrote:
>
> On 01/05/2023 14:58, James Abernathy wrote:
> > I'm experimenting with Fedora 38 on a NUC 1165G7 Gen 11 core i7 and
> > wanted to install mythtv.  I first tried the rpmfusion method,
> but got
> > fatal errors immediately. I also noted that the version was from way
> > back in February.
> >
> > I then tried building from source. That seems to work. Ansible
> playbook
> > worked for all the dependencies.  The configure and build seem to
> work.
> >
> > Can I assume from this that most Fedora users build from source
> or stay
> > on older versions of Fedora and Mythtv??
> >
> > Jim A
>
> I can't speak for others, but for several years I have been running the
> last-but-one version of Fedora and building rpms for MythTV master
> using
> Gary Buhrmaster's GitHub script.  I prefer to let the Fedora team sort
> out its early OS update bugs first, so that any bugs I do catch are
> most
> likely to be in a recent Myth commit, and can usually get fixed quickly.
>
> The documented procedures for MythTV DB setup and management in Fedora
> may well be out of date, and the rpms from Gary's script are not quite
> the same as those from rpmfusion.  What I do works, most of the time,
> for me.  I updated to F37 one or two weeks ago.
>
> John P
>
> Thanks,
>

> Could you point me to Gary's GitHub script?  I can't find it on his
> github page.
>
> Jim A

The build script is here. As usual the README isn't fully up to date,
but it built an F37 set of RPMs for me, in F36, a week or so ago.

https://github.com/garybuhrmaster/packaging/blob/main/MythTV/rpm/BUILD_MYTHTV_RPMS

The only change I have made is to build from a local 'permanent' copy of
the MythTV Git repo, updated by 'git pull', rather than downloading the
full repo every time. That has let me occasionally apply git patches
locally, too. Otherwise it ignored my attempts to patch and rebuilt,
unpatched, from GitHub.

Re: mythtv on Fedora 38 [ In reply to ]
On Mon, May 1, 2023 at 4:25?PM John Pilkington <johnpilk222@gmail.com> wrote:

> The only change I have made is to build from a local 'permanent' copy of
> the MythTV Git repo, updated by 'git pull', rather than downloading the
> full repo every time.

Your use case may be different, but the script allows
one to specify the repo (the --repo option) to specify
a local git repository, and, of course, you can specify
your local branch with your patches for the source.

The resulting rpm versions may get complicated if
you build across multiple different mock roots,
different repos, and branches all at the same time
(which I occasionally do for bulk testing), but as
long as you don't try to mix and match with installs
it should mostly work.
Re: mythtv on Fedora 38 [ In reply to ]
On Mon, May 1, 2023 at 12:55?PM Gary Buhrmaster <gary.buhrmaster@gmail.com>
wrote:

> On Mon, May 1, 2023 at 4:25?PM John Pilkington <johnpilk222@gmail.com>
> wrote:
>
> > The only change I have made is to build from a local 'permanent' copy of
> > the MythTV Git repo, updated by 'git pull', rather than downloading the
> > full repo every time.
>
> Your use case may be different, but the script allows
> one to specify the repo (the --repo option) to specify
> a local git repository, and, of course, you can specify
> your local branch with your patches for the source.
>
> The resulting rpm versions may get complicated if
> you build across multiple different mock roots,
> different repos, and branches all at the same time
> (which I occasionally do for bulk testing), but as
> long as you don't try to mix and match with installs
> it should mostly work.

Thanks, all,

It seems that except for Ubuntu, all other Distro's way of packaging up
mythtv still require manually setting up mythconverg, etc.

So for me it just seems easier to build from source instead. I've gotten
comfortable with that and it takes less than 15 minutes to do. I have a
script to do all the other stuff depending on Distro, I have one for
Raspbian, Debian, Ubuntu if done from source, Archlinux, and now I'm
working on one for Fedora. Since I'm retired it keeps me off the streets
and out of the bars :-}

Jim A
Re: mythtv on Fedora 38 [ In reply to ]
> On 2 May 2023, at 1:24 am, James Abernathy <jfabernathy@gmail.com> wrote:
>

> On Mon, May 1, 2023 at 12:55?PM Gary Buhrmaster <gary.buhrmaster@gmail.com <mailto:gary.buhrmaster@gmail.com>> wrote:
> On Mon, May 1, 2023 at 4:25?PM John Pilkington <johnpilk222@gmail.com <mailto:johnpilk222@gmail.com>> wrote:
>
> > The only change I have made is to build from a local 'permanent' copy of
> > the MythTV Git repo, updated by 'git pull', rather than downloading the
> > full repo every time.
>
> Your use case may be different, but the script allows
> one to specify the repo (the --repo option) to specify
> a local git repository, and, of course, you can specify
> your local branch with your patches for the source.
>
> The resulting rpm versions may get complicated if
> you build across multiple different mock roots,
> different repos, and branches all at the same time
> (which I occasionally do for bulk testing), but as
> long as you don't try to mix and match with installs
> it should mostly work.
>

> Thanks, all,
>
> It seems that except for Ubuntu, all other Distro's way of packaging up mythtv still require manually setting up mythconverg, etc.
>
> So for me it just seems easier to build from source instead. I've gotten comfortable with that and it takes less than 15 minutes to do. I have a script to do all the other stuff depending on Distro, I have one for Raspbian, Debian, Ubuntu if done from source, Archlinux, and now I'm working on one for Fedora. Since I'm retired it keeps me off the streets and out of the bars :-}
>
> Jim A

Jim
I run openSuse tumbleweed and build from src as per the wiki.
It may be 'for fun' but I see no need to build rpm. I'm not going to distribute and a simple make install does all. git pull keeps you upto date and if you break somefing (sic) then it's easy to revert, and easy to try master, then (say) checkout fixes/33

Thor (the god of thunder) took out my i7, but an asus with an 8 core ryzen is working flawlessly.
James