Mailing List Archive

Android mythfrontend for V33
I upgraded the backend to v33 and everything seems to be working. However,
I'm using 33-Pre-924-g6f87ffba14 Android mythfrontend. It seems to be
working fine with v33 except I can't download and use certain Themes.

When I try to select Functionality 31.2, I get ERROR: Downloading theme
package from master backend.

Jim A
Re: Android mythfrontend for V33 [ In reply to ]
On Mon, 2023-02-06 at 10:34 -0600, James Abernathy wrote:
> I upgraded the backend to v33 and everything seems to be working.
> However, I'm using  33-Pre-924-g6f87ffba14 Android mythfrontend.  It
> seems to be working fine with v33 except I can't download and use
> certain Themes.
>
> When I try to select Functionality 31.2, I get ERROR: Downloading
> theme package from master backend.

Hi Jim,

I just tested v33 and didn't have a problem downloading this theme. It
did take a lot longer than downloading the LCARS theme, but about the
same time as downloading the Arclight theme. Not sure that means
anything.

Try manually downloading the themes description package:

http://themes.mythtv.org/themes/repository/33/themes.zip

And then the Functionality theme itself:

http://ftp.osuosl.org/pub/mythtv/themes/33/Functionality-31.2_33.zip

Let me know if these work. They did for me.

David

Re: Android mythfrontend for V33 [ In reply to ]
On Mon, Feb 6, 2023 at 11:01 AM David Hampton via mythtv-users <
mythtv-users@mythtv.org> wrote:

> On Mon, 2023-02-06 at 10:34 -0600, James Abernathy wrote:
> > I upgraded the backend to v33 and everything seems to be working.
> > However, I'm using 33-Pre-924-g6f87ffba14 Android mythfrontend. It
> > seems to be working fine with v33 except I can't download and use
> > certain Themes.
> >
> > When I try to select Functionality 31.2, I get ERROR: Downloading
> > theme package from master backend.
>
> Hi Jim,
>
> I just tested v33 and didn't have a problem downloading this theme. It
> did take a lot longer than downloading the LCARS theme, but about the
> same time as downloading the Arclight theme. Not sure that means
> anything.
>
> Try manually downloading the themes description package:
>
> http://themes.mythtv.org/themes/repository/33/themes.zip
>
> And then the Functionality theme itself:
>
> http://ftp.osuosl.org/pub/mythtv/themes/33/Functionality-31.2_33.zip
>
> Let me know if these work. They did for me.
>
> David

Could it be the Pre-33 version of mythfrontend? I checked this morning and
that is the latest.

Jim
Re: Android mythfrontend for V33 [ In reply to ]
On Mon, Feb 6, 2023 at 11:49 AM James Abernathy <jfabernathy@gmail.com>
wrote:

> On Mon, Feb 6, 2023 at 11:01 AM David Hampton via mythtv-users <
> mythtv-users@mythtv.org> wrote:
>
>> On Mon, 2023-02-06 at 10:34 -0600, James Abernathy wrote:
>> > I upgraded the backend to v33 and everything seems to be working.
>> > However, I'm using 33-Pre-924-g6f87ffba14 Android mythfrontend. It
>> > seems to be working fine with v33 except I can't download and use
>> > certain Themes.
>> >
>> > When I try to select Functionality 31.2, I get ERROR: Downloading
>> > theme package from master backend.
>>
>> Hi Jim,
>>
>> I just tested v33 and didn't have a problem downloading this theme. It
>> did take a lot longer than downloading the LCARS theme, but about the
>> same time as downloading the Arclight theme. Not sure that means
>> anything.
>>
>> Try manually downloading the themes description package:
>>
>> http://themes.mythtv.org/themes/repository/33/themes.zip
>>
>> And then the Functionality theme itself:
>>
>> http://ftp.osuosl.org/pub/mythtv/themes/33/Functionality-31.2_33.zip
>>
>> Let me know if these work. They did for me.
>>
>> David
>>

> Could it be the Pre-33 version of mythfrontend? I checked this morning
> and that is the latest.
>
> Jim

I downloaded the Functionality theme but since it's on a FireTV Android
device, I have no idea what to do with the zip file?

The whole reason to have the Functionality theme is to view the Schedule
page and pick things to record. It has the 4 hour 14 line format.

I tried downloading the themes you mentioned and all failed with the error
mentioned above. It must be the pre-version of mythfrontend-android.

Jim A
Re: Android mythfrontend for V33 [ In reply to ]
On Mon, Feb 6, 2023 at 12:22 PM James Abernathy <jfabernathy@gmail.com>
wrote:

> On Mon, Feb 6, 2023 at 11:49 AM James Abernathy <jfabernathy@gmail.com>
> wrote:
>

>> On Mon, Feb 6, 2023 at 11:01 AM David Hampton via mythtv-users <
>> mythtv-users@mythtv.org> wrote:

>>> Hi Jim,
>>>
>>> I just tested v33 and didn't have a problem downloading this theme. It
>>> did take a lot longer than downloading the LCARS theme, but about the
>>> same time as downloading the Arclight theme. Not sure that means
>>> anything.
>>>
>>> Try manually downloading the themes description package:
>>>
>>> http://themes.mythtv.org/themes/repository/33/themes.zip
>>>
>>> And then the Functionality theme itself:
>>>
>>> http://ftp.osuosl.org/pub/mythtv/themes/33/Functionality-31.2_33.zip
>>>
>>> Let me know if these work. They did for me.
>>>
>>> David
>>>

>> Could it be the Pre-33 version of mythfrontend? I checked this morning
>> and that is the latest.
>>
>> Jim
>>

> I downloaded the Functionality theme but since it's on a FireTV Android
> device, I have no idea what to do with the zip file?
>
> The whole reason to have the Functionality theme is to view the Schedule
> page and pick things to record. It has the 4 hour 14 line format.
>
> I tried downloading the themes you mentioned and all failed with the error
> mentioned above. It must be the pre-version of mythfrontend-android.
>
> Jim A

I just downloaded and installed the Android mythfrontend
fies/33(v33.1), mythfrontend-20230206-arm-v33.1.apk on my FireTV 4K stick.
It also has issues with changing the themes.

I tried to download and change to every theme listed and they all return an
error (ERROR: Downloading theme package from master backend.)

Not sure of a workaround since this is android.

Jim A
Re: Android mythfrontend for V33 [ In reply to ]
On 2/8/23 11:09, James Abernathy wrote:

> On Mon, Feb 6, 2023 at 12:22 PM James Abernathy
> <jfabernathy@gmail.com> wrote:
>

> On Mon, Feb 6, 2023 at 11:49 AM James Abernathy
> <jfabernathy@gmail.com> wrote:
>

> On Mon, Feb 6, 2023 at 11:01 AM David Hampton via mythtv-users
> <mythtv-users@mythtv.org> wrote:
>
> On Mon, 2023-02-06 at 10:34 -0600, James Abernathy wrote:
> > I upgraded the backend to v33 and everything seems to be
> working.
> > However, I'm using  33-Pre-924-g6f87ffba14 Android
> mythfrontend.  It
> > seems to be working fine with v33 except I can't
> download and use
> > certain Themes.
> >
> > When I try to select Functionality 31.2, I get ERROR:
> Downloading
> > theme package from master backend.
>
> Hi Jim,
>
> I just tested v33 and didn't have a problem downloading
> this theme. It
> did take a lot longer than downloading the LCARS theme,
> but about the
> same time as downloading the Arclight theme. Not sure that
> means
> anything.
>
> Try manually downloading the themes description package:
>
> http://themes.mythtv.org/themes/repository/33/themes.zip
>
> And then the Functionality theme itself:
>
> http://ftp.osuosl.org/pub/mythtv/themes/33/Functionality-31.2_33.zip
>
> Let me know if these work.  They did for me.
>
> David
>

> Could it be the Pre-33 version of mythfrontend?  I checked
> this morning and that is the latest.
>
> Jim
>

> I downloaded the Functionality theme but since it's on a FireTV
> Android device, I have no idea what to do with the zip file?
>
> The whole reason to have the Functionality theme is to view the
> Schedule page and pick things to record. It has the 4 hour 14 line
> format.
>
> I tried downloading the themes you mentioned and all failed with
> the error mentioned above. It must be the pre-version of
> mythfrontend-android.
>
> Jim A
>

> I just downloaded and installed the Android mythfrontend
> fies/33(v33.1), mythfrontend-20230206-arm-v33.1.apk on my FireTV 4K
> stick. It also has issues with changing the themes.
>
> I tried to download and change to every theme listed and they all
> return an error (ERROR: Downloading theme package from master backend.)
>
> Not sure of a workaround since this is android.
>
> Jim A

Workaround:

Theme download with adb
Open in browser: http://themes.mythtv.org/themes/repository/33/themes.zip
unzip themes.zip
There is a directory under 33 for each theme containing a themeinfo.xml file
for example 33/Steppes/themeinfo.xml
look in the themeinfo.xml for the theme you want
Find a line like this in the file
<downloadurl>http://ftp.osuosl.org/pub/mythtv/themes/33/Steppes-2.54_33.zip</downloadurl>
Run that url in a browser to download the theme zip from that url.
http://ftp.osuosl.org/pub/mythtv/themes/33/Steppes-2.54_33.zip
Convert the zip file to a tar:
unzip Steppes-2.54_33.zip
tar cvf Steppes-2.54_33.tar Steppes
Upload the tar to the android tv device:
adb connect f-dev.lan
adb push Steppes-2.54_33.tar /data/local/tmp/
Copy it to mythfrontend:
adb shell
run-as org.mythtv.mythfrontend
cd files/themes
tar xvf /data/local/tmp/Steppes-2.54_33.tar
Ignore the many error messages messages "tar: chown 1000:1099
'Steppes/Images/Recording/recording.26.png': Operation not permitted"
Go into mythfrontend and select the theme
Disconnect adb:
adb disconnect

Peter
Re: Android mythfrontend for V33 [ In reply to ]
On Wed, Feb 8, 2023 at 10:32 AM Peter Bennett <pb.mythtv@gmail.com> wrote:

> On 2/8/23 11:09, James Abernathy wrote:
>

> On Mon, Feb 6, 2023 at 12:22 PM James Abernathy <jfabernathy@gmail.com>
> wrote:
>

>> On Mon, Feb 6, 2023 at 11:49 AM James Abernathy <jfabernathy@gmail.com>
>> wrote:

>>> Could it be the Pre-33 version of mythfrontend? I checked this morning
>>> and that is the latest.
>>>
>>> Jim
>>>

>> I downloaded the Functionality theme but since it's on a FireTV Android
>> device, I have no idea what to do with the zip file?
>>
>> The whole reason to have the Functionality theme is to view the Schedule
>> page and pick things to record. It has the 4 hour 14 line format.
>>
>> I tried downloading the themes you mentioned and all failed with the
>> error mentioned above. It must be the pre-version of mythfrontend-android.
>>
>> Jim A
>>

> I just downloaded and installed the Android mythfrontend
> fies/33(v33.1), mythfrontend-20230206-arm-v33.1.apk on my FireTV 4K stick.
> It also has issues with changing the themes.
>
> I tried to download and change to every theme listed and they all return
> an error (ERROR: Downloading theme package from master backend.)
>
> Not sure of a workaround since this is android.
>
> Jim A
>

> Workaround:
> Theme download with adb
> Open in browser: http://themes.mythtv.org/themes/repository/33/themes.zip
> unzip themes.zip
> There is a directory under 33 for each theme containing a themeinfo.xml
> file
> for example 33/Steppes/themeinfo.xml
> look in the themeinfo.xml for the theme you want
> Find a line like this in the file
> <downloadurl>
> http://ftp.osuosl.org/pub/mythtv/themes/33/Steppes-2.54_33.zip
> </downloadurl>
> Run that url in a browser to download the theme zip from that url.
> http://ftp.osuosl.org/pub/mythtv/themes/33/Steppes-2.54_33.zip
> Convert the zip file to a tar:
> unzip Steppes-2.54_33.zip
> tar cvf Steppes-2.54_33.tar Steppes
> Upload the tar to the android tv device:
> adb connect f-dev.lan
> adb push Steppes-2.54_33.tar /data/local/tmp/
> Copy it to mythfrontend:
> adb shell
> run-as org.mythtv.mythfrontend
> cd files/themes
> tar xvf /data/local/tmp/Steppes-2.54_33.tar
> Ignore the many error messages messages "tar: chown 1000:1099
> 'Steppes/Images/Recording/recording.26.png': Operation not permitted"
> Go into mythfrontend and select the theme
> Disconnect adb:
> adb disconnect
>
> Peter

Thanks a bunch. This worked for me. I'll definitely save this email in
my tips and tricks folder.

Jim A
Re: Android mythfrontend for V33 [ In reply to ]
On 2/6/2023 10:34 AM, James Abernathy wrote:
> I upgraded the backend to v33 and everything seems to be working.
> However, I'm using  33-Pre-924-g6f87ffba14 Android mythfrontend.  It
> seems to be working fine with v33 except I can't download and use
> certain Themes.
>
> When I try to select Functionality 31.2, I get ERROR: Downloading
> theme package from master backend.
>
> Jim A

Thanks Peter, also worked for me.  I used Steppes-large-1.10.33.

Don

Re: Android mythfrontend for V33 [ In reply to ]
On 2/10/23 10:33, Donald Brett via mythtv-users wrote:
> On 2/6/2023 10:34 AM, James Abernathy wrote:
>> I upgraded the backend to v33 and everything seems to be working.
>> However, I'm using  33-Pre-924-g6f87ffba14 Android mythfrontend.  It
>> seems to be working fine with v33 except I can't download and use
>> certain Themes.
>>
>> When I try to select Functionality 31.2, I get ERROR: Downloading
>> theme package from master backend.
>>
>> Jim A

> Thanks Peter, also worked for me.  I used Steppes-large-1.10.33.
>
> Don

This is now fixed in v33 and master.

Peter