Mailing List Archive

Ceton dri'mver build prompts for keys
Hello, this maybe slightly off-topic, but the drivers I'm trying to build
for my Ceton Infinitv 4 PCI-E fail because of the lack of driver keys. I am
running EFI, but without Secure Boot installed. Is the kernel now requiring
signed drivers regardless of Secure Boot status? I'm running the stock
Ubuntu 22.04 kernel and haven't built a custom kernel in years.

Installing ctn91xx driver...
> make[1]: Entering directory '/usr/src/linux-headers-5.15.0-58-generic'
> arch/x86/Makefile:142: CONFIG_X86_X32 enabled but no binutils support
> INSTALL /lib/modules/5.15.0-58-generic/extra/ctn91xx.ko
> SIGN /lib/modules/5.15.0-58-generic/extra/ctn91xx.ko
> At main.c:160:
> - SSL error:FFFFFFFF80000002:system library::No such file or directory:
> ../crypto/bio/bss_file.c:67
> - SSL error:10000080:BIO routines::no such file:
> ../crypto/bio/bss_file.c:75
> sign-file: certs/signing_key.pem: No such file or directory
> DEPMOD /lib/modules/5.15.0-58-generic
> Warning: modules_install: missing 'System.map' file. Skipping depmod.
> make[1]: Leaving directory '/usr/src/linux-headers-5.15.0-58-generic'
> cp 98-ctn91xx.rules /etc/udev/rules.d/
> /sbin/depmod -a

I thought I'd be golden by disabling Secure Boot, but apparently not!

Steve

Steve Greene
(301) 842-8923
historicity.co
An independent archival professional specializing in still photography,
moving images and recorded sound.
Re: Ceton dri'mver build prompts for keys [ In reply to ]
On Fri, Jan 27, 2023 at 10:59 PM Steve Greene <sgreene820@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hello, this maybe slightly off-topic, but the drivers I'm trying to build for my Ceton Infinitv 4 PCI-E fail because of the lack of driver keys. I am running EFI, but without Secure Boot installed. Is the kernel now requiring signed drivers regardless of Secure Boot status? I'm running the stock Ubuntu 22.04 kernel and haven't built a custom kernel in years.
>

> I thought I'd be golden by disabling Secure Boot, but apparently not!

What does `mokutil --sb-state` show?

A few set of instructions for disabling secure boot from Canonical:

https://wiki.ubuntu.com/UEFI/SecureBoot/DKMS
Re: Ceton dri'mver build prompts for keys [ In reply to ]

> What does `mokutil --sb-state` show?

It returns the message: "EFI variables are not supported on this system".
Interesting. I'm pretty sure I installed as EFI not legacy. This
motherboard is old enough that it could have a slightly broken firmware WRT
"Trusted Computing".

Re: Ceton dri'mver build prompts for keys [ In reply to ]
On 30/01/2023 01:38, Steve Greene wrote:

>> What does `mokutil --sb-state` show?
>>

> It returns the message: "EFI variables are not supported on this system".
> Interesting. I'm pretty sure I installed as EFI not legacy. This
> motherboard is old enough that it could have a slightly broken firmware WRT
> "Trusted Computing".

It might not be 'trusted computing'. I have an oldish Intel motherboard which has EFI and I use it
with that, but the implementation is different than all the other motherboards. If I want to
upgrade/reinstall using that m/b I have to do it from scratch... and I always forget. A system built
there won't boot anywhere else and I can't put any other disk in there with reformatting it.

So your problem might be EFI not just trusted computing.

--

Mike Perkins