Mailing List Archive

Help with HDHomerun
Folks,
I am in the process of adding a (what I thought was a HomeRun Connect
Duo) HDHomeRun to my setup.
Existing 2 tuners are FREEBOX (IPTV tuners) handled by hardware
encoders fed from set-top box HDMI, with external
channel changing handled by 2 scripts tied into Myth via
"recording_pending" and "recording_started" events.
Works just fine.

I have picked up I thought a connect duo, poking at the http interface
of it, it actuallu appears to be
HDFX-2US (IE: Flex Duo) running 20221205 firmware.
It scaned channels, and I can see/watch it with the Windows app, or
from the "hdhomerun-config-gui"
on the Myth box.

I have handled getting guide data in, it shows up in the web-gui (the
HDHR channels), I tell it to record
something and end up with a ZERO byte file, I see no errors, the events
for pending and started properly ignore
these 2 tuners...

How in the heck does this thing pick it's channels, and how does Myth
pick it up ?

Is my issue that I really need some way to "change channels" on this
thing ? I would have assumed that
since it's all on the network, that Myth knows how to talk to it and
what to do ?

Suggestions on how to proceed or what to be looking at ?

The Myth box is on Linux Mint 20.3 (which is built on Ubuntu 20.04 LTS)
and is running
"31.0+fixes.202203040618.7e4ce1ba98~ubuntu20.04.1"

Thanks as always,
Jim
Re: Help with HDHomerun [ In reply to ]
On Mon, Jan 23, 2023 at 6:18 PM James B Huber <jbhuber@judahnet.net> wrote:

> Folks,
> I am in the process of adding a (what I thought was a HomeRun Connect
> Duo) HDHomeRun to my setup.
> Existing 2 tuners are FREEBOX (IPTV tuners) handled by hardware encoders
> fed from set-top box HDMI, with external
> channel changing handled by 2 scripts tied into Myth via
> "recording_pending" and "recording_started" events.
> Works just fine.
>
> I have picked up I thought a connect duo, poking at the http interface of
> it, it actuallu appears to be
> HDFX-2US (IE: Flex Duo) running 20221205 firmware.
> It scaned channels, and I can see/watch it with the Windows app, or from
> the "hdhomerun-config-gui"
> on the Myth box.
>
> I have handled getting guide data in, it shows up in the web-gui (the HDHR
> channels), I tell it to record
> something and end up with a ZERO byte file, I see no errors, the events
> for pending and started properly ignore
> these 2 tuners...
>
> How in the heck does this thing pick it's channels, and how does Myth pick
> it up ?
>
> Is my issue that I really need some way to "change channels" on this thing
> ? I would have assumed that
> since it's all on the network, that Myth knows how to talk to it and what
> to do ?
>
> Suggestions on how to proceed or what to be looking at ?
>
> The Myth box is on Linux Mint 20.3 (which is built on Ubuntu 20.04 LTS)
> and is running
> "31.0+fixes.202203040618.7e4ce1ba98~ubuntu20.04.1"
>
> Thanks as always,
> Jim

In mythtv-setup you just add 2 HDHR tuners, since it's a Duo. Add you
Video Source, OTA(EIT) or Schedules Direct, etc.

Then in Input Connections associate the Video source to the tuners and on
at least one of the tuners you need to run the Scan part of Input
Connections.

That should do it.

Jim A
Re: Help with HDHomerun [ In reply to ]
Doing a TOP posting no-no...
I did all that, I have 2 tuners, I look on the DB and the Channel ID's
XMLTV ID's etc. all look just fine.I see the following in the backend
logs when I start it up:Jan 23 18:06:18 ezekiel mythbackend:
mythbackend[1315778]: I CoreContext recorders/hdhrstreamhandler.cpp:385
(Connect) HDHRSH[0](1092523D): Added 2 devices from 1092523DJan 23
18:06:18 ezekiel mythbackend: mythbackend[1315778]: I CoreContext
recorders/hdhrstreamhandler.cpp:402 (Connect) HDHRSH[0](1092523D):
Connected to device(1092523D-0)Jan 23 18:06:18 ezekiel mythbackend:
mythbackend[1315778]: E CoreContext recorders/hdhrstreamhandler.cpp:484
(TunerSet) HDHRSH[0](1092523D): DeviceSet(vchannel WOTFDT3): ERROR:
invalid virtual channel
FWIW, that is the name on channel 26.3

Jim

Re: Help with HDHomerun [ In reply to ]
On 1/23/2023 5:34 PM, James B Huber wrote:
> [...]
>>>
>>> How in the heck does this thing pick it's channels, and how does
>>> Myth pick it up ?
>>>
>>> Is my issue that I really need some way to "change channels" on this
>>> thing ? I would have assumed that
>>> since it's all on the network, that Myth knows how to talk to it and
>>> what to do ?
>>>
>>> Suggestions on how to proceed or what to be looking at ?
>>>
>>> The Myth box is on Linux Mint 20.3 (which is built on Ubuntu 20.04
>>> LTS) and is running
>>> "31.0+fixes.202203040618.7e4ce1ba98~ubuntu20.04.1"
>>>
>>> Thanks as always,
>>> Jim
>>>

>> In mythtv-setup you just add 2 HDHR tuners, since it's a Duo.  Add
>> you Video Source, OTA(EIT) or Schedules Direct, etc.
>>
>> Then in Input Connections associate the Video source to the tuners
>> and on at least one of the tuners you need to run the Scan part of

FWIW, I have an Hdhomerun quatro, which has four tuners.  Sometimes an
example is helpful.

Capture cards > Created 4 tuners, all pointing to the same ip address,
each with a unique name (Ant-1, Ant-2, Ant-3, Ant-4)
Video sources > Created a single source, named "Antenna", using
Schedules Direct JSON API (xmltv) for the Listing Grabber
Input connections > Created 4 connections:
    "Input name" is MPEG2TS on each connection
    "Display name is Ant-1 for first, Ant-2 for second, Ant-3 for
third, and Ant-4 for forth
    "Video Source" is Antenna for each connection

Don

Re: Help with HDHomerun [ In reply to ]
On 1/23/2023 11:24 PM, Donald Brett via mythtv-users wrote:
> On 1/23/2023 5:34 PM, James B Huber wrote:
>> Doing a TOP posting no-no...
>>
>> I did all that, I have 2 tuners, I look on the DB and the Channel
>> ID's XMLTV ID's etc. all look just fine.
>> I see the following in the backend logs when I start it up:
>> Jan 23 18:06:18 ezekiel mythbackend: mythbackend[1315778]: I
>> CoreContext recorders/hdhrstreamhandler.cpp:385 (Connect)
>> HDHRSH[0](1092523D): Added 2 devices from 1092523D
>> Jan 23 18:06:18 ezekiel mythbackend: mythbackend[1315778]: I
>> CoreContext recorders/hdhrstreamhandler.cpp:402 (Connect)
>> HDHRSH[0](1092523D): Connected to device(1092523D-0)
>> Jan 23 18:06:18 ezekiel mythbackend: mythbackend[1315778]: E
>> CoreContext recorders/hdhrstreamhandler.cpp:484 (TunerSet)
>> HDHRSH[0](1092523D): DeviceSet(vchannel WOTFDT3): ERROR: invalid
>> virtual channel
>>
>> FWIW, that is the name on channel 26.3
>>

>> Jim
>>
>> On Mon, 2023-01-23 at 18:26 -0500, James Abernathy wrote:

>>> In mythtv-setup you just add 2 HDHR tuners, since it's a Duo.  Add
>>> you Video Source, OTA(EIT) or Schedules Direct, etc.
>>>
>>> Then in Input Connections associate the Video source to the tuners
>>> and on at least one of the tuners you need to run the Scan part of
>>> Input Connections.
>>>
>>> That should do it.
>>>
>>> Jim A

>>> MythTV Forums:
>>> https://forum.mythtv.org
>>> <https://forum.mythtv.org>

> FWIW, I have an Hdhomerun quatro, which has four tuners. Sometimes an
> example is helpful.
>
> Capture cards > Created 4 tuners, all pointing to the same ip address,
> each with a unique name (Ant-1, Ant-2, Ant-3, Ant-4)
> Video sources > Created a single source, named "Antenna", using
> Schedules Direct JSON API (xmltv) for the Listing Grabber
> Input connections > Created 4 connections:
>     "Input name" is MPEG2TS on each connection
>     "Display name is Ant-1 for first, Ant-2 for second, Ant-3 for
> third, and Ant-4 for forth
>     "Video Source" is Antenna for each connection
>
> Don

By the way, check Input Connections > Pick an input > scroll to
"Starting channel" and confirm it's correct.  I've seen bad numbers on
this field.  Repeat for each connection.

Don

Re: Help with HDHomerun [ In reply to ]
Snipping Cruft...

On Mon, 2023-01-23 at 23:38 -0600, Donald Brett via mythtv-users wrote:

> > FWIW, I have an Hdhomerun quatro, which has four tuners.
> > Sometimes an example is helpful.
> >

> > Capture cards > Created 4 tuners, all pointing to the same ip
> > address, each with a unique name (Ant-1, Ant-2, Ant-3, Ant-4)
> >
> > Video sources > Created a single source, named "Antenna",
> > using
> > Schedules Direct JSON API (xmltv) for the Listing Grabber
> >
> > Input connections > Created 4 connections:
> >
> > "Input name" is MPEG2TS on each connection
> >
> > "Display name is Ant-1 for first, Ant-2 for second, Ant-3
> > for
> > third, and Ant-4 for forth
> >
> > "Video Source" is Antenna for each connection
> >

> > Don
> >

> By the way, check Input Connections > Pick an input > scroll
> to "Starting channel" and confirm it's correct. I've seen bad
> numbers on this field. Repeat for each connection.
>

> Don
Thanks Don,
I ended up just editing the DataBase and throwing out all the junk
for the "new" tuners/capture cards and everything that goes with it.
I thought I had done exactly the same steps you outlined above,
obviously I messed it up somewhere.
Started over clean and have it all working now.

Again, thanks to all for helping !

Jim