regional SD channels will close and only the HD ones will remain taking
over the 101 channel position of the SD ones in most cases. It sounds
like there will still be one SD BBC1 channel called BBC One Nightlight
which will be BBC1 but without any regional content. The switch over
will take a couple of months to complete so expect some disruptions.

This article on RXTV gives more in-depth details :-

https://rxtvinfo.com/2023/sky-and-freesat-start-bbc-hd-channel-upgrade/

Paul H.

Re: BBC HD channels upgrade starting soon on Freesat [ In reply to ]
On 22/01/2023 11:52, Paul Harrison wrote:
> Just a heads up for UK Freesat users the BBC will be starting it's channel shuffling on Tuesday 24th
> January 2023 where eventually all the regional SD channels will close and only the HD ones will
> remain taking over the 101 channel position of the SD ones in most cases. It sounds like there will
> still be one SD BBC1 channel called BBC One Nightlight which will be BBC1 but without any regional
> content. The switch over will take a couple of months to complete so expect some disruptions.
>

> This article on RXTV gives more in-depth details :-
>
> https://rxtvinfo.com/2023/sky-and-freesat-start-bbc-hd-channel-upgrade/

I know info this is satellite-specific but will any of the channel switching spread to Freeview as
well? If so, is there a source for that info?

--

Mike Perkins

Re: BBC HD channels upgrade starting soon on Freesat [ In reply to ]
On 22/01/2023 15:04, Mike Perkins wrote:

> On 22/01/2023 11:52, Paul Harrison wrote:
>> Just a heads up for UK Freesat users the BBC will be starting it's
>> channel shuffling on Tuesday 24th January 2023 where eventually all
>> the regional SD channels will close and only the HD ones will remain
>> taking over the 101 channel position of the SD ones in most cases. It
>> sounds like there will still be one SD BBC1 channel called BBC One
>> Nightlight which will be BBC1 but without any regional content. The
>> switch over will take a couple of months to complete so expect some
>> disruptions.
>>

>> This article on RXTV gives more in-depth details :-
>>
>> https://rxtvinfo.com/2023/sky-and-freesat-start-bbc-hd-channel-upgrade/
>>
> I know info this is satellite-specific but will any of the channel
> switching spread to Freeview as well? If so, is there a source for
> that info?

Yeah these changes only affect FreeSat and Sky. I guess it's all part of
a cost cutting exercise by the BBC?

I don't think any of these changes will affect Freeview in any way.
There is still a lot of Freeview equipment out there that doesn't even
support HD so the SD broadcasts will be available for a good while
longer. The available bandwidth on Freeview is very restricted so there
isn't a lot of room to play with anyway only made worse by one multiplex
recently closing down to make way for more mobile services :(

The Freeview updates page on RXTV is a good page to keep up with all the
changes.

https://rxtvinfo.com/freeview-updates/

Paul H.

Re: BBC HD channels upgrade starting soon on Freesat [ In reply to ]
On 22/01/2023 16:02, Paul Harrison wrote:
> On 22/01/2023 15:04, Mike Perkins wrote:
>
>> On 22/01/2023 11:52, Paul Harrison wrote:
>>> Just a heads up for UK Freesat users the BBC will be starting it's channel shuffling on Tuesday
>>> 24th January 2023 where eventually all the regional SD channels will close and only the HD ones
>>> will remain taking over the 101 channel position of the SD ones in most cases. It sounds like
>>> there will still be one SD BBC1 channel called BBC One Nightlight which will be BBC1 but without
>>> any regional content. The switch over will take a couple of months to complete so expect some
>>> disruptions.
>>>

>>> This article on RXTV gives more in-depth details :-
>>>
>>> https://rxtvinfo.com/2023/sky-and-freesat-start-bbc-hd-channel-upgrade/
>>>
>> I know info this is satellite-specific but will any of the channel switching spread to Freeview as
>> well? If so, is there a source for that info?
>>

> Yeah these changes only affect FreeSat and Sky. I guess it's all part of a cost cutting exercise by
> the BBC?
>
> I don't think any of these changes will affect Freeview in any way. There is still a lot of Freeview
> equipment out there that doesn't even support HD so the SD broadcasts will be available for a good
> while longer. The available bandwidth on Freeview is very restricted so there isn't a lot of room to
> play with anyway only made worse by one multiplex recently closing down to make way for more mobile
> services :(
>

> The Freeview updates page on RXTV is a good page to keep up with all the changes.
>
> https://rxtvinfo.com/freeview-updates/

Useful. Thanks. Bookmarked.

--

Mike Perkins

Re: BBC HD channels upgrade starting soon on Freesat [ In reply to ]
I'm guessing the the entry for 14th December 2023 is a typo on the date.
Not a great indication of that site's attention to detail.