Quad PCIe card and the traveling backend is HDHomeRun tuners, I have some
setup work to do but am I missing anything else?

Jim A
Re: building a duplicate backend [ In reply to ]
> On 17 Jan 2023, at 10:07 pm, James Abernathy <jfabernathy@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> I want to confirm what I think I need to do to create a duplicate backend so I can take it with me.
>
> My production backend has a lot of TV recordings that I have not watched yet. I thought I would take a snapshot of my production backend with me.
>
> Both my production backend and traveling backend are v32 on Ubuntu 22.04 derivative Distro's.
>
> I think all I have to do is move the contents of the production backend Storage Group directories to the same relative directories on the traveling backend and then take a backup of the production mythconverg database and restore that to the traveling backend's database.
>
> Since the tuner hardware on the production backend is a Hauppauge WinTV Quad PCIe card and the traveling backend is HDHomeRun tuners, I have some setup work to do but am I missing anything else?

Jim why not do a DB backup and restore on the dup frontend
Duplicate the files you want

If you select a recording or video that is not present you get a 'can't open' dialog
every thing else 'just works'

You can repeat when you want to. (next time)

James

PS it is easy to redo (only) the hardware bits if you need to, but I don't bother - there is no hardware on my dup
Re: building a duplicate backend [ In reply to ]
On Tue, Jan 17, 2023 at 9:21 AM James <jam@tigger.ws> wrote:

> On 17 Jan 2023, at 10:07 pm, James Abernathy <jfabernathy@gmail.com>
> wrote:
>
> I want to confirm what I think I need to do to create a duplicate backend
> so I can take it with me.
>
> My production backend has a lot of TV recordings that I have not
> watched yet. I thought I would take a snapshot of my production backend
> with me.
>
> Both my production backend and traveling backend are v32 on Ubuntu 22.04
> derivative Distro's.
>
> I think all I have to do is move the contents of the production backend
> Storage Group directories to the same relative directories on the traveling
> backend and then take a backup of the production mythconverg database and
> restore that to the traveling backend's database.
>
> Since the tuner hardware on the production backend is a Hauppauge WinTV
> Quad PCIe card and the traveling backend is HDHomeRun tuners, I have some
> setup work to do but am I missing anything else?
>

> Jim why not do a DB backup and restore on the dup frontend
> Duplicate the files you want
>
> If you select a recording or video that is not present you get a 'can't
> open' dialog
> every thing else 'just works'
>
> You can repeat when you want to. (next time)
>
> James
>
> PS it is easy to redo (only) the hardware bits if you need to, but I don't
> bother - there is no hardware on my dup

I will be adding recordings of OTA TV while traveling so I'll have to set
up the hardware again and at least once I'll have to add a SchedulesDirect
entry where I'll be for that time period. That part I've done. I just have
not dupped the home backend before.

Jim A
Re: building a duplicate backend [ In reply to ]
On Tue, 17 Jan 2023 09:07:44 -0500, you wrote:

>I want to confirm what I think I need to do to create a duplicate backend
>so I can take it with me.
>
>My production backend has a lot of TV recordings that I have not
>watched yet. I thought I would take a snapshot of my production backend
>with me.
>
>Both my production backend and traveling backend are v32 on Ubuntu 22.04
>derivative Distro's.
>
>I think all I have to do is move the contents of the production backend
>Storage Group directories to the same relative directories on the traveling
>backend and then take a backup of the production mythconverg database and
>restore that to the traveling backend's database.
>
>Since the tuner hardware on the production backend is a Hauppauge WinTV
>Quad PCIe card and the traveling backend is HDHomeRun tuners, I have some
>setup work to do but am I missing anything else?
>
>Jim A

If you want fully identical duplication, you can backup the production
database and restore it on the traveling machine. But that means that
you will need to have both machines using the same hostname and
possibly also the same IP address. This makes it difficult to have
both machines on the same network. It is better to use different
hostnames and use the --change_hostname option of
mythconverg_restore.pl to change the hostname when doing the database
restore.

Personally, I use my laptop as my traveling machine, and it has two
hard drives in an external dual USB mount that I just transfer
recordings onto to take with me. I use mythexport/mythimport to do
that. So the laptop has an independent setup and just gets imported
recordings added to its database. There is no way I would want to
take my production box's hard drives away with me, as I need them on
that box doing recordings while I am away. My laptop is capable of
recording using a couple of USB tuners, but I rarely do that as two
drives of recordings is quite enough for a few weeks away from home.
And if I am staying somewhere there is decent enough Internet, I can
just download some new recordings from home and import them. I run an
OpenVPN server on my home network and VNC servers on each PC so I have
full control of the PCs at home as long as I have even a basic
Internet connection. The four drives that store my videos, photos,
music and so on are on a quad SATA/USB drive carrier that I can just
disconnect from the production system SATA port and plug into the
laptop via its USB port, so I also take that with me. One of the USB
tuners has an IR receiver onboard, so I can use an IR remote just like
at home, and I have a long HDMI cable to plug into any big screen that
is available. But the laptop has a 17" screen anyway, so it is fine
for a couple of people to watch at the same time.
Re: building a duplicate backend [ In reply to ]
On Tue, Jan 17, 2023 at 11:10 AM Stephen Worthington <
stephen_agent@jsw.gen.nz> wrote:

> On Tue, 17 Jan 2023 09:07:44 -0500, you wrote:
>
> >I want to confirm what I think I need to do to create a duplicate backend
> >so I can take it with me.
> >
> >My production backend has a lot of TV recordings that I have not
> >watched yet. I thought I would take a snapshot of my production backend
> >with me.
> >
> >Both my production backend and traveling backend are v32 on Ubuntu 22.04
> >derivative Distro's.
> >
> >I think all I have to do is move the contents of the production backend
> >Storage Group directories to the same relative directories on the
> traveling
> >backend and then take a backup of the production mythconverg database and
> >restore that to the traveling backend's database.
> >
> >Since the tuner hardware on the production backend is a Hauppauge WinTV
> >Quad PCIe card and the traveling backend is HDHomeRun tuners, I have some
> >setup work to do but am I missing anything else?
> >
> >Jim A
>
> If you want fully identical duplication, you can backup the production
> database and restore it on the traveling machine. But that means that
> you will need to have both machines using the same hostname and
> possibly also the same IP address. This makes it difficult to have
> both machines on the same network. It is better to use different
> hostnames and use the --change_hostname option of
> mythconverg_restore.pl to change the hostname when doing the database
> restore.
>
> Personally, I use my laptop as my traveling machine, and it has two
> hard drives in an external dual USB mount that I just transfer
> recordings onto to take with me. I use mythexport/mythimport to do
> that. So the laptop has an independent setup and just gets imported
> recordings added to its database. There is no way I would want to
> take my production box's hard drives away with me, as I need them on
> that box doing recordings while I am away. My laptop is capable of
> recording using a couple of USB tuners, but I rarely do that as two
> drives of recordings is quite enough for a few weeks away from home.
> And if I am staying somewhere there is decent enough Internet, I can
> just download some new recordings from home and import them. I run an
> OpenVPN server on my home network and VNC servers on each PC so I have
> full control of the PCs at home as long as I have even a basic
> Internet connection. The four drives that store my videos, photos,
> music and so on are on a quad SATA/USB drive carrier that I can just
> disconnect from the production system SATA port and plug into the
> laptop via its USB port, so I also take that with me. One of the USB
> tuners has an IR receiver onboard, so I can use an IR remote just like
> at home, and I have a long HDMI cable to plug into any big screen that
> is available. But the laptop has a 17" screen anyway, so it is fine
> for a couple of people to watch at the same time.

So does the mythexport/mythimport preserve metadata for the recordings?

I might do that next time as this was more work than I had anticipated.
Since the backends had different names and different hardware, mythtv-setup
after the restore did the usual crash 3 times until I got serious and ran
mythtv-setup.real -v most:debug and that scared it into working. But I did
have to do a complete setup to get all the parameters right.

But in the end I have all the recordings with metadata, and schedules on my
travel backend. They will run in parallel for a few weeks before I leave
and I'll move the travel BE to my RV and set up the antenna system to the
HDHR. I use Mobile Data and a tethered AP/Router.

I'll have all the recordings on my production BE when I return, but can
delete the ones I've already seen on the travel BE.

Thanks, all,

Jim A
Re: building a duplicate backend [ In reply to ]
On Tue, Jan 17, 2023 at 11:48 AM James Abernathy <jfabernathy@gmail.com>
wrote:

> [...]
>> for a couple of people to watch at the same time.
>>

> So does the mythexport/mythimport preserve metadata for the recordings?
>
> I might do that next time as this was more work than I had anticipated.
> Since the backends had different names and different hardware, mythtv-setup
> after the restore did the usual crash 3 times until I got serious and ran
> mythtv-setup.real -v most:debug and that scared it into working. But I did
> have to do a complete setup to get all the parameters right.
>
> But in the end I have all the recordings with metadata, and schedules on
> my travel backend. They will run in parallel for a few weeks before I leave
> and I'll move the travel BE to my RV and set up the antenna system to the
> HDHR. I use Mobile Data and a tethered AP/Router.
>
> I'll have all the recordings on my production BE when I return, but can
> delete the ones I've already seen on the travel BE.

Here's an odd one. So I have the duplicate backend up and running on my
travel BE which is an Intel NUC. Everything I've tested works and I can
play all those recordings I did on the production BE. However, I installed
Kodi and Kodi-pvr-mythtv and it can launch livetv, but it can't play any of
the previous recordings from the old backend. mythfrontend can but not
kodi. I looked in the log and it can't connect with the backend. However,
it connects fine for all the new stuff. Even new recordings that get setup
on the travel BE. Just can play the ones brought over from the Production
backend. I wonder what in the database is confusing the Kodi system.

Not a big deal since I'll probably use mythfrontend or Leanfront on a
FireTV most of the time, but Kodi is nice for videos and music.

Jim A
Re: building a duplicate backend [ In reply to ]
On Tue, Jan 17, 2023 at 2:13 PM James Abernathy <jfabernathy@gmail.com>
wrote:

> [...]
>>
>> Thanks, all,
>>
>> Jim A
>>

> Here's an odd one. So I have the duplicate backend up and running on my
> travel BE which is an Intel NUC. Everything I've tested works and I can
> play all those recordings I did on the production BE. However, I installed
> Kodi and Kodi-pvr-mythtv and it can launch livetv, but it can't play any of
> the previous recordings from the old backend. mythfrontend can but not
> kodi. I looked in the log and it can't connect with the backend. However,
> it connects fine for all the new stuff. Even new recordings that get setup
> on the travel BE. Just can play the ones brought over from the Production
> backend. I wonder what in the database is confusing the Kodi system.
>
> Not a big deal since I'll probably use mythfrontend or Leanfront on a
> FireTV most of the time, but Kodi is nice for videos and music.

It appears that the Recording Host is kept in the database. If I look at
the information "I" key twice in the List of recordings, my new recording
on the travel BE has its correct name. The recordings brought over had the
Production BE name. mythfrontend doesn't care but Kodi does. Interesting.
Re: building a duplicate backend [ In reply to ]
On Tue, Jan 17, 2023 at 2:43 PM James Abernathy <jfabernathy@gmail.com>
wrote:

> On Tue, Jan 17, 2023 at 2:13 PM James Abernathy <jfabernathy@gmail.com>
> wrote:
>

>> On Tue, Jan 17, 2023 at 11:48 AM James Abernathy <jfabernathy@gmail.com>
>> wrote:

>>> So does the mythexport/mythimport preserve metadata for the recordings?
>>>
>>> I might do that next time as this was more work than I had anticipated.
>>> Since the backends had different names and different hardware, mythtv-setup
>>> after the restore did the usual crash 3 times until I got serious and ran
>>> mythtv-setup.real -v most:debug and that scared it into working. But I did
>>> have to do a complete setup to get all the parameters right.
>>>
>>> But in the end I have all the recordings with metadata, and schedules on
>>> my travel backend. They will run in parallel for a few weeks before I leave
>>> and I'll move the travel BE to my RV and set up the antenna system to the
>>> HDHR. I use Mobile Data and a tethered AP/Router.
>>>
>>> I'll have all the recordings on my production BE when I return, but can
>>> delete the ones I've already seen on the travel BE.
>>>
>>> Thanks, all,
>>>
>>> Jim A
>>>

>> Here's an odd one. So I have the duplicate backend up and running on my
>> travel BE which is an Intel NUC. Everything I've tested works and I can
>> play all those recordings I did on the production BE. However, I installed
>> Kodi and Kodi-pvr-mythtv and it can launch livetv, but it can't play any of
>> the previous recordings from the old backend. mythfrontend can but not
>> kodi. I looked in the log and it can't connect with the backend. However,
>> it connects fine for all the new stuff. Even new recordings that get setup
>> on the travel BE. Just can play the ones brought over from the Production
>> backend. I wonder what in the database is confusing the Kodi system.
>>
>> Not a big deal since I'll probably use mythfrontend or Leanfront on a
>> FireTV most of the time, but Kodi is nice for videos and music.
>>
>> Jim A
>>

> It appears that the Recording Host is kept in the database. If I look at
> the information "I" key twice in the List of recordings, my new recording
> on the travel BE has its correct name. The recordings brought over had the
> Production BE name. mythfrontend doesn't care but Kodi does. Interesting.

For those playing along at home:
mysql> UPDATE recorded SET hostname = "den-pc";

This set the hostname of all the old recordings to the new hostname and now
kodi works as well as mythfrontend.

Jim A
Re: building a duplicate backend [ In reply to ]
On 1/17/23 14:17, James Abernathy wrote:

> [...]
> can play the ones brought over from the Production backend.  I wonder what in the database is confusing the Kodi system.
>
> Not a big deal since I'll probably use mythfrontend or Leanfront on a FireTV most of the time, but Kodi is nice for videos and music.
>
> Jim A
>

> It appears that the Recording Host is kept in the database.  If I look at the information "I" key twice in the List of recordings, my new
> recording on the travel BE has its correct name.  The recordings brought over had the Production BE name.  mythfrontend doesn't care but
> Kodi does.  Interesting.
>

> For those playing along at home:
> mysql> UPDATE recorded SET hostname = "den-pc";
>
> This set the hostname of all the old recordings to the new hostname and now kodi works as well as mythfrontend.

Did you use the --change_hostname option of mythconverg_restore.pl?

--
Bill

Re: building a duplicate backend [ In reply to ]
On Tue, Jan 17, 2023, 3:45 PM Bill Meek <keemllib@gmail.com> wrote:

> [...]
> > can play the ones brought over from the Production backend. I
> wonder what in the database is confusing the Kodi system.
> >
> > Not a big deal since I'll probably use mythfrontend or Leanfront
> on a FireTV most of the time, but Kodi is nice for videos and music.
> >
> > Jim A
> >

> > It appears that the Recording Host is kept in the database. If I
> look at the information "I" key twice in the List of recordings, my new
> > recording on the travel BE has its correct name. The recordings
> brought over had the Production BE name. mythfrontend doesn't care but
> > Kodi does. Interesting.
> >

> > For those playing along at home:
> > mysql> UPDATE recorded SET hostname = "den-pc";
> >
> > This set the hostname of all the old recordings to the new hostname and
> now kodi works as well as mythfrontend.
>
> Did you use the --change_hostname option of mythconverg_restore.pl?

Unfortunately I not smart enough to have done that. But I think I recovered
nicely ????

Jim A
Re: building a duplicate backend [ In reply to ]
On 1/17/23 14:56, James Abernathy wrote:

> [...]
> >
> >         Jim A
> >

> >     It appears that the Recording Host is kept in the database.  If I look at the information "I" key twice in the List of recordings, my new
> >     recording on the travel BE has its correct name.  The recordings brought over had the Production BE name.  mythfrontend doesn't care but
> >     Kodi does.  Interesting.
> >

> > For those playing along at home:
> > mysql> UPDATE recorded SET hostname = "den-pc";
> >
> > This set the hostname of all the old recordings to the new hostname and now kodi works as well as mythfrontend.
>
> Did you use the --change_hostname option of mythconverg_restore.pl <http://mythconverg_restore.pl>?
>
> --
> Bill
>
> ____________________________
>

> Unfortunately I not smart enough to have done that. But I think I recovered nicely ????

It's been a long time since I looked, but there are lots of tables in the DB that
use the hostname. The settings table is a big user for example. I'd consider retrying
the DB conversion. You'd need to re-do the capture cards as I saw the RV host has
different ones.

This list of tables using hostname is VERY old, don't use it to make changes:
capturecard`
displayprofilegroups
housekeeping
internetcontent
inuseprograms
jobqueue
jumppoints
keybindings
logging
music_playlists
mythlog
netvisionsearchgrabbers
netvisiontreegrabbers
profilegroups
recorded
recordedartwork
scannerpath
settings
storagegroup
tvchain
videometadata
weatherscreens
weathersourcesettings

--
Bill

Re: building a duplicate backend [ In reply to ]
On Tue, Jan 17, 2023, 4:19 PM Bill Meek <keemllib@gmail.com> wrote:

> [...]
> > >
> > > This set the hostname of all the old recordings to the new
> hostname and now kodi works as well as mythfrontend.
> >
> > Did you use the --change_hostname option of mythconverg_restore.pl <
> http://mythconverg_restore.pl>?
> >
> > --
> > Bill
> >
> > ____________________________
> >

> > Unfortunately I not smart enough to have done that. But I think I
> recovered nicely ????
>
> It's been a long time since I looked, but there are lots of tables in the
> DB that
> use the hostname. The settings table is a big user for example. I'd
> consider retrying
> the DB conversion. You'd need to re-do the capture cards as I saw the RV
> host has
> different ones.
>
> This list of tables using hostname is VERY old, don't use it to make

I just remembered that there hasn't been any significant activity on the
backend today so I could do another restore but this time with the right
options. ????

Jim A
Re: building a duplicate backend [ In reply to ]
On Tue, 17 Jan 2023 16:44:43 -0500, you wrote:

> [...]
>> jobqueue
>> jumppoints
>> keybindings
>> logging
>> music_playlists
>> mythlog
>> netvisionsearchgrabbers
>> netvisiontreegrabbers
>> profilegroups
>> recorded
>> recordedartwork
>> scannerpath
>> settings
>> storagegroup
>> tvchain
>> videometadata
>> weatherscreens
>> weathersourcesettings
>>
>> --
>> Bill
>>

>I just remembered that there hasn't been any significant activity on the
>backend today so I could do another restore but this time with the right

I have never used --change_hostname myself, but from the help text, it
looks like you run it after you have restored the backup, as a
separate run of mythconverg_restore.pl, so I would just try running it
now. Full help is here:

/usr/share/mythtv/mythconverg_restore.pl --help --help
Re: building a duplicate backend [ In reply to ]
On Tue, 17 Jan 2023 11:48:36 -0500, you wrote:

>So does the mythexport/mythimport preserve metadata for the recordings?

Yes, it also copies the metadata, but only the metadata from the
recording itself. If the system it is imported into does not have
matching channel data (the same chanid values), then you will get the
channel displayed as #<chanid>.
Re: building a duplicate backend [ In reply to ]
On Tue, Jan 17, 2023 at 11:50 PM Stephen Worthington <
stephen_agent@jsw.gen.nz> wrote:

> On Tue, 17 Jan 2023 16:44:43 -0500, you wrote:
>

> I have never used --change_hostname myself, but from the help text, it
> looks like you run it after you have restored the backup, as a
> separate run of mythconverg_restore.pl, so I would just try running it
> now. Full help is here:
>
> /usr/share/mythtv/mythconverg_restore.pl --help --help

So after stopping the backend, I went back to the latest Production BE
backup and restored it to the traveling BE. Then immediatly did the
--change_hostname. It produced a number of errors. Some were mysql in
nature and some were Perl. Not clear on how much success it had.

When I ran mythtv-setup the first time it immediately exited and asked to
start the backend and run mythfilldatabase. I said no to both. The next
time I ran mythtv-setup.real and got into the setup.

All of the Host stuff in the General items needed setting including the
Hostname but checking the box that this was the master allowed me to choose
the right hostname and it was in the list of choices. Obviously, old tuners
had to be deleted and new HDHR tuners added. The Video Sources was still
right, Connections had to be set and re-scanned. Storage Group Directories
had to be set up again since they changed.

But when I started the backend everything worked correctly, scheduled
recordings happened, all of the recordings, metadata, cover art, banner,
and fanart were still there. I also tested Kodi 20 with Kodi-pvr-mythtv
and it now worked on all TV, live and recorded, as well as Videos and Music.

I used find_orphans.py to clean up some missing pieces, mostly Live TV, but
everything seems to be set up correctly.

Thanks,

Jim A