Mailing List Archive

Help- mythtvbackend can't connect to database after upgrade to 22.04 LTS
I've been upgrading all my PCs to 22.04 LTS over the past week with success
and today I thought it was time to try my PC that runs
mythtv-backend.service. It now has issues with connecting to the database.

Before I restore everything to a previous snapshot, I wanted to see if
there was an obvious fix. Here is the log (journalctl -u
mythtv-backiend -b) attached to this email.
Re: Help- mythtvbackend can't connect to database after upgrade to 22.04 LTS [ In reply to ]
On Sun, 1 May 2022 06:58:34 -0400, you wrote:

>I've been upgrading all my PCs to 22.04 LTS over the past week with success
>and today I thought it was time to try my PC that runs
>mythtv-backend.service. It now has issues with connecting to the database.
>
>Before I restore everything to a previous snapshot, I wanted to see if
>there was an obvious fix. Here is the log (journalctl -u
>mythtv-backiend -b) attached to this email.

If you are using MariaDB you may have version 10.6 which has a nasty
(and stupid) breaking change to how you configure its "bind-address"
setting. It used to be that you set it to :: to get all IPv4 and all
IPv6 interfaces, or to * to get only all IPv4 interfaces. Now using
:: gives you only all IPv6 interfaces, and * gives you all IPv4 and
all IPv6 interfaces. So if you have previously set it to :: to future
proof yourself for IPv6, but are still connecting to the database
using IPv4, you will now be unable to connect. So try changing it to
*.

See this thread on the MythTV developers list:

https://lists.archive.carbon60.com/mythtv/dev/640444
Re: Help- mythtvbackend can't connect to database after upgrade to 22.04 LTS [ In reply to ]
On Sun, May 1, 2022 at 7:13 AM Stephen Worthington <stephen_agent@jsw.gen.nz>
wrote:

> On Sun, 1 May 2022 06:58:34 -0400, you wrote:
>
> >I've been upgrading all my PCs to 22.04 LTS over the past week with
> success
> >and today I thought it was time to try my PC that runs
> >mythtv-backend.service. It now has issues with connecting to the database.
> >
> >Before I restore everything to a previous snapshot, I wanted to see if
> >there was an obvious fix. Here is the log (journalctl -u
> >mythtv-backiend -b) attached to this email.
>
> If you are using MariaDB you may have version 10.6 which has a nasty
> (and stupid) breaking change to how you configure its "bind-address"
> setting. It used to be that you set it to :: to get all IPv4 and all
> IPv6 interfaces, or to * to get only all IPv4 interfaces. Now using
> :: gives you only all IPv6 interfaces, and * gives you all IPv4 and
> all IPv6 interfaces. So if you have previously set it to :: to future
> proof yourself for IPv6, but are still connecting to the database
> using IPv4, you will now be unable to connect. So try changing it to
> *.
>
> See this thread on the MythTV developers list:
>
> https://lists.archive.carbon60.com/mythtv/dev/640444

Thanks, Stephen. I am running mariadb. That was it. I changed :: to * in
the mythtv.cnf file and it worked.

BTW, this was a real proof of concept for my switch to BTRFS on my PC with
mythtv-backend running on it.

While I was waiting for your answer, which came in less than 15 minutes. I
was able to execute 4 commands in the terminal and restore the complete
system to where it was at 6am this morning. The restore of snapshots is
instantaneous. Once rebooted I was back to normal.

When I got your answer. I reversed the 4 commands, made the change to
mythtv.cnf, and rebooted. Back to a working Kubuntu 22.04 LTS with Mythtv
v32.

Thanks again for all your help over the years.

Jim A
Re: Help- mythtvbackend can't connect to database after upgrade to 22.04 LTS [ In reply to ]

> On Sun, 1 May 2022 06:58:34 -0400, you wrote:
>
>> I've been upgrading all my PCs to 22.04 LTS over the past week with success
>> and today I thought it was time to try my PC that runs
>> mythtv-backend.service. It now has issues with connecting to the database.
>>
>> Before I restore everything to a previous snapshot, I wanted to see if
>> there was an obvious fix. Here is the log (journalctl -u
>> mythtv-backiend -b) attached to this email.
> If you are using MariaDB you may have version 10.6 which has a nasty
> (and stupid) breaking change to how you configure its "bind-address"
> setting. It used to be that you set it to :: to get all IPv4 and all
> IPv6 interfaces, or to * to get only all IPv4 interfaces. Now using
> :: gives you only all IPv6 interfaces, and * gives you all IPv4 and
> all IPv6 interfaces. So if you have previously set it to :: to future
> proof yourself for IPv6, but are still connecting to the database
> using IPv4, you will now be unable to connect. So try changing it to
> *.
>
> See this thread on the MythTV developers list:
>
> https://lists.archive.carbon60.com/mythtv/dev/640444

Don't know why no one every recommends it but you can use an actual IP
address for the bind-address so the db server will only listen on that
one IP address. My servers all use static IP's so that's what I've done
for 15 years or more now and never had a problem like this.

Paul H.

Re: Help- mythtvbackend can't connect to database after upgrade to 22.04 LTS [ In reply to ]
> On 1 May 2022, at 6:58 pm, James Abernathy <jfabernathy@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> I've been upgrading all my PCs to 22.04 LTS over the past week with success and today I thought it was time to try my PC that runs mythtv-backend.service. It now has issues with connecting to the database.
>
> Before I restore everything to a previous snapshot, I wanted to see if there was an obvious fix. Here is the log (journalctl -u mythtv-backiend -b) attached to this email.

Jim in my journey I just installed (but I built from src) and all worked splendidly.
Backintime is IMHO the best backup tool out there. But (python woes) it does not work on 22.04.
I vaguely remember struggling to find the
bind = 0.0.0.0.
The easy test is from another machine
$ mysql -u mythtv -pmythtv -h backend.machine mythconverg

IIRC I also needed to get the qt5mysql deb.

If you are using someone else's ppa then you are at their mercy.
Even ubuntu's repository is sus eg apt-get install backintime-qt and it does not work.

A few days back I posted an ansible xml that DOES work. Not sure of status a few days later. But building with ansible (I was playing with an ASUS 8 core ryzen: built in 1 min) is quick n easy. There is an mc.sql in the src and
https://www.digitalocean.com/community/tutorials/how-to-install-linux-apache-mysql-php-lamp-stack-on-ubuntu-20-04 <https://www.digitalocean.com/community/tutorials/how-to-install-linux-apache-mysql-php-lamp-stack-on-ubuntu-20-04>

Shows you all that gets mythweb working.

James