IIRC since catelina macosx has not supported 32 bit (which is what i386 says)

MythFrontend-32-i386-12.3.1-v32.0-21-gbbd8355d8d-with-plugins.dmg

James

Re: macosx [ In reply to ]
On Wed, Apr 27, 2022 at 7:49 PM James <jam@tigger.ws> wrote:

> John
> your mac dmg on sourceforge are tagged 'i386'. Should that not be x86 to
> differentiate from ARM.
> IIRC since catelina macosx has not supported 32 bit (which is what i386
> says)

To automate the architecture tagging, the compile script uses the output of
"/usr/bin/arch" which on intel outputs i386, on ARM outputs arm64. This is
the case even on Big Sur and Monterey which do not support 32bit..

This is the simplest mechanism to automate tagging an architecture. Feel
free to suggest another one line command for tagging the filename and I'll
consider modifying it, otherwise, I do not see any real issues staying with
the same mechanism since it's what Apple seems to prefer.
Re: macosx [ In reply to ]
> On Apr 28, 2022, at 5:53 AM, John Hoyt <john.hoyt@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> On Wed, Apr 27, 2022 at 7:49 PM James <jam@tigger.ws <mailto:jam@tigger.ws>> wrote:
> John
> your mac dmg on sourceforge are tagged 'i386'. Should that not be x86 to differentiate from ARM.
> IIRC since catelina macosx has not supported 32 bit (which is what i386 says)
>
> To automate the architecture tagging, the compile script uses the output of "/usr/bin/arch" which on intel outputs i386, on ARM outputs arm64. This is the case even on Big Sur and Monterey which do not support 32bit..
>
> This is the simplest mechanism to automate tagging an architecture. Feel free to suggest another one line command for tagging the filename and I'll consider modifying it, otherwise, I do not see any real issues staying with the same mechanism since it's what Apple seems to prefer.

$ uname -m
x86_64

Craig
Re: macosx [ In reply to ]

> $ uname -m
> x86_64

Thanks Craig! The command outputs "arm64" on the M1, so I can probably
switch over without any hassle in the build script.
Re: macosx [ In reply to ]
On Thu, Apr 28, 2022 at 7:56 PM John Hoyt <john.hoyt@gmail.com> wrote:

> $ uname -m
>> x86_64
>>

> Thanks Craig! The command outputs "arm64" on the M1, so I can probably
> switch over without any hassle in the build script.

I've just uploaded to the usual place builds that now use the x86_64 naming
convention.
Re: macosx [ In reply to ]
> On 30 Apr 2022, at 12:42 am, John Hoyt <john.hoyt@gmail.com> wrote:
>

> On Thu, Apr 28, 2022 at 7:56 PM John Hoyt <john.hoyt@gmail.com> wrote:
> $ uname -m
> x86_64

because of protocol diffs I built my High Sierra frontend. Guide me please:

[haycorn] /Users/jam [509]% /Applications/mythfrontend.app/Contents/MacOS/mythfrontend
dyld: Library not loaded: /opt/local/lib/libjpeg.9.dylib
Referenced from: /Applications/mythfrontend.app/Contents/Frameworks/QtWebKit.framework/Versions/5/QtWebKit
Reason: image not found
Abort trap: 6

So I thought I’d be clever

[haycorn] /Users/jam [511]% sudo port install libjpeg-turbo
---> Cleaning libjpeg-turbo
---> Scanning binaries for linking errors
---> Found 20 broken files, matching files to ports
Warning: No port p5.26-net-ssleay found in the index; can't rebuild
---> Found 4 broken ports, determining rebuild order
You can always run 'port rev-upgrade' again to fix errors.
The following ports will be rebuilt:
ImageMagick @6.9.9-40+x11
inkscape @0.92.4+x11
libmng @2.0.3
qt5-qtwebkit @5.9.1
Continue? [Y/n]: y
---> Computing dependencies for libgcc11
---> Fetching archive for libgcc11
---> Attempting to fetch libgcc11-11.3.0_1.darwin_17.x86_64.tbz2 from http://packages.macports.org/libgcc11
---> Attempting to fetch libgcc11-11.3.0_1.darwin_17.x86_64.tbz2 from http://jog.id.packages.macports.org/macports/packages/libgcc11
---> Attempting to fetch libgcc11-11.3.0_1.darwin_17.x86_64.tbz2 from http://kmq.jp.packages.macports.org/libgcc11
---> Building libgcc11
Error: Failed to build libgcc11: command execution failed
Error: See /opt/local/var/macports/logs/_opt_local_var_macports_sources_rsync.macports.org_macports_release_tarballs_ports_lang_gcc11/libgcc11/main.log for details.
Error: Problem while installing libgcc11
Error: rev-upgrade failed: Error rebuilding ImageMagick
Error: Follow https://guide.macports.org/#project.tickets if you believe there is a bug.

Before I cry to mac ports am I being silly?

James

Re: macosx [ In reply to ]
On Sat, Apr 30, 2022 at 6:18 AM James Linder <jam@tigger.ws> wrote:

> > On 30 Apr 2022, at 12:42 am, John Hoyt <john.hoyt@gmail.com> wrote:
> >

> > On Thu, Apr 28, 2022 at 7:56 PM John Hoyt <john.hoyt@gmail.com> wrote:
> > $ uname -m
> > x86_64
>
> because of protocol diffs I built my High Sierra frontend. Guide me please:
>
> [haycorn] /Users/jam [509]% /Applications/
> mythfrontend.app/Contents/MacOS/mythfrontend
> dyld: Library not loaded: /opt/local/lib/libjpeg.9.dylib
> Referenced from: /Applications/
> mythfrontend.app/Contents/Frameworks/QtWebKit.framework/Versions/5/QtWebKit
> Reason: image not found
> Abort trap: 6
>
> So I thought I’d be clever
>
> [haycorn] /Users/jam [511]% sudo port install libjpeg-turbo
> ---> Cleaning libjpeg-turbo
> ---> Scanning binaries for linking errors
> ---> Found 20 broken files, matching files to ports
> Warning: No port p5.26-net-ssleay found in the index; can't rebuild
> ---> Found 4 broken ports, determining rebuild order
> You can always run 'port rev-upgrade' again to fix errors.
> The following ports will be rebuilt:
> ImageMagick @6.9.9-40+x11
> inkscape @0.92.4+x11
> libmng @2.0.3
> qt5-qtwebkit @5.9.1
> Continue? [Y/n]: y
> ---> Computing dependencies for libgcc11
> ---> Fetching archive for libgcc11
> ---> Attempting to fetch libgcc11-11.3.0_1.darwin_17.x86_64.tbz2 from
> http://packages.macports.org/libgcc11
> ---> Attempting to fetch libgcc11-11.3.0_1.darwin_17.x86_64.tbz2 from
> http://jog.id.packages.macports.org/macports/packages/libgcc11
> ---> Attempting to fetch libgcc11-11.3.0_1.darwin_17.x86_64.tbz2 from
> http://kmq.jp.packages.macports.org/libgcc11
> ---> Building libgcc11
> Error: Failed to build libgcc11: command execution failed
> Error: See
> /opt/local/var/macports/logs/_opt_local_var_macports_sources_rsync.macports.org_macports_release_tarballs_ports_lang_gcc11/libgcc11/main.log
> for details.
> Error: Problem while installing libgcc11
> Error: rev-upgrade failed: Error rebuilding ImageMagick
> Error: Follow https://guide.macports.org/#project.tickets if you believe
> there is a bug.
>
> Before I cry to mac ports am I being silly?

When was the last time you upgraded your ports tree / did a port selfupdate
/ port upgrade (i.e. before this recent update, assuming you updated :) )?

macports did a mass move to use libjpeg-turbo a while back. This broke a
ton of stuff that had unlisted dependencies - qt5-qtwebkit was one and was
resolved, but if you haven't updated your ports tree in a while, you're
probably experiencing that pain now.

Also, without seeing the exact build error, I'm not sure what's tripping
you up. There's a handful of open macports trac tickets that appear to
have been made after the most recent gcc11 update
<https://trac.macports.org/search?q=gcc11>, one of those could be your
issue. I always check trac (https://trac.macports.org/wiki/Tickets) first
before doing any serious troubleshooting as someone usually has a ticket
open and the ticket generally gets good attention from the macports
volunteers.

If it's not an issue already reported in an open ticket, my suggestion
would be to update your ports tree, upgrade your installed packages, then
try to uninstall the items needing a rev-upgrade, then reinstall as there's
probably already updated binary hanging out on the macports build system
that will avoid the need to compile all of the support libraries.

sudo port selfupdate

sudo port update outdated

sudo port -f uninstall qt5-qtwebkit libmng inkscape ImageMagick
sudo port install qt5-qtwebkit libmng inkscape ImageMagick

If that doesn't work, open a new ticket and make sure to include your error
log.

Craig may have a better suggestion.

Also, apologies to the folks that are stuck on high-sierra. I won't be
making any future builds for that OS as the harddrive hosting the VM for
that OS failed and I will not be reconstituting a VM for any OS that no
longer receives security patches.
Re: macosx [ In reply to ]
> On Apr 30, 2022, at 6:16 AM, James Linder <jam@tigger.ws> wrote:
>

>> On 30 Apr 2022, at 12:42 am, John Hoyt <john.hoyt@gmail.com> wrote:
>>

>> On Thu, Apr 28, 2022 at 7:56 PM John Hoyt <john.hoyt@gmail.com> wrote:
>> $ uname -m
>> x86_64
>
> because of protocol diffs I built my High Sierra frontend. Guide me please:
>
> [haycorn] /Users/jam [509]% /Applications/mythfrontend.app/Contents/MacOS/mythfrontend
> dyld: Library not loaded: /opt/local/lib/libjpeg.9.dylib
> Referenced from: /Applications/mythfrontend.app/Contents/Frameworks/QtWebKit.framework/Versions/5/QtWebKit
> Reason: image not found
> Abort trap: 6
>
> So I thought I’d be clever
>
> [haycorn] /Users/jam [511]% sudo port install libjpeg-turbo
> ---> Cleaning libjpeg-turbo
> ---> Scanning binaries for linking errors
> ---> Found 20 broken files, matching files to ports
> Warning: No port p5.26-net-ssleay found in the index; can't rebuild
> ---> Found 4 broken ports, determining rebuild order
> You can always run 'port rev-upgrade' again to fix errors.
> The following ports will be rebuilt:
> ImageMagick @6.9.9-40+x11
> inkscape @0.92.4+x11
> libmng @2.0.3
> qt5-qtwebkit @5.9.1
> Continue? [Y/n]: y
> ---> Computing dependencies for libgcc11
> ---> Fetching archive for libgcc11
> ---> Attempting to fetch libgcc11-11.3.0_1.darwin_17.x86_64.tbz2 from http://packages.macports.org/libgcc11
> ---> Attempting to fetch libgcc11-11.3.0_1.darwin_17.x86_64.tbz2 from http://jog.id.packages.macports.org/macports/packages/libgcc11
> ---> Attempting to fetch libgcc11-11.3.0_1.darwin_17.x86_64.tbz2 from http://kmq.jp.packages.macports.org/libgcc11
> ---> Building libgcc11
> Error: Failed to build libgcc11: command execution failed
> Error: See /opt/local/var/macports/logs/_opt_local_var_macports_sources_rsync.macports.org_macports_release_tarballs_ports_lang_gcc11/libgcc11/main.log for details.
> Error: Problem while installing libgcc11
> Error: rev-upgrade failed: Error rebuilding ImageMagick
> Error: Follow https://guide.macports.org/#project.tickets if you believe there is a bug.
>
> Before I cry to mac ports am I being silly?

Did you do ‘sudo port selfupdate’ before trying to install libjpeg-turbo?

libgcc11 takes a VERY long time to build from source and the port was updated 3 times in April. It is possible that a binary install was not available for High Sierra at just the moment you started the process. The last change was 3 days ago so a (10X) faster install ought to be available for you now.

I suggest you try:

sudo port clean libgcc11
# Most folks run the following 2 commands on a regular basis (weekly, monthly)
sudo port selfupdate
sudo port upgrade outdated

Re: macosx [ In reply to ]
> On 30 Apr 2022, at 8:42 pm, John Hoyt <john.hoyt@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> sudo port -f uninstall qt5-qtwebkit libmng inkscape ImageMagick

I would have lost money that I did selfupdate, but clearly I did not. Doing that now.
James
Re: macosx [ In reply to ]

> I would have lost money that I did selfupdate, but clearly I did not.
> Doing that now.

you may have. On one of my systems, I have to run selfupdate twice to get
it to pull down the latest ports tree from git. For that reason, I usually
run with the -d flag to see the git traffic in case I run into this
"feature".
Re: macosx [ In reply to ]
> On Apr 30, 2022, at 12:43 PM, John Hoyt <john.hoyt@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> I would have lost money that I did selfupdate, but clearly I did not. Doing that now.
>
> you may have. On one of my systems, I have to run selfupdate twice to get it to pull down the latest ports tree from git. For that reason, I usually run with the -d flag to see the git traffic in case I run into this "feature”.

If selfupdate has to update the port command (ie the MacPorts infrastructure), then it doesn’t update the port tree. You should get a message saying prompting you to run selfupdate again. (But I know the messages can be awfully ‘chatty’ and it is easy to ignore and important message when there is dross surrounding it.)

Craig
Re: macosx [ In reply to ]
> [...]
>> Error: Problem while installing libgcc11
>> Error: rev-upgrade failed: Error rebuilding ImageMagick
>> Error: Follow https://guide.macports.org/#project.tickets if you believe there is a bug.
>>
>> Before I cry to mac ports am I being silly?
>
> Did you do ‘sudo port selfupdate’ before trying to install libjpeg-turbo?
>
> libgcc11 takes a VERY long time to build from source and the port was updated 3 times in April. It is possible that a binary install was not available for High Sierra at just the moment you started the process. The last change was 3 days ago so a (10X) faster install ought to be available for you now.
>
> I suggest you try:
>
> sudo port clean libgcc11
> # Most folks run the following 2 commands on a regular basis (weekly, monthly)

[haycorn] /Users/jam [510]% sudo port upgrade outdated
---> Computing dependencies for libgcc11
---> Fetching archive for libgcc11
---> Attempting to fetch libgcc11-11.3.0_1.darwin_17.x86_64.tbz2 from http://packages.macports.org/libgcc11
---> Attempting to fetch libgcc11-11.3.0_1.darwin_17.x86_64.tbz2 from http://jog.id.packages.macports.org/macports/packages/libgcc11
---> Attempting to fetch libgcc11-11.3.0_1.darwin_17.x86_64.tbz2 from http://kmq.jp.packages.macports.org/libgcc11
---> Building libgcc11
Error: Failed to build libgcc11: command execution failed
Error: See /opt/local/var/macports/logs/_opt_local_var_macports_sources_rsync.macports.org_macports_release_tarballs_ports_lang_gcc11/libgcc11/main.log for details.
Error: Problem while installing libgcc11
Error: Follow https://guide.macports.org/#project.tickets if you believe there is a bug.

[haycorn] /Users/jam [511]% tail -n . . .

/opt/local/var/macports/build/_opt_local_var_macports_sources_rsync.macports.org_macports_release_tarballs_ports_lang_gcc11/libgcc11/work/gcc-11.3.0/gcc/gengtype.h:497:40: warning: token pasting of ',' and __VA_ARGS__ is a GNU extension [-Wgnu-zero-variadic-macro-arguments]
:info:build 1 warning and 2 errors generated.
:info:build make[3]: *** [build/genmodes.o] Error 1
:info:build 1 warning and 2 errors generated.
:info:build make[3]: *** [build/gengtype-lex.o] Error 1
:info:build /opt/local/var/macports/build/_opt_local_var_macports_sources_rsync.macports.org_macports_release_tarballs_ports_lang_gcc11/libgcc11/work/gcc-11.3.0/gcc/gengtype.h:497:40: warning: token pasting of ',' and __VA_ARGS__ is a GNU extension [-Wgnu-zero-variadic-macro-arguments]
[...]
:info:build 32 warnings and 2 errors generated.
:info:build make[3]: *** [build/gengtype.o] Error 1
:info:build rm gcc.pod
:info:build make[3]: Leaving directory `/opt/local/var/macports/build/_opt_local_var_macports_sources_rsync.macports.org_macports_release_tarballs_ports_lang_gcc11/libgcc11/work/build/gcc'
:info:build make[2]: *** [all-stage1-gcc] Error 2
:info:build make[2]: Leaving directory `/opt/local/var/macports/build/_opt_local_var_macports_sources_rsync.macports.org_macports_release_tarballs_ports_lang_gcc11/libgcc11/work/build'
:info:build make[1]: *** [stage1-bubble] Error 2
:info:build make[1]: Leaving directory `/opt/local/var/macports/build/_opt_local_var_macports_sources_rsync.macports.org_macports_release_tarballs_ports_lang_gcc11/libgcc11/work/build'
:info:build make: *** [bootstrap-lean] Error 2
:info:build make: Leaving directory `/opt/local/var/macports/build/_opt_local_var_macports_sources_rsync.macports.org_macports_release_tarballs_ports_lang_gcc11/libgcc11/work/build'
:info:build Command failed: cd "/opt/local/var/macports/build/_opt_local_var_macports_sources_rsync.macports.org_macports_release_tarballs_ports_lang_gcc11/libgcc11/work/build" && /usr/bin/make -j4 -w bootstrap-lean
:info:build Exit code: 2
:error:build Failed to build libgcc11: command execution failed
:debug:build Error code: CHILDSTATUS 74209 2
:debug:build Backtrace: command execution failed
:debug:build while executing
:debug:build "system {*}$notty {*}$callback {*}$nice $fullcmdstring"
:debug:build invoked from within
:debug:build "command_exec -callback portprogress::target_progress_callback build"
:debug:build (procedure "portbuild::build_main" line 8)
:debug:build invoked from within
:debug:build "$procedure $targetname"
:error:build See /opt/local/var/macports/logs/_opt_local_var_macports_sources_rsync.macports.org_macports_release_tarballs_ports_lang_gcc11/libgcc11/main.log for details.

I'm lost, even worse someone on the shared ip at my ISP has been running amuck and my macports forum has blacklisted me (well this shared ip)
James
Re: macosx [ In reply to ]
> On Apr 30, 2022, at 3:20 PM, James <jam@tigger.ws> wrote:
>
>> sudo port clean libgcc11
>> # Most folks run the following 2 commands on a regular basis (weekly, monthly)
>> sudo port selfupdate
>> sudo port upgrade outdated
>> sudo port install libjpeg-turbo
>
> [haycorn] /Users/jam [510]% sudo port upgrade outdated
> ---> Computing dependencies for libgcc11
> ---> Fetching archive for libgcc11
> ---> Attempting to fetch libgcc11-11.3.0_1.darwin_17.x86_64.tbz2 from http://packages.macports.org/libgcc11 <http://packages.macports.org/libgcc11>
> ---> Attempting to fetch libgcc11-11.3.0_1.darwin_17.x86_64.tbz2 from http://jog.id.packages.macports.org/macports/packages/libgcc11 <http://jog.id.packages.macports.org/macports/packages/libgcc11>
> ---> Attempting to fetch libgcc11-11.3.0_1.darwin_17.x86_64.tbz2 from http://kmq.jp.packages.macports.org/libgcc11 <http://kmq.jp.packages.macports.org/libgcc11>
> ---> Building libgcc11
> Error: Failed to build libgcc11: command execution failed
> Error: See /opt/local/var/macports/logs/_opt_local_var_macports_sources_rsync.macports.org_macports_release_tarballs_ports_lang_gcc11/libgcc11/main.log for details.
> Error: Problem while installing libgcc11
> Error: Follow https://guide.macports.org/#project.tickets <https://guide.macports.org/#project.tickets> if you believe there is a bug.

You didn’t say so I have to ask—did you do the 2 prior commands before the one you show above? Did they succeed?

It is NOT expected that you should have to build libgcc from source. However, I’ve dug into it and it appears the MacPorts machine that builds the binary installer for your OS version did not run or didn’t finish. (The set of jobs to build for the various supported OS versions ran for over 8 hours!) Hopefully, that should fix itself on the next update to libgcc11.

The log tail that you included doesn’t actually show the errors. Please put the full log on a pastebin somewhere and I’ll have a look at it.

Depending on your hardware, building libgcc11 is going to take a LONG time. I believe you need to have several GB of free disk space. Obviously, the more RAM the machine has, the faster the process will go. If I were you, I’d restart the machine before letting it run overnight on the build.

There is a chance we might be able to stick handle around the libgcc11 issue. Please check what version(s) you previously had installed with:

port installed libgcc11

Please let me know what the output is.

BTW, is it possible for you to update to a more recent OS version? I believe the reason you need libgcc11 is that some dependency requires more-modern compiler features than Xcode on High Sierra can deliver. Plus, High Sierra hasn’t received security updates for a long time.

Craig
Re: macosx [ In reply to ]
> On 1 May 2022, at 6:00 am, Craig Treleaven <ctreleaven@cogeco.ca> wrote:
>
>> On Apr 30, 2022, at 3:20 PM, James <jam@tigger.ws> wrote:
>>
>>> sudo port clean libgcc11
>>> # Most folks run the following 2 commands on a regular basis (weekly, monthly)
>>> sudo port selfupdate
>>> sudo port upgrade outdated
>>> sudo port install libjpeg-turbo
>>
>> [haycorn] /Users/jam [510]% sudo port upgrade outdated
>> ---> Computing dependencies for libgcc11
>> ---> Fetching archive for libgcc11
>> ---> Attempting to fetch libgcc11-11.3.0_1.darwin_17.x86_64.tbz2 from http://packages.macports.org/libgcc11
>> ---> Attempting to fetch libgcc11-11.3.0_1.darwin_17.x86_64.tbz2 from http://jog.id.packages.macports.org/macports/packages/libgcc11
>> ---> Attempting to fetch libgcc11-11.3.0_1.darwin_17.x86_64.tbz2 from http://kmq.jp.packages.macports.org/libgcc11
>> ---> Building libgcc11
>> Error: Failed to build libgcc11: command execution failed
>> Error: See /opt/local/var/macports/logs/_opt_local_var_macports_sources_rsync.macports.org_macports_release_tarballs_ports_lang_gcc11/libgcc11/main.log for details.
>> Error: Problem while installing libgcc11
>> Error: Follow https://guide.macports.org/#project.tickets if you believe there is a bug.
>>

> You didn’t say so I have to ask—did you do the 2 prior commands before the one you show above? Did they succeed?
>
> It is NOT expected that you should have to build libgcc from source. However, I’ve dug into it and it appears the MacPorts machine that builds the binary installer for your OS version did not run or didn’t finish. (The set of jobs to build for the various supported OS versions ran for over 8 hours!) Hopefully, that should fix itself on the next update to libgcc11.
>
> The log tail that you included doesn’t actually show the errors. Please put the full log on a pastebin somewhere and I’ll have a look at it.
>
> Depending on your hardware, building libgcc11 is going to take a LONG time. I believe you need to have several GB of free disk space. Obviously, the more RAM the machine has, the faster the process will go. If I were you, I’d restart the machine

> before letting it run overnight on the build.
>
> There is a chance we might be able to stick handle around the libgcc11 issue. Please check what version(s) you previously had installed with:
>
> port installed libgcc11
>
> Please let me know what the output is.
>
> BTW, is it possible for you to update to a more recent OS version? I believe the reason you need libgcc11 is that some dependency requires more-modern compiler features than Xcode on High Sierra can deliver. Plus, High Sierra hasn’t received security updates for a long time.

Craig thanks for the help!

I did do
sudo port selfupdate

The update bit worked fine. But thereafter chaos. I followed the wiki on migration but got trapped in

Error: we appear to be stuck, exiting...
infinite loop
while executing
"sort_ports $portList"
invoked from within
"set operationList [sort_ports $portList]"

so I'll do a new macports, then build mythtv, then install *my* ports

I've an iMac27 stuck on High Sierra. I put 2T of flash instead of HD. It's a 4 core i5 with 16G ram so it's actually quite a nice machine. It does not run linux well (gets HOT) but is a wonderful farm for my linux VMs
BUT mythtv is nicer native than in a vm.

Lots of work ahead, but the way is clear. The alternative is to just live with fixes/31
James
Re: macosx [ In reply to ]
> [...]
>
> Craig thanks for the help!
>
> I did do
> sudo port selfupdate
>
> The update bit worked fine. But thereafter chaos. I followed the wiki on migration but got trapped in
>
> Error: we appear to be stuck, exiting...
> infinite loop
> while executing
> "sort_ports $portList"
> invoked from within
> "set operationList [sort_ports $portList]"
>
> so I'll do a new macports, then build mythtv, then install *my* ports
>
> I've an iMac27 stuck on High Sierra. I put 2T of flash instead of HD. It's a 4 core i5 with 16G ram so it's actually quite a nice machine. It does not run linux well (gets HOT) but is a wonderful farm for my linux VMs
> BUT mythtv is nicer native than in a vm.
>
> Lots of work ahead, but the way is clear. The alternative is to just live with fixes/31

James, again you failed to fully answer my question. Did you do ’sudo port clean libgcc11’. This is important since we need to start a fresh build of the port. If you failed to do that command, the build system may be trying to pick up where it left off previously.

What “migration” did you do? I didn’t seen any indication that you were upgrading from one major OSX version to another? So the Macports migration procedure [1] would NOT apply here.

[1] https://trac.macports.org/wiki/Migration <https://trac.macports.org/wiki/Migration>

Craig
Re: macosx [ In reply to ]
> On 1 May 2022, at 5:47 pm, Craig Treleaven <ctreleaven@cogeco.ca> wrote:
>
> James, again you failed to fully answer my question. Did you do ’sudo port clean libgcc11’. This is important since we need to start a fresh build of the port. If you failed to do that command, the build system may be trying to pick up where it left off previously.
>
> What “migration” did you do? I didn’t seen any indication that you were upgrading from one major OSX version to another? So the Macports migration procedure [1] would NOT apply here.
>
> [1] https://trac.macports.org/wiki/Migration <https://trac.macports.org/wiki/Migration>
Sorry! yes I did sudo port clean libgcc11
I then re-installed which failed, overnight.
I then 'migrated' to the same OS! but cleaned all ports. The restore failed! (the infinite loop) so starting with a clean ports install I'll build (I used caffenate but a helper closed my laptop (after all the screen was blank (sic)) so I'm trying again.
James

PS my laptop - monterey is working fine on fixes/32 with John's sourceforge dmg's.
Re: macosx [ In reply to ]
> On 1 May 2022, at 8:12 pm, James <jam@tigger.ws> wrote:
>

>> On 1 May 2022, at 5:47 pm, Craig Treleaven <ctreleaven@cogeco.ca> wrote:
>>
>> James, again you failed to fully answer my question. Did you do ’sudo port clean libgcc11’. This is important since we need to start a fresh build of the port. If you failed to do that command, the build system may be trying to pick up where it left off previously.
>>
>> What “migration” did you do? I didn’t seen any indication that you were upgrading from one major OSX version to another? So the Macports migration procedure [1] would NOT apply here.
>>
>> [1] https://trac.macports.org/wiki/Migration
>
> Sorry! yes I did sudo port clean libgcc11
> I then re-installed which failed, overnight.
> I then 'migrated' to the same OS! but cleaned all ports. The restore failed! (the infinite loop) so starting with a clean ports install I'll build (I used caffenate but a helper closed my laptop (after all the screen was blank (sic)) so I'm trying again.
> James
>
> PS my laptop - monterey is working fine on fixes/32 with John's sourceforge dmg's.

Spirelling in to a black hole!

I had a frontend work yesteday ! but after macport fiddling it did not

[haycorn] /Users/jam [501]% /Applications/mythfrontend.app/Contents/MacOS/mythfrontend
dyld: Library not loaded: /opt/local/lib/libjpeg.9.dylib
Referenced from: /Applications/mythfrontend.app/Contents/Frameworks/QtWebKit.framework/Versions/5/QtWebKit
Reason: image not found
Abort trap: 6

I have only libjpeg.8.dylib !

James

Re: macosx [ In reply to ]
> On 2 May 2022, at 12:21 pm, James Linder <jam@tigger.ws> wrote:
>

>> On 1 May 2022, at 8:12 pm, James <jam@tigger.ws> wrote:
>>

>>> On 1 May 2022, at 5:47 pm, Craig Treleaven <ctreleaven@cogeco.ca> wrote:
>>>
>>> James, again you failed to fully answer my question. Did you do ’sudo port clean libgcc11’. This is important since we need to start a fresh build of the port. If you failed to do that command, the build system may be trying to pick up where it left off previously.
>>>
>>> What “migration” did you do? I didn’t seen any indication that you were upgrading from one major OSX version to another? So the Macports migration procedure [1] would NOT apply here.
>>>
>>> [1] https://trac.macports.org/wiki/Migration
>>
>> Sorry! yes I did sudo port clean libgcc11
>> I then re-installed which failed, overnight.
>> I then 'migrated' to the same OS! but cleaned all ports. The restore failed! (the infinite loop) so starting with a clean ports install I'll build (I used caffenate but a helper closed my laptop (after all the screen was blank (sic)) so I'm trying again.
>> James
>>
>> PS my laptop - monterey is working fine on fixes/32 with John's sourceforge dmg's.
>>

> Spirelling in to a black hole!
>
> I had a frontend work yesteday ! but after macport fiddling it did not
>
> [haycorn] /Users/jam [501]% /Applications/mythfrontend.app/Contents/MacOS/mythfrontend
> dyld: Library not loaded: /opt/local/lib/libjpeg.9.dylib
> Referenced from: /Applications/mythfrontend.app/Contents/Frameworks/QtWebKit.framework/Versions/5/QtWebKit
> Reason: image not found
> Abort trap: 6
>
> I have only libjpeg.8.dylib !

OK I completely blotted out macports and started from scratch doing this:

./compileMythfrontendAnsible.zsh --version=fixes/32 --generate-dmg=true

I've needed to install dozens of libs by hand eg libbluray libaom libzip liblame etc ect methought ansible did this ??

I've got to the point where Qt needs modules eg thread and dll but Icant find them - help

cd libmythservicecontracts/ && ( test -e Makefile || /opt/local/libexec/qt5/bin/qmake -o Makefile /Users/jam/mythtv-32/mythtv/mythtv/libs/libmythservicecontracts/libmythservicecontracts.pro QMAKE=/opt/local/libexec/qt5/bin/qmake ) && /Applications/Xcode.app/Contents/Developer/usr/bin/make -f Makefile
/opt/local/libexec/qt5/bin/qmake -o Makefile libmythservicecontracts.pro QMAKE=/opt/local/libexec/qt5/bin/qmake
Project ERROR: Unknown module(s) in QT: script
make[2]: *** [Makefile] Error 3
make[1]: *** [sub-libmythservicecontracts-make_first] Error 2
make: *** [libs] Error 2
Compiling Mythtv failed

Please can I guideance

James
Re: macosx [ In reply to ]

> I've needed to install dozens of libs by hand eg libbluray libaom libzip
> liblame etc ect methought ansible did this ??

ansible should have done this. I'd suggest running ansible alone and see
if it's throwing any errors. I'd also suggest running both the script and
ansible with python310

sudo port -N install py310-ansible
cd ~/mythtv-32/ansible
ansible-playbook-3.10
--extra-vars="ansible_python_interpreter=/opt/local/bin/python3.10
install_qtwebkit=true" qt5.yml --ask-become-pass
cd ~/mythtv-32
./compileMythfrontendAnsible.zsh --version=fixes/32 --generate-dmg=true
--python-version=310

BTW - there is an older prebuilt version for High Sierra posted here
https://sourceforge.net/projects/mythtvformacosx/files/v32/Archive/macOS%2010.13%20High%20Sierra/
Re: macosx [ In reply to ]
> On 2 May 2022, at 6:01 pm, John Hoyt <john.hoyt@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> I've needed to install dozens of libs by hand eg libbluray libaom libzip liblame etc ect methought ansible did this ??
>
> ansible should have done this. I'd suggest running ansible alone and see if it's throwing any errors. I'd also suggest running both the script and ansible with python310
>
> sudo port -N install py310-ansible
> cd ~/mythtv-32/ansible
> ansible-playbook-3.10 --extra-vars="ansible_python_interpreter=/opt/local/bin/python3.10 install_qtwebkit=true" qt5.yml --ask-become-pass
> cd ~/mythtv-32
> ./compileMythfrontendAnsible.zsh --version=fixes/32 --generate-dmg=true --python-version=310
>
> BTW - there is an older prebuilt version for High Sierra posted here https://sourceforge.net/projects/mythtvformacosx/files/v32/Archive/macOS%2010.13%20High%20Sierra/ <https://sourceforge.net/projects/mythtvformacosx/files/v32/Archive/macOS%2010.13%20High%20Sierra/>
Will try that now, thanks.

The problem with versions is my linux frontend and my monterery front end work perfectly (1376) whereas the high sierra version id 1371 [or 2 don't recall] so fix 1 or fix other or build :-)
James
Re: macosx [ In reply to ]
> On 2 May 2022, at 6:01 pm, John Hoyt <john.hoyt@gmail.com <mailto:john.hoyt@gmail.com>> wrote:
>
> I've needed to install dozens of libs by hand eg libbluray libaom libzip liblame etc ect methought ansible did this ??
>
> ansible should have done this. I'd suggest running ansible alone and see if it's throwing any errors. I'd also suggest running both the script and ansible with python310
>
> sudo port -N install py310-ansible
OK
> cd ~/mythtv-32/ansible
> ansible-playbook-3.10 --extra-vars="ansible_python_interpreter=/opt/local/bin/python3.10 install_qtwebkit=true" qt5.yml --ask-become-pass

What does this mean:

[WARNING]: No inventory was parsed, only implicit localhost is available
[WARNING]: provided hosts list is empty, only localhost is available. Note that the implicit localhost does not match 'all'
[DEPRECATION WARNING]: "include" is deprecated, use include_tasks/import_tasks instead. This feature will be removed in version 2.16.
Deprecation warnings can be disabled by setting deprecation_warnings=False in ansible.cfg.

No doubt the crux of the matter

PLAY RECAP ******************************************************************************************************************************
localhost : ok=1 changed=0 unreachable=0 failed=0 skipped=155 rescued=0 ignored=0

> cd ~/mythtv-32
> ./compileMythfrontendAnsible.zsh --version=fixes/32 --generate-dmg=true --python-version=310
>
> BTW - there is an older prebuilt version for High Sierra posted here https://sourceforge.net/projects/mythtvformacosx/files/v32/Archive/macOS%2010.13%20High%20Sierra/ <https://sourceforge.net/projects/mythtvformacosx/files/v32/Archive/macOS%2010.13%20High%20Sierra/>

In case of questions
[haycorn] /Users/jam/mythtv-32/ansible [501]% hostname
haycorn.home
James
Re: macosx [ In reply to ]
On 5/2/22 07:00, James wrote:
> What does this mean:
>
> [WARNING]: No inventory was parsed, only implicit localhost is available
> [WARNING]: provided hosts list is empty, only localhost is available. Note that the implicit localhost does not match 'all'
> [DEPRECATION WARNING]: "include" is deprecated, use include_tasks/import_tasks instead. This feature will be removed in version 2.16.
> Deprecation warnings can be disabled by setting deprecation_warnings=False in ansible.cfg.

The 1st two [WARNING]s can be avoided by including an inventory file, e.g. -i hosts
on the command line.

The [DEPRECATION WARNING] will become important in ansible v2.16 when 'include' is
removed. include_tasks/import_tasks become available in ansible version 2.4, so
the MythTV playbook used here hasn't been changed to that yes because there are
still distributions running on earlier versions of ansible.

All three should be harmless, currently.

--
Bill
Re: macosx [ In reply to ]
> On 2 May 2022, at 8:00 pm, James <jam@tigger.ws> wrote:
>

>> On 2 May 2022, at 6:01 pm, John Hoyt <john.hoyt@gmail.com <mailto:john.hoyt@gmail.com>> wrote:
>>
>> I've needed to install dozens of libs by hand eg libbluray libaom libzip liblame etc ect methought ansible did this ??
>>
>> ansible should have done this. I'd suggest running ansible alone and see if it's throwing any errors. I'd also suggest running both the script and ansible with python310
>>
>> sudo port -N install py310-ansible
> OK
>> cd ~/mythtv-32/ansible
>> ansible-playbook-3.10 --extra-vars="ansible_python_interpreter=/opt/local/bin/python3.10 install_qtwebkit=true" qt5.yml --ask-become-pass
>
> What does this mean:
>
> [WARNING]: No inventory was parsed, only implicit localhost is available
> [WARNING]: provided hosts list is empty, only localhost is available. Note that the implicit localhost does not match 'all'
> [DEPRECATION WARNING]: "include" is deprecated, use include_tasks/import_tasks instead. This feature will be removed in version 2.16.
> Deprecation warnings can be disabled by setting deprecation_warnings=False in ansible.cfg.
>
> No doubt the crux of the matter
>
> PLAY RECAP ******************************************************************************************************************************
> localhost : ok=1 changed=0 unreachable=0 failed=0 skipped=155 rescued=0 ignored=0
>

>> cd ~/mythtv-32
>> ./compileMythfrontendAnsible.zsh --version=fixes/32 --generate-dmg=true --python-version=310
>>
>> BTW - there is an older prebuilt version for High Sierra posted here https://sourceforge.net/projects/mythtvformacosx/files/v32/Archive/macOS%2010.13%20High%20Sierra/ <https://sourceforge.net/projects/mythtvformacosx/files/v32/Archive/macOS%2010.13%20High%20Sierra/>
>
> In case of questions
> [haycorn] /Users/jam/mythtv-32/ansible [501]% hostname
> haycorn.home

Bill ta, what would the inventry file say? For me it seems ansible gets nothing and the skipped=155 seems to say EVERY download requested was skipped.

I'll spelunk my linux source.

Cheers
James
Re: macosx [ In reply to ]
On 5/2/22 17:12, James wrote:

>> On 2 May 2022, at 8:00 pm, James <jam@tigger.ws <mailto:jam@tigger.ws>> wrote:
>>

>>> On 2 May 2022, at 6:01 pm, John Hoyt <john.hoyt@gmail.com <mailto:john.hoyt@gmail.com>> wrote:
>>>
>>> I've needed to install dozens of libs by hand eg libbluray libaom libzip liblame etc ect methought ansible did this ??
>>>

>>> ansible should have done this.  I'd suggest running ansible alone and see if it's throwing any errors.  I'd also suggest running both the
>>> script and ansible with python310
>>>
>>> sudo port -N install py310-ansible
>> OK
>>> cd ~/mythtv-32/ansible
>>> ansible-playbook-3.10 --extra-vars="ansible_python_interpreter=/opt/local/bin/python3.10 install_qtwebkit=true"  qt5.yml --ask-become-pass
>>
>> What does this mean:
>>
>> [WARNING]: No inventory was parsed, only implicit localhost is available
>> [WARNING]: provided hosts list is empty, only localhost is available. Note that the implicit localhost does not match 'all'
>> [DEPRECATION WARNING]: "include" is deprecated, use include_tasks/import_tasks instead. This feature will be removed in version 2.16.
>> Deprecation warnings can be disabled by setting deprecation_warnings=False in ansible.cfg.
>>
>> No doubt the crux of the matter
>>
>> PLAY RECAP ******************************************************************************************************************************
>> localhost                  : ok=1    changed=0    unreachable=0    failed=0    skipped=155  rescued=0    ignored=0
>>

>>> cd ~/mythtv-32
>>> ./compileMythfrontendAnsible.zsh --version=fixes/32 --generate-dmg=true --python-version=310
>>>
>>> BTW - there is an older prebuilt version for High Sierra posted here
>>> https://sourceforge.net/projects/mythtvformacosx/files/v32/Archive/macOS%2010.13%20High%20Sierra/
>>> <https://sourceforge.net/projects/mythtvformacosx/files/v32/Archive/macOS%2010.13%20High%20Sierra/>
>>
>> In case of questions
>> [haycorn] /Users/jam/mythtv-32/ansible [501]% hostname
>> haycorn.home
>
> Bill ta, what would the inventry file say? For me it seems ansible gets nothing and the skipped=155 seems to say EVERY download requested was
> skipped.

There should be a hosts file that comes with the MythTV ansible. It should contain
three lines:
localhost ansible_connection=local

[buildslaves]

The -i hosts (short for --inventory hosts) then uses that file. If it works and John agrees,
I can add it to the command lines in the README.md for MacOSX. I don't have a Mac (I did have
an Apple ][.). Or, maybe we need a custom inventory for MacOSX.

--
Bill