I have recently been getting recordings of my shows from the cable box (Cox
Phoenix/HDPVR) filled with a message: "Your HD programming is still
available, tune to corresponding three digit channel For example 1007 = 7,
1068 = 69".

So it looks like they have changed the way you dial a channel. I'm going to
call them tmw to find out what has changed.

But once I know that, then what do I do to get it dialing the right channel
numbers? Does SchedulesDirect have to provide a new lineup, or....
Re: Cable company changes channel numbers? [ In reply to ]
On Mon, Apr 18, 2022 at 3:36 AM DryHeat122 <dryheat122@gmail.com> wrote:

> But once I know that, then what do I do to get it dialing the right channel numbers? Does SchedulesDirect have to provide a new lineup, or....

Well, yes, and no. ScheduleDirect gets the
channel numbers from the provider (well,
SchedulesDirect's upstream, Gracenote
gets the data from the provider, which goes
downstream to SchedulesDirect). *Some*
providers provide the updated channels
proactively (they care (at least a bit) about
their customers. *Some* do not (although
when a SchedulesDirect/Gracenote ticket
gets created it gets fixed, eventually).

If the provider is not proactive, you will
need to open a lineup ticket with
SchedulesDirect (which turns into a
ticket at Gracenote) to get the channel
numbers updated. Typically your
provider will include the changes on your
bill in the additional information section
(the part most never read (FD: I read
those sections)), and you should review
that part of your past bills to add info
to the lineup ticket to get everything
updated.

mythfilldatabase, with certain options,
may attempt to add new channels.
Sometimes that works ok, and sometimes
not so much.

There is also a 3rd party utility documented
on the MythTV wiki that can be used with
the premier xmltv grabber for the json
SchedulesDirect feed that can (attempt)
to automatically correct the
channel/xmltvid/name values when
Gracenote/SchedulesDirect gets the
new data. I regularly (about once every
other month) use that 3rd party utility to
check and re-sync my ScheduleDirect
lineup with my MythTV configuration.
Highly recommended.
Re: Cable company changes channel numbers? [ In reply to ]
On Sun, Apr 17, 2022 at 8:56 PM Gary Buhrmaster <gary.buhrmaster@gmail.com>
wrote:

> On Mon, Apr 18, 2022 at 3:36 AM DryHeat122 <dryheat122@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > But once I know that, then what do I do to get it dialing the right
> channel numbers? Does SchedulesDirect have to provide a new lineup, or....
>
> Well, yes, and no. ScheduleDirect gets the
> channel numbers from the provider (well,
> SchedulesDirect's upstream, Gracenote
> gets the data from the provider, which goes
> downstream to SchedulesDirect). *Some*
> providers provide the updated channels
> proactively (they care (at least a bit) about
> their customers. *Some* do not (although
> when a SchedulesDirect/Gracenote ticket
> gets created it gets fixed, eventually).
>
> If the provider is not proactive, you will
> need to open a lineup ticket with
> SchedulesDirect (which turns into a
> ticket at Gracenote) to get the channel
> numbers updated. Typically your
> provider will include the changes on your
> bill in the additional information section
> (the part most never read (FD: I read
> those sections)), and you should review
> that part of your past bills to add info
> to the lineup ticket to get everything
> updated.
>
> mythfilldatabase, with certain options,
> may attempt to add new channels.
> Sometimes that works ok, and sometimes
> not so much.
>
> There is also a 3rd party utility documented
> on the MythTV wiki that can be used with
> the premier xmltv grabber for the json
> SchedulesDirect feed that can (attempt)
> to automatically correct the
> channel/xmltvid/name values when
> Gracenote/SchedulesDirect gets the
> new data. I regularly (about once every
> other month) use that 3rd party utility to
> check and re-sync my ScheduleDirect
> lineup with my MythTV configuration.
> Highly recommended.
>
> Which is the 3rd party utility you refer to? I have checked with
SchedulesDirect and they have the right channel numbers (maybe have had for
a while). I'm not sure what the problem is, then, because shouldn't the
scheduler start using the new channel numbers it gets from DirectTV? Or is
the problem that my recording rules specify the old channel numbers? If
that is the problem, is there a way to automatically fix those, or do I
need to delete and re-create the recording rules?
Re: Cable company changes channel numbers? [ In reply to ]

https://github.com/garybuhrmaster/MythUtil

> SchedulesDirect and they have the right channel numbers (maybe have had for
> a while). I'm not sure what the problem is, then, because shouldn't the
> scheduler start using the new channel numbers it gets from DirectTV? Or is
> the problem that my recording rules specify the old channel numbers? If
> that is the problem, is there a way to automatically fix those, or do I
> need to delete and re-create the recording rules?

MythTV doesn't autmatically add/delete/move channels. There are plans
to improve things some day but developers and round tuits are in short
supply. Until things improve, there is the aforementioned MythUtil
and the --do-channel-updates and --only-update-channels that can be
used with mythfilldatabase. If you use tv_grab_zz_sdjson_sqlite,
MythUtil is by far the better choice.

David
--
David Engel
david@istwok.net
Re: Cable company changes channel numbers? [ In reply to ]
On Fri, Apr 22, 2022 at 6:12 PM David Engel <david@istwok.net> wrote:

> On Fri, Apr 22, 2022 at 04:25:45PM -0700, DryHeat122 wrote:
> > On Sun, Apr 17, 2022 at 8:56 PM Gary Buhrmaster <
> gary.buhrmaster@gmail.com>
> > wrote:

> > > channel numbers? Does SchedulesDirect have to provide a new lineup,
> or....
> > >
> > > Well, yes, and no. ScheduleDirect gets the
> > > channel numbers from the provider (well,
> > > SchedulesDirect's upstream, Gracenote
> > > gets the data from the provider, which goes
> > > downstream to SchedulesDirect). *Some*
> > > providers provide the updated channels
> > > proactively (they care (at least a bit) about
> > > their customers. *Some* do not (although
> > > when a SchedulesDirect/Gracenote ticket
> > > gets created it gets fixed, eventually).
> > >
> > > If the provider is not proactive, you will
> > > need to open a lineup ticket with
> > > SchedulesDirect (which turns into a
> > > ticket at Gracenote) to get the channel
> > > numbers updated. Typically your
> > > provider will include the changes on your
> > > bill in the additional information section
> > > (the part most never read (FD: I read
> > > those sections)), and you should review
> > > that part of your past bills to add info
> > > to the lineup ticket to get everything
> > > updated.
> > >
> > > mythfilldatabase, with certain options,
> > > may attempt to add new channels.
> > > Sometimes that works ok, and sometimes
> > > not so much.
> > >
> > > There is also a 3rd party utility documented
> > > on the MythTV wiki that can be used with
> > > the premier xmltv grabber for the json
> > > SchedulesDirect feed that can (attempt)
> > > to automatically correct the
> > > channel/xmltvid/name values when
> > > Gracenote/SchedulesDirect gets the
> > > new data. I regularly (about once every
> > > other month) use that 3rd party utility to
> > > check and re-sync my ScheduleDirect
> > > lineup with my MythTV configuration.
> > > Highly recommended.
> > >
> > > Which is the 3rd party utility you refer to? I have checked with
>
> https://github.com/garybuhrmaster/MythUtil
>
> > SchedulesDirect and they have the right channel numbers (maybe have had
> for
> > a while). I'm not sure what the problem is, then, because shouldn't the
> > scheduler start using the new channel numbers it gets from DirectTV? Or
> is
> > the problem that my recording rules specify the old channel numbers? If
> > that is the problem, is there a way to automatically fix those, or do I
> > need to delete and re-create the recording rules?
>
> MythTV doesn't autmatically add/delete/move channels. There are plans
> to improve things some day but developers and round tuits are in short
> supply. Until things improve, there is the aforementioned MythUtil
> and the --do-channel-updates and --only-update-channels that can be
> used with mythfilldatabase. If you use tv_grab_zz_sdjson_sqlite,
> MythUtil is by far the better choice.
>
> David
> --
> David Engel
> david@istwok.net

So in an effort to clear out all the old channels and start over, I decided
to re-configure the xmltv grabber. I went through the steps on the wiki,
and when I went to run mythfilldatabase when I got to the channels for
every one it I got an error "unknown xmltv channel identifier: Ixxxxx.json,
schedulesdirect.org - skipping channel." What causes that?

I also am not sure I used the correct config file names in re-running the
configuration because of two confusing file-namings in the wiki. First, it
says to run

tv_grab_xx_xxxxxx --configure --config-file $HOME/.mythtv/YYYY.xmltv

replacing YYYY with the video source name. But I have two video sources, a
hdpvr and a hdhr. Does that mean I have to do this procedure twice, once
for each video source?

Second, later under Setup with tv_grab_zz_sdjson_sqlite it recommends
config file name: --config-file $HOME/.mythtv/SD.xmltv Is that a different
filename from $HOME/.mythtv/YYYY.xmltv? If so, and if I have to run the
procedure for each source, do both sources use $HOME/.mythtv/SD.xmltv for
as the second config file for it too?

Finally, if I start over on this should I go in and delete any existing
$HOME/.mythtv/*.xmltv files, or can I just leave them alone?

Thanks....

Steve
Re: Cable company changes channel numbers? [ In reply to ]
On 4/22/22 20:54, DryHeat122 wrote:

> [...]
> First, it says to run
>
> tv_grab_xx_xxxxxx --configure --config-file $HOME/.mythtv/YYYY.xmltv
>
> replacing YYYY with the video source name. But I have two video sources, a hdpvr and a hdhr.  Does that mean I have to do this procedure twice,
> once for each video source?
>
> Second, later under Setup with tv_grab_zz_sdjson_sqlite it recommends config file name: --config-file $HOME/.mythtv/SD.xmltv  Is that a
> different filename from  $HOME/.mythtv/YYYY.xmltv?  If so, and if I have to run the procedure for each source, do both sources use
> $HOME/.mythtv/SD.xmltv for as the second config file for it too?
>
> Finally, if I start over on this should I go in and delete any existing $HOME/.mythtv/*.xmltv files, or can I just leave them alone?

Maybe this will help:

The idea is to run tv_grab_zz_sdjson_sqlite as user mythtv (assuming that's the user
that the backend runs as). Then the additional files will look similar to this:

https://forum.mythtv.org/viewtopic.php?f=36&t=3480&start=15#p19508

You'll see there that two .xmltv files were created, but both use the same sqlite DB.

--
Bill
Re: Cable company changes channel numbers? [ In reply to ]
On Fri, Apr 22, 2022 at 7:06 PM Bill Meek <keemllib@gmail.com> wrote:

> Maybe this will help:
>
> The idea is to run tv_grab_zz_sdjson_sqlite as user mythtv (assuming
> that's the user
> that the backend runs as). Then the additional files will look similar to
> this:
>
> https://forum.mythtv.org/viewtopic.php?f=36&t=3480&start=15#p19508
>
> You'll see there that two .xmltv files were created, but both use the same
> sqlite DB.
>
> --
> Bill

OK that link helps. I was not running the config under mythtv user, so
there is one problem.

I'm still unclear whether the config-file name in the command in the wiki
under heading "Run the configuration"

tv_grab_xx_xxxxxx --configure --config-file $HOME/.mythtv/YYYY.xmltv

should be the same as the config-file name under heading "Setup with
tv_grab_zz_sdjson_sqlite"

tv_grab_zz_sdjson_sqlite --manage-lineups --config-file
$HOME/.mythtv/SD.xmltv

I ask this because the wiki says "The value YYYY in the configuration file
name corresponds to the Video Source Name", but then the later command
suggests using SD.xmltv. This could mean they are supposed to be separate
files.

So in other words, if my source is hdpvr should the first command be

v_grab_zz_sdjson_sqlite --configure --config-file
$HOME/.mythtv/hdpvr.xmltv

or

v_grab_zz_sdjson_sqlite --configure --config-file
$HOME/.mythtv/SD.xmltv

? If the former, then do I also need to run the first command again as

v_grab_zz_sdjson_sqlite --configure --config-file
$HOME/.mythtv/ota.xmltv

(ota is my second source) and go through the later config steps for that
too?
Re: Cable company changes channel numbers? [ In reply to ]
On 4/23/22 11:20 AM, DryHeat122 wrote:
> On Fri, Apr 22, 2022 at 7:06 PM Bill Meek <keemllib@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> Maybe this will help:
>
> The idea is to run tv_grab_zz_sdjson_sqlite as user mythtv
> (assuming that's the user
> that the backend runs as). Then the additional files will look
> similar to this:
>
> https://forum.mythtv.org/viewtopic.php?f=36&t=3480&start=15#p19508
> <https://forum.mythtv.org/viewtopic.php?f=36&t=3480&start=15#p19508>
>
> You'll see there that two .xmltv files were created, but both use
> the same sqlite DB.
>
> --
> Bill
>

> OK that link helps. I was not running the config under mythtv user, so
> there is one problem.
>
> I'm still unclear whether the config-file name in the command in the
> wiki under heading "Run the configuration"
>
>      tv_grab_xx_xxxxxx --configure --config-file $HOME/.mythtv/YYYY.xmltv
>
> should be the same as the config-file name under heading "Setup with
> tv_grab_zz_sdjson_sqlite"
>
>      tv_grab_zz_sdjson_sqlite --manage-lineups --config-file
> $HOME/.mythtv/SD.xmltv
>
> I ask this because the wiki says "The value YYYY in the configuration
> file name corresponds to the Video Source Name", but then the later
> command suggests using SD.xmltv. This could mean they are supposed to
> be separate files.
>
> So in other words, if my source is hdpvr should the first command be
>
>      v_grab_zz_sdjson_sqlite --configure  --config-file
> $HOME/.mythtv/hdpvr.xmltv
>
> or
>
>      v_grab_zz_sdjson_sqlite --configure  --config-file
> $HOME/.mythtv/SD.xmltv
>
> ? If the former, then do I also need to run the first command again as
>
>      v_grab_zz_sdjson_sqlite --configure --config-file
> $HOME/.mythtv/ota.xmltv
>
> (ota is my second source) and go through the later config steps for
> that too?

When you added the first source it also gives you the option to add
another source..Instead of Sd.xmlt you could name it OT.xmlt. Then add
the channels as you did on SD.xmld.
Re: Cable company changes channel numbers? [ In reply to ]
I went through the whole process. I re-ran mythfilldatabase, it seemed to
be getting new data. I restarted the backend. I then started the frontend
and looked at the program guide. It's exactly the same as it was, including
the 10XX channel numbers, which should not be present in the db anymore.
Where is it even getting them? Also I don't see anywhere in setup where I
specify the DB or .xmltv file a source is supposed to use.

Re: Cable company changes channel numbers? [ In reply to ]
On 4/24/22 6:00 PM, DryHeat122 wrote:
> I went through the whole process. I re-ran mythfilldatabase, it seemed
> to be getting new data.  I restarted the backend. I then started the
> frontend and looked at the program guide. It's exactly the same as it
> was, including the 10XX channel numbers, which should not be present
> in the db anymore.  Where is it even getting them?  Also I don't see
> anywhere in setup where I specify the DB or .xmltv file a source is
> supposed to use.
>
> On Sat, Apr 23, 2022 at 9:21 AM Greg <gregL@nycap.rr.com> wrote:
>

> On 4/23/22 11:20 AM, DryHeat122 wrote:
>> On Fri, Apr 22, 2022 at 7:06 PM Bill Meek <keemllib@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> Maybe this will help:
>>
>> The idea is to run tv_grab_zz_sdjson_sqlite as user mythtv
>> (assuming that's the user
>> that the backend runs as). Then the additional files will
>> look similar to this:
>>
>> https://forum.mythtv.org/viewtopic.php?f=36&t=3480&start=15#p19508
>> <https://forum.mythtv.org/viewtopic.php?f=36&t=3480&start=15#p19508>
>>
>> You'll see there that two .xmltv files were created, but both
>> use the same sqlite DB.
>>
>> --
>> Bill
>>

>> OK that link helps. I was not running the config under mythtv
>> user, so there is one problem.
>>
>> I'm still unclear whether the config-file name in the command in
>> the wiki under heading "Run the configuration"
>>
>>      tv_grab_xx_xxxxxx --configure --config-file
>> $HOME/.mythtv/YYYY.xmltv
>>
>> should be the same as the config-file name under heading "Setup
>> with tv_grab_zz_sdjson_sqlite"
>>
>>      tv_grab_zz_sdjson_sqlite --manage-lineups --config-file
>> $HOME/.mythtv/SD.xmltv
>>
>> I ask this because the wiki says "The value YYYY in the
>> configuration file name corresponds to the Video Source Name",
>> but then the later command suggests using SD.xmltv. This could
>> mean they are supposed to be separate files.
>>
>> So in other words, if my source is hdpvr should the first command be
>>
>>      v_grab_zz_sdjson_sqlite --configure --config-file
>> $HOME/.mythtv/hdpvr.xmltv
>>
>> or
>>
>>      v_grab_zz_sdjson_sqlite --configure --config-file
>> $HOME/.mythtv/SD.xmltv
>>
>> ? If the former, then do I also need to run the first command
>> again as
>>
>>      v_grab_zz_sdjson_sqlite --configure --config-file
>> $HOME/.mythtv/ota.xmltv
>>
>> (ota is my second source) and go through the later config steps
>> for that too?

> When you added the first source it also gives you the option to
> add another source..Instead of Sd.xmlt you could name it OT.xmlt.
> Then add the channels as you did on SD.xmld.
>
> I will assume you made a new OT.xml.

If you did you need too run mythtv-setup.

Then go to Configure your video sources. Then Add new video sources.
When that is done goto Connect your card to inputs. Look for sources
that is where you put your new OT.xml..

I also have quite a few unwanted channels. I get rid of them either in
the channel editor or Mythweb..

Hope this helps..
Re: Cable company changes channel numbers? [ In reply to ]
On 24/04/2022 23:00, DryHeat122 wrote:
> I went through the whole process. I re-ran mythfilldatabase, it seemed to
> be getting new data. I restarted the backend. I then started the frontend
> and looked at the program guide. It's exactly the same as it was, including
> the 10XX channel numbers, which should not be present in the db anymore.
> Where is it even getting them? Also I don't see anywhere in setup where I
> specify the DB or .xmltv file a source is supposed to use.

When you create a data source, the name you give it will become the name of the xmltv file which is
used. ie <sourcename> in setup becomes /home/mythtv/.mythtv/<sourcename>.xmltv. You connect that
source to the tuner(s) which are able to receive those channels.

Thus, for each source you have, there will be a separate .xmltv file with info related to the
channels that source can receive. Which makes sense, each different source will have different
tuning characteristics, frequencies and channel numbering - and, possibly, different methods of
obtaining schedule information.

<sourcename> is *not* provided by mythtv. You have to define them when you create a new source. If
you see names in wiki entries, etc, they are names chosen by the writers of that information and
refer to their own systems, not yours.

Mythfilldatabase (mfdb) will run once, reading every .xmltv file in the .mythtv directory in turn.
Note that the backend /should/ be running while the database is being updated as mfdb will call the
backend as it finishes. If the backend is not running, there will usually be a warning message at
the end of the mfdb log file.

Note that in recent releases, the 'old' channel information is not deleted when you create a new
source, as this may destroy links to old recorded programs which still exist in the system. However,
those channels should not appear in the channel listings any more.

--

Mike Perkins

Re: Cable company changes channel numbers? [ In reply to ]
On Mon, Apr 25, 2022 at 1:58 AM Mike Perkins <mikep@randomtraveller.org.uk>
wrote:

> On 24/04/2022 23:00, DryHeat122 wrote:
> > I went through the whole process. I re-ran mythfilldatabase, it seemed to
> > be getting new data. I restarted the backend. I then started the
> frontend
> > and looked at the program guide. It's exactly the same as it was,
> including
> > the 10XX channel numbers, which should not be present in the db anymore.
> > Where is it even getting them? Also I don't see anywhere in setup where
> > specify the DB or .xmltv file a source is supposed to use.
> >
> When you create a data source, the name you give it will become the name
> of the xmltv file which is
> used. ie <sourcename> in setup becomes
> /home/mythtv/.mythtv/<sourcename>.xmltv. You connect that
> source to the tuner(s) which are able to receive those channels.
>
> Thus, for each source you have, there will be a separate .xmltv file with
> info related to the
> channels that source can receive. Which makes sense, each different source
> will have different
> tuning characteristics, frequencies and channel numbering - and, possibly,
> different methods of
> obtaining schedule information.
>
> <sourcename> is *not* provided by mythtv. You have to define them when you
> create a new source. If
> you see names in wiki entries, etc, they are names chosen by the writers
> of that information and
> refer to their own systems, not yours.
>
> Mythfilldatabase (mfdb) will run once, reading every .xmltv file in the
> .mythtv directory in turn.
> Note that the backend /should/ be running while the database is being
> updated as mfdb will call the
> backend as it finishes. If the backend is not running, there will usually
> be a warning message at
> the end of the mfdb log file.
>
> Note that in recent releases, the 'old' channel information is not deleted
> when you create a new
> source, as this may destroy links to old recorded programs which still
> exist in the system. However,
> those channels should not appear in the channel listings any more.
>
> Here is what I've got in relevant directories:
/home/mythtv/.xmltv
-rw-r--r-- 1 mythtv mythtv 2273280 Apr 24 08:57 SchedulesDirect.DB
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 169 Apr 22 17:38
SchedulesDirect-hdpvr.DB
-rw-r--r-- 1 mythtv mythtv 16003072 Apr 23 22:17
SchedulesDirect-sd-ota.DB
-rw-r--r-- 1 mythtv mythtv 98304 Jul 27 2020
SchedulesDirect-sd-otr.DB

/home/mythtv/.mythtv
drwxr-xr-x 2 mythtv mythtv 4096 Jul 26 2020 3rdParty
drwxr-xr-x 6 mythtv mythtv 4096 Jul 27 2020 cache
drwxr-xr-x 2 mythtv mythtv 24576 Apr 19 18:58 channels
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 22 Jul 26 2020 config.xml ->
/etc/mythtv/config.xml
-rw-rw-r-- 1 mythtv mythtv 148 Jul 27 2020 hdpvr.xmltv
-rw-rw-r-- 1 mythtv mythtv 48 Apr 23 17:22 hdpvr.xmltv.TMP
-rw-rw-r-- 1 mythtv mythtv 163 Apr 23 17:28 SchedulesDirect.xmltv
-rw-rw-r-- 1 mythtv mythtv 170 Jul 27 2020 sd-ota.xmltv
-rw-rw-r-- 1 mythtv mythtv 48 Apr 23 17:22 sd-ota.xmltv.TMP
drwxr-xr-x 2 mythtv mythtv 4096 Jul 26 2020 themes
drwxr-xr-x 4 mythtv mythtv 4096 Jul 26 2020 tmp

The ones dated 2020 are from the last time I set this up. It looks like,
per your post, the .xmltv files I generated over the weekend did not
overwrite the old ones, but were assigned to .TMP extensions.

Do I need all those DB files under ../.xmltv? What else do I need to do to
straighten this out, hopefully without wiping out existing recordings?
Re: Cable company changes channel numbers? [ In reply to ]
On Fri, Apr 22, 2022, 6:12 PM David Engel <david@istwok.net> wrote:

> MythTV doesn't autmatically add/delete/move channels. There are plans
> to improve things some day but developers and round tuits are in short
> supply. Until things improve, there is the aforementioned MythUtil
> and the --do-channel-updates and --only-update-channels that can be
> used with mythfilldatabase. If you use tv_grab_zz_sdjson_sqlite,
> MythUtil is by far the better choice.
>
> David
> --
> David Engel
> david@istwok.net

(Sorry for the gaps in following up on this. I generally only have time to
work on it on the weekends.)

I tried mythfilldatabase --do-channel-updates. It did not fix my problem.

I also looked at https://github.com/garybuhrmaster/MythUtil. The scripts
aren't documented so I'm not 100% sure what they do.
One, MythUtil-Channel-XMLTV-getLineup, looks like it could do something I
want. But I don't know if this is a standalone script or a new option for
mythutil that isn't yet documented in --help. If the latter, do I call it
via mythutil --Channel-XMLTV-getLineup?

Assuming that doesn't work I'm stuck. Should I delete everything from the
../.mythtv and ../.xmltv directories and try setup again? My system is
*useless* as it is.
Re: Cable company changes channel numbers? [ In reply to ]
On Sat, Apr 30, 2022 at 2:52 AM DryHeat122 <dryheat122@gmail.com> wrote:

> I also looked at https://github.com/garybuhrmaster/MythUtil. The scripts aren't documented so I'm not 100% sure what they do. One, MythUtil-Channel-XMLTV-getLineup, looks like it could do something I want. But I don't know if this is a standalone script or a new option for mythutil that isn't yet documented in --help. If the latter, do I call it via mythutil --Channel-XMLTV-getLineup?

Did you read (and comprehend) that entire wiki article, including how
to obtain the scripts (which include a documentation directory), the
example for that script, and the options to the script (such as
"--add", "--delete", and "--update")?

You are, of course, encouraged to improve the words in the wiki if
you find they are too confusing to you.
Re: Cable company changes channel numbers? [ In reply to ]
On Sat, Apr 30, 2022 at 6:32 AM Gary Buhrmaster <gary.buhrmaster@gmail.com>
wrote:

> On Sat, Apr 30, 2022 at 2:52 AM DryHeat122 <dryheat122@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > I also looked at https://github.com/garybuhrmaster/MythUtil. The
> scripts aren't documented so I'm not 100% sure what they do. One,
> MythUtil-Channel-XMLTV-getLineup, looks like it could do something I want.
> But I don't know if this is a standalone script or a new option for
> mythutil that isn't yet documented in --help. If the latter, do I call it
> via mythutil --Channel-XMLTV-getLineup?
>
> Did you read (and comprehend) that entire wiki article, including how
> to obtain the scripts (which include a documentation directory), the
> example for that script, and the options to the script (such as
> "--add", "--delete", and "--update")?
>
> You are, of course, encouraged to improve the words in the wiki if
> you find they are too confusing to you.

Oops, sorry! Not sure how I failed to see the "docs" directory. Most git
repositories I use have the docs in the readme, which I guess is what made
me think there were no docs.

Anyway your script did the trick, and my channels are fixed. Thanks for
providing it. I was looking at the code. It must have been non-trivial to
develop.
Re: Cable company changes channel numbers? [ In reply to ]
On Sun, May 1, 2022 at 12:20 AM DryHeat122 <dryheat122@gmail.com> wrote:

> Anyway your script did the trick, and my channels are fixed.

Good to hear it was helpful. Depending on your
cable company (and what level of service you have),
you may need to pay attention to your bill and
watch for when they change channels that matter
to you (typically every month or so *something*
changes, but it may be channels you do not
subscribe to), and run the script(s) again to keep
things aligned with your cable companies lineup.

Note that Schedules Direct upstream (Gracenote),
tends not to update their lineup (and guide data)
until after the date of the scheduled changes noted
in the bill (and sometimes not even then if the
provider does not let Gracenote know), so do not
be surprised if you sometimes have to open a
case with Schedules Direct to get channels
updated/added/corrected.

Eventually, the MythTV developers hope to
improve the entire MythTV integrated processes
for lineups, but, as usual, spare time tends to be
lacking. If you are interested in helping out, I am
sure they would consider PR's to improve things.

> I was looking at the code. It must have been non-trivial to develop.

I had an itch. It needed scratching. The script
has issues with certain types of changes (and
the services API limit some capabilities), and I
have a list of improvements I would like to
implement, but it mostly works good enough for
the moment.