Android mythfrontend will not connect to the database on a separate
backend. Installed on amazon firestick 4k.
Kodi, with the mythtv plugin works fine. Leanfront also works fine. But
for some reason mythfronted will not connect.
Error message is that it cant connect to database.
I noticed passwords were different, and tried both of them.

diff ~mythtv/.mythtv/config.xml ~/.mythtv/config.xml
1a2
> <LocalHostName>my-unique-identifier-goes-here</LocalHostName>
6c7
< <Password>pXJn0wim</Password>
---
> <Password>XF2Xr402</Password>
16d16
< <LocalHostName></LocalHostName>

Not sure if that is an issue anyway as everything works except mythfrontend.
All the settings are identical between the 3 apps on the same device.
I am using mythfrontend-20210819-arm-v31.0-163-g5da2523154-dirty.apk
Where should I start troubleshooting? I don't think I need to work on the
backend settings as all other apps work fine.?

Thank you.
Re: Android mythfrontend not connecting [ In reply to ]
On Sat, Jan 22, 2022 at 4:33 PM Kevin Johnson <iitywygms@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi All.
>
> Android mythfrontend will not connect to the database on a separate
> backend. Installed on amazon firestick 4k.
> Kodi, with the mythtv plugin works fine. Leanfront also works fine. But
> for some reason mythfronted will not connect.
> Error message is that it cant connect to database.
> I noticed passwords were different, and tried both of them.
>
> diff ~mythtv/.mythtv/config.xml ~/.mythtv/config.xml
> 1a2
> > <LocalHostName>my-unique-identifier-goes-here</LocalHostName>
> 6c7
> < <Password>pXJn0wim</Password>
> ---
> > <Password>XF2Xr402</Password>
> 16d16
> < <LocalHostName></LocalHostName>
>
> Not sure if that is an issue anyway as everything works except
> mythfrontend.
> All the settings are identical between the 3 apps on the same device.
> I am using mythfrontend-20210819-arm-v31.0-163-g5da2523154-dirty.apk
> Where should I start troubleshooting? I don't think I need to work on the
> backend settings as all other apps work fine.?
>
> Thank you.

Is your backend setup with the bind-address=:: in your mysql.conf.d files
somewhere??
Did you use a real IP address in mythtv-setup instead of 127.0.0.1?

If you did all that then on the Android device go to apps and delete all
the data for mythfrontend and then when it pops up the can't connect
message, just search. Mine always connects at that point. That's how I
switch backends when testing.

Jim A
Re: Android mythfrontend not connecting [ In reply to ]
> Is your backend setup with the bind-address=:: in your mysql.conf.d files
> somewhere??

It is now

> Did you use a real IP address in mythtv-setup instead of 127.0.0.1?

Yes

> If you did all that then on the Android device go to apps and delete all
> the data for mythfrontend and then when it pops up the can't connect
> message, just search. Mine always connects at that point. That's how I
> switch backends when testing.

After doing as you suggested. I got it to connect after manually changing
the settings. I had to change hostname to actual ip address of the
backend. I also had to change the password.

It connects and works. But, when i exit and enter again, it goes back to
using the hostname instead of the ip address i entered, and the password
changes back to the original password.

Permission issue somewhere?
Kevin

Re: Android mythfrontend not connecting [ In reply to ]
On Sat, Jan 22, 2022, 7:10 PM Kevin Johnson <iitywygms@gmail.com> wrote:

> Is your backend setup with the bind-address=:: in your mysql.conf.d files
>> somewhere??
>>

> It is now
>
>> Did you use a real IP address in mythtv-setup instead of 127.0.0.1?
>>

> Yes
>

>> If you did all that then on the Android device go to apps and delete all
>> the data for mythfrontend and then when it pops up the can't connect
>> message, just search. Mine always connects at that point. That's how I
>> switch backends when testing.
>>

> After doing as you suggested. I got it to connect after manually changing
> the settings. I had to change hostname to actual ip address of the
> backend. I also had to change the password.
>
> It connects and works. But, when i exit and enter again, it goes back to
> using the hostname instead of the ip address i entered, and the password
> changes back to the original password.
>
> Permission issue somewhere?
> Kevin

Use Android settings and clear all data on mythfrontend app. The use search
Re: Android mythfrontend not connecting [ In reply to ]
On Sat, Jan 22, 2022 at 6:16 PM James Abernathy <jfabernathy@gmail.com>
wrote:

> On Sat, Jan 22, 2022, 7:10 PM Kevin Johnson <iitywygms@gmail.com> wrote:
>

>> Is your backend setup with the bind-address=:: in your mysql.conf.d files
>>> somewhere??
>>>

>> It is now
>>
>>> Did you use a real IP address in mythtv-setup instead of 127.0.0.1?
>>>

>> Yes
>>

>>> If you did all that then on the Android device go to apps and delete all
>>> the data for mythfrontend and then when it pops up the can't connect
>>> message, just search. Mine always connects at that point. That's how I
>>> switch backends when testing.
>>>

>> After doing as you suggested. I got it to connect after manually
>> changing the settings. I had to change hostname to actual ip address of
>> the backend. I also had to change the password.
>>
>> It connects and works. But, when i exit and enter again, it goes back to
>> using the hostname instead of the ip address i entered, and the password
>> changes back to the original password.
>>
>> Permission issue somewhere?
>> Kevin
>>

> Use Android settings and clear all data on mythfrontend app. The use search

Cleared data and cache.
Start mythfronted app. Go to search. Says cannot connect to database.
Choose the database it finds and save it.
It does its thing for about a minute then prompts with database failed to
start.
If I then choose setup, it has the backend hostname loaded, as well as the
old password.
If I change hostname to the actual ip and correct the password, it works.

But once I exit, old settings return.
Re: Android mythfrontend not connecting [ In reply to ]
On Sat, Jan 22, 2022 at 6:24 PM Kevin Johnson <iitywygms@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Sat, Jan 22, 2022 at 6:16 PM James Abernathy <jfabernathy@gmail.com>
> wrote:
>

>> On Sat, Jan 22, 2022, 7:10 PM Kevin Johnson <iitywygms@gmail.com> wrote:
>>

>>> Is your backend setup with the bind-address=:: in your mysql.conf.d
>>>>

>>> It is now

>>> Yes

>>> After doing as you suggested. I got it to connect after manually
>>> changing the settings. I had to change hostname to actual ip address of
>>> the backend. I also had to change the password.
>>>
>>> It connects and works. But, when i exit and enter again, it goes back
>>> to using the hostname instead of the ip address i entered, and the password
>>> changes back to the original password.
>>>
>>> Permission issue somewhere?
>>> Kevin
>>>

>> Use Android settings and clear all data on mythfrontend app. The use
>> search
>>

> Cleared data and cache.
> Start mythfronted app. Go to search. Says cannot connect to database.
> Choose the database it finds and save it.
> It does its thing for about a minute then prompts with database failed to
> start.
> If I then choose setup, it has the backend hostname loaded, as well as the
> old password.
> If I change hostname to the actual ip and correct the password, it works.
>
> But once I exit, old settings return.

I resolved this by running mythtvs-etup and putting in the actual ip
address instead of the hostname.
I thought I had done this during setup. But apparently I was wrong.

Thanks for the help.
Kevin