Mailing List Archive

One remote to rule them all...
With Logitech out of the game, I'm struggling to find a device that will
control mythtv and my associated home theater receiver and TV. Harmony
could control multiple devices and could program commands, not just
regurgitate keypresses on the remote. The latest I've tried to replace a
Harmony 650 is the Sofabaton U1. With that device, moving from input to
input means that recorded keypresses won't get you to the same outcome each
time, because you're not always starting each device from power up on
exactly the same input to start.

HDMI sometimes helps with controlling other devices, but it is often hit or
miss, particularly if you're controlling MythTV and an associated TV and
home theater receiver. Are there other solutions I'm overlooking?

Steve

Steve Greene
(301) 842-8923
historicity.co
An independent archival professional specializing in still photography,
moving images and recorded sound.
Re: One remote to rule them all... [ In reply to ]
> On Jan 20, 2022, at 3:49 PM, Steve Greene <sgreene820@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> With Logitech out of the game, I'm struggling to find a device that will control mythtv and my associated home theater receiver and TV. Harmony could control multiple devices and could program commands, not just regurgitate keypresses on the remote. The latest I've tried to replace a Harmony 650 is the Sofabaton U1. With that device, moving from input to input means that recorded keypresses won't get you to the same outcome each time, because you're not always starting each device from power up on exactly the same input to start.
>
> HDMI sometimes helps with controlling other devices, but it is often hit or miss, particularly if you're controlling MythTV and an associated TV and home theater receiver. Are there other solutions I'm overlooking?
>
> Steve

Having the same problems here. In fact , my harmony hub is starting to give me problems, and am looking for a replacement.

I am considering a 'roll your own’ solution, basically making my own hub, using a Broadlink RM4 mini( network connected and python-broadlink ) for IR, and a Sofabaton as a bluetooth ‘keybd’ talking to a raspberry pi. Any bluetooth keyed device would suffice including bluetooth game controllers, but as mentioned I’ll use the sofabaton since I have it already.

The raspberry pi will then talk to mythtv via the api interface for key actions, and for IR interfacing via the Broadlink. I am currently developing it now, in python. Tho haven’t gotten far yet, just proofing out the possibilities and have had success with that.

The harmony will be missed since they already have all the libraries for talking to all the devices so ir commands will have to be learned the first time.
Fortunately only my TV, Amp, and Apple TV will need to be learned.

I don’t know of anything else similar to harmony tho that isn’t $$$$.

Regards