Video Playback settings more. Does anyone else use this box? What settings
are you using?

Steve

Steve Greene
(301) 842-8923
historicity.co
An independent archival professional specializing in still photography,
moving images and recorded sound.
Re: No-name Android TV boxes [ In reply to ]
On 19/01/2022 16:01, Steve Greene wrote:
> I just bought a "X96" android TV box. The specs are really good, but
> apparently the box mixes Android TV and stock Android apps, so not all of
> those apps are "remote aware". Fortunately, I was able to use a Logitech
> keyboard and touchpad I had laying around. Plugged in the adapter and it
> just worked.
>
> I think it may be rooted, since I didn't need to burrow into the security
> menu to get it to use ADB to add mythfrontend. It mostly handles the MPEG2
> files ok, but the video does drop a few frames. I may need to customize the
> Video Playback settings more. Does anyone else use this box? What settings
> are you using?
>
> Steve
>
> Steve Greene
> (301) 842-8923
> historicity.co
> An independent archival professional specializing in still photography,
> moving images and recorded sound.

It looks as if there are three different boxes answering that description, all at stupid cheap prices:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/x96-android-tv-box/s?k=x96+android+tv+box

It also looks as if these are all cheap chinese knockoffs but that does not rule them out. I notice
that one further down the list even has a keyboard/joystick remote!

--

Mike Perkins

Re: No-name Android TV boxes [ In reply to ]
I'm tempted (there are at least a few with Android 11) but the big
question for me is does this run the "pure google" Android TV or are they
forks that won't have the security updates?
--
Justin B. Alcorn
The views expressed are not necessarily my own, much less anyone else's

Re: No-name Android TV boxes [ In reply to ]
On 1/19/22 11:01 AM, Steve Greene wrote:
> I just bought a "X96" android TV box. The specs are really good, but
> apparently the box mixes Android TV and stock Android apps, so not all
> of those apps are "remote aware". Fortunately, I was able to use a
> Logitech keyboard and touchpad I had laying around. Plugged in the
> adapter and it just worked.
>
> I think it may be rooted, since I didn't need to burrow into the
> security menu to get it to use ADB to add mythfrontend. It mostly
> handles the MPEG2 files ok, but the video does drop a few frames. I
> may need to customize the Video Playback settings more. Does anyone
> else use this box? What settings are you using?
>
> Steve
>
> Steve Greene
> (301) 842-8923
> historicity.co <http://historicity.co>
> An independent archival professional specializing in still
> photography, moving images and recorded sound.

I would be interested to know if leanfront works on the device
(https://github.com/bennettpeter/android-MythTV-Leanfront).

Peter
Re: No-name Android TV boxes [ In reply to ]
i had setup a mecool one with amlogic chipset and leanfront was fine. i
also had a custom rom on it that gave it android tv interface. but it
was not google certified so netflix stopped working. but leanfront
looked good. basically same chipset as is found on the google certified
mibox from xiaomi. i just looked and now mecool has google certified
boxes but not cheap

Re: No-name Android TV boxes [ In reply to ]
On 19/01/2022 17:19, Justin Alcorn wrote:
> I'm tempted (there are at least a few with Android 11) but the big
> question for me is does this run the "pure google" Android TV or are they
> forks that won't have the security updates?

They don't run Android TV, they run *stock* Android. That means you don't get things like Netflix
etc built in.

--

Mike Perkins

Re: No-name Android TV boxes [ In reply to ]
On Wed, Jan 19, 2022 at 6:06 PM Mike Perkins
<mikep@randomtraveller.org.uk> wrote:

> They don't run Android TV, they run *stock* Android. That means you don't get things like Netflix
> etc built in.

The no-names are almost never certified/qualified,
so any app that requires the device to be certified
will not work. And since they are not running
(true) Android TV, the apps one can download
from the various stores tend to have difficult
(to impossible) navigation as they are designed
for touchscreen navigation.

For the market these devices are typically
targeting (running kodi/plex/etc to your TV
with alternative content sources) that is not
much of a problem, but obviously caveat emptor.

At least in the US, the Walmart $20 ONN
(true) Android TV UHD streaming box has
been considered a reasonably good deal
and works with many of the well known
apps. FD: I do not have one, and have no
plans to purchase one, so I have zero
knowledge if it works well with MythTV.
But at $20, and Walmart's excellent return
policy, it may be worth a try.