Mailing List Archive

Chromecast with Google TV frontend
As I follow the drama in the Shield thread, I'm just curious how the latest
Chromecast is as a frontend.
Re: Chromecast with Google TV frontend [ In reply to ]
On Tue, 18 Jan 2022 at 01:46, Ian Evans <dheianevans@gmail.com> wrote:

> As I follow the drama in the Shield thread, I'm just curious how the
> latest Chromecast is as a frontend.

I've been using it and it seems to work fine. I haven't settled yet on
whether to use Kodi, leanfront or Mythfrontend as the frontend app. All
seem to work OK and it just comes down to personal preference at the end of
the day. I haven't really encountered any major problems with any of them.
Re: Chromecast with Google TV frontend [ In reply to ]
On Mon, Jan 17, 2022 at 5:17 PM Phill Edwards <philledwards@gmail.com>
wrote:

> On Tue, 18 Jan 2022 at 01:46, Ian Evans <dheianevans@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> As I follow the drama in the Shield thread, I'm just curious how the
>> latest Chromecast is as a frontend.
>>

> I've been using it and it seems to work fine. I haven't settled yet on
> whether to use Kodi, leanfront or Mythfrontend as the frontend app. All
> seem to work OK and it just comes down to personal preference at the end of
> the day. I haven't really encountered any major problems with any of them.

Phil,

Is there a trick to getting the google chromecast with google tv to work
with the full frontend? When I attempt to install it the message I get is
something to the effect that it's not allowed.

Not sure if I'm using an appropriate build - I am trying to install a
frontend for v31. Not sure where to get pre-built android FEs, but I am
running leanfront successfully, so it's not an urgent problem.

I would like to run a full frontend on my nvidia shield, but I am not able
to get it to connect to the database. I still have some investigation to
do, but I have other (linux) remote frontends so its not just a networking
problem. Is there some trick to it? Unable to connect via the full
frontend from any android client.

Thanks for any insight...

George
Re: Chromecast with Google TV frontend [ In reply to ]
> Is there a trick to getting the google chromecast with google tv to work
> with the full frontend? When I attempt to install it the message I get is
> something to the effect that it's not allowed.
>
> Not sure if I'm using an appropriate build - I am trying to install a
> frontend for v31. Not sure where to get pre-built android FEs, but I am
> running leanfront successfully, so it's not an urgent problem.
>
> I would like to run a full frontend on my nvidia shield, but I am not able
> to get it to connect to the database. I still have some investigation to
> do, but I have other (linux) remote frontends so its not just a networking
> problem. Is there some trick to it? Unable to connect via the full
> frontend from any android client.

When I first tried to get Mythfrontend going on my Chromecast with Google
TV I kept getting Unable to connect. The way I fixed this in the end was
(bizarrely) to only connect with WiFi rather than an ethernet cable. If
you're using an ethernet connection you might want to try this. I have no
idea why it solved it because my WiFi and ethernet are on the same subnet.

I also had a slight issue installing initially because I think I tried to
install the 64 bit version. From what I remember it was fine with the 32
bit version. I have v31 installed. I got the APKs from
https://dl.orangedox.com/pCBmBm/

HTH.