thier forum. This post on 1080i 50 framerate is probably the same issue
i am seeing with the mpeg2 content in myth. They are talking about
google changing something on interlacing.

http://email.mg.glenb.net/c/eJwtj01uhDAMhU8Du6D8ErJg0U3vkcQOiQRhBAHUnn48aiVb7_OT_CzDHJMHo_syo57AKxUggLUmjCrJKcbJKQ_CeuFkCDxa8EP0G66d5suKNQwVW5_nUYA0BmzSThm0aRyTRAkWueUONPTrnFt7nZ366uQ31fM8Q70LFMrbNzKwsuskXTDtR0Qi0mv7WGcuuAJrN7Gj1pMYhSQI18Jexx5W3NhTWmaCT7www_Mvi3ttWBsrlVV82H8GLSnhjFScqD_m7afldtNlPE566W8c9mN5A4KqWGw

There is already a hotfix for the permissions issue but not for this
interlacing issue. Also once you sign up for hotfixes you are stuck
with them through the whole version until they move to a new version
which might be forever.
Re: Major Issues with new Nvidia Shield 9.0 upgrade to Android 11 [ In reply to ]
On Thu, Jan 13, 2022 at 1:30 PM glen <glenb@glenb.net> wrote:

> I did the upgrade yesterday when it was pushed to one of my shields. So
> far, at least for me, the Mythtv related apps, frontend and leanfront both
> don't play mpeg2 interlaced files well at all, in my opinion much worse
> than before.
>
> There are other problems not related to Myth that might effect others,
> mainly a permissions problem that prevents external storage from getting
> read access and other apps failing for looking for a file in your user
> area. Before you do this upgrade it would be wise to peruse thier forum.
> This post on 1080i 50 framerate is probably the same issue i am seeing with
> the mpeg2 content in myth. They are talking about google changing something
> on interlacing.
>

> https://www.nvidia.com/en-us/geforce/forums/shield-tv/9/481612/bug-problem-with-1080i-50hz-content-in-new-shield-/3195230/
> <http://email.mg.glenb.net/c/eJwtj01uhDAMhU8Du6D8ErJg0U3vkcQOiQRhBAHUnn48aiVb7_OT_CzDHJMHo_syo57AKxUggLUmjCrJKcbJKQ_CeuFkCDxa8EP0G66d5suKNQwVW5_nUYA0BmzSThm0aRyTRAkWueUONPTrnFt7nZ366uQ31fM8Q70LFMrbNzKwsuskXTDtR0Qi0mv7WGcuuAJrN7Gj1pMYhSQI18Jexx5W3NhTWmaCT7www_Mvi3ttWBsrlVV82H8GLSnhjFScqD_m7afldtNlPE566W8c9mN5A4KqWGw>
>
> There is already a hotfix for the permissions issue but not for this
> interlacing issue. Also once you sign up for hotfixes you are stuck with
> them through the whole version until they move to a new version which might
> be forever.

I got the hotfix today. Didn't solve anything and Leanfront is much worse.
Luckily, I have some FIreTV 4Ks. For all the streaming apps plus
Leanfront, FIreTV 4ks works great.

Jim A
Re: Major Issues with new Nvidia Shield 9.0 upgrade to Android 11 [ In reply to ]
On Thu, 2022-01-13 at 13:46 -0500, James Abernathy wrote:

> On Thu, Jan 13, 2022 at 1:30 PM glen <glenb@glenb.net> wrote:
> > I did the upgrade yesterday when it was pushed to one of my
> > shields. So far, at least for me, the Mythtv related apps, frontend
> > and leanfront both don't play mpeg2 interlaced files well at all,
> > in my opinion much worse than before.
> >
> > There are other problems not related to Myth that might effect
> > others, mainly a permissions problem that prevents external storage
> > from getting read access and other apps failing for looking for a
> > file in your user area. Before you do this upgrade it would be wise
> > to  peruse thier forum. This post on 1080i 50 framerate is probably
> > the same issue i am seeing with the mpeg2 content in myth. They are
> > talking about google changing something on interlacing.
> >
> > http://email.mg.glenb.net/c/eJwtj0uOhDAMRE8Du6D8AwsWs5l75OOQSCG0QgDNnL7dmpFs1XNJLsth9dEGJce8zjYaTg3XdI4sUB5joMqIEAWbpTcyLFwopc3k7Q5lkHQrUN1UoY9p1d5x5SDYqKzyNLAlSisdk2oRDowey5p6f52D-Br4N9bzPFO9c8h28seOBlRynagbxKN5QEK99o91pgwlkH4jL9hyZppxBHdt5NUOV2AnT-6JMDrTTBRNv8QftUPtJFdS4SH_Gbgk2KK4oEhjW_efnvqNl6Gd-NLfOB1tewOkmFeg
> >
> > There is already a hotfix for the permissions issue but not for
> > this interlacing issue. Also once you sign up for hotfixes you are
> > stuck with them through the whole version until they move to a new
> > version which might be forever.
> >

> I got the hotfix today. Didn't solve anything and Leanfront is much
> worse.  Luckily, I have some FIreTV 4Ks.  For all the streaming apps
> plus Leanfront, FIreTV 4ks works great.
>
> Jim A

Jim,

keep an eye on the Nvidia Shield forum. they said in there they did not
address the 'interlacing' issue in the hotfix and probably will not.
although they were talking 50fps interlaced, I strongly suspect that is
our issue as well. It's bugging me so much i may have to do a recovery
back to 8.01. I have done this with phones and tablets and will take a
long time.. but the files and instructions are
here: http://email.mg.glenb.net/c/eJwljUsOhCAQBU-jOwlf0QWL2cw9kO5WEsQJoMncfkgmeZuqWjxwgTwYPUa3eLKSWznzhQRwSQTcWAWkxKKD1bBKZcxsWfAnpkHzPWHeWMY2Hk75IMADrSSJSzNvgRSi5loIu2qrxuSO1j51UK9BvvsAH0zXBwvLT4ToWbjOrusRMcHUQ57qdZeAY3Hntx3tme6KpfbfP7Kr7D8Qhjx8
Re: Major Issues with new Nvidia Shield 9.0 upgrade to Android 11 [ In reply to ]
On 13/01/2022 18:56, glen wrote:
> On Thu, 2022-01-13 at 13:46 -0500, James Abernathy wrote:
>>

>> On Thu, Jan 13, 2022 at 1:30 PM glen <glenb@glenb.net
>> <mailto:glenb@glenb.net>> wrote:
>>> I did the upgrade yesterday when it was pushed to one of my shields.
>>> So far, at least for me, the Mythtv related apps, frontend and
>>> leanfront both don't play mpeg2 interlaced files well at all, in my
>>> opinion much worse than before.
>>>
>>> There are other problems not related to Myth that might effect
>>> others, mainly a permissions problem that prevents external storage
>>> from getting read access and other apps failing for looking for a
>>> file in your user area. Before you do this upgrade it would be wise
>>> to  peruse thier forum. This post on 1080i 50 framerate is probably
>>> the same issue i am seeing with the mpeg2 content in myth. They are
>>> talking about google changing something on interlacing.
>>>
>>> https://www.nvidia.com/en-us/geforce/forums/shield-tv/9/481612/bug-problem-with-1080i-50hz-content-in-new-shield-/3195230/
>>> <http://email.mg.glenb.net/c/eJwtj01uhDAMhU8Du6D8ErJg0U3vkcQOiQRhBAHUnn48aiVb7_OT_CzDHJMHo_syo57AKxUggLUmjCrJKcbJKQ_CeuFkCDxa8EP0G66d5suKNQwVW5_nUYA0BmzSThm0aRyTRAkWueUONPTrnFt7nZ366uQ31fM8Q70LFMrbNzKwsuskXTDtR0Qi0mv7WGcuuAJrN7Gj1pMYhSQI18Jexx5W3NhTWmaCT7www_Mvi3ttWBsrlVV82H8GLSnhjFScqD_m7afldtNlPE566W8c9mN5A4KqWGw>
>>>
>>> There is already a hotfix for the permissions issue but not for this
>>> interlacing issue. Also once you sign up for hotfixes you are stuck
>>> with them through the whole version until they move to a new version
>>> which might be forever.
>>>

>> I got the hotfix today. Didn't solve anything and Leanfront is much
>> worse.  Luckily, I have some FIreTV 4Ks.  For all the streaming apps
>> plus Leanfront, FIreTV 4ks works great.
>>
>> Jim A

> Jim,
>
> keep an eye on the Nvidia Shield forum. they said in there they did not
> address the 'interlacing' issue in the hotfix and probably will not.
> although they were talking 50fps interlaced, I strongly suspect that is
> our issue as well. It's bugging me so much i may have to do a recovery
> back to 8.01. I have done this with phones and tablets and will take a
> long time.. but the files and instructions are here:
> https://developer.nvidia.com/shield-open-source
> <http://email.mg.glenb.net/c/eJwljUsOhCAQBU-jOwlf0QWL2cw9kO5WEsQJoMncfkgmeZuqWjxwgTwYPUa3eLKSWznzhQRwSQTcWAWkxKKD1bBKZcxsWfAnpkHzPWHeWMY2Hk75IMADrSSJSzNvgRSi5loIu2qrxuSO1j51UK9BvvsAH0zXBwvLT4ToWbjOrusRMcHUQ57qdZeAY3Hntx3tme6KpfbfP7Kr7D8Qhjx8>

I don't have an active HDMI display now, so can't test, but the problem
I used to have with leanfront and the firestick 4k in the UK turned out
not to be interlacing. IIRC it worked well if I demuxed and remuxed
using a command line like this:

mythffmpeg -hide_banner -ignore_unknown -i infile.ts -vcodec copy
-acodec copy -avoid_negative_ts make_zero -f mpegts outfile.ts

It often needed a second runthrough to work properly, and I never found
out why. Perhaps regenerating the seektable with mythcommflag --rebuild
was needed too. It might be worth a try. The command is similar to one
from the wiki, which has another using mkv.

John P
Re: Major Issues with new Nvidia Shield 9.0 upgrade to Android 11 [ In reply to ]
On Thu, 2022-01-13 at 20:27 +0000, John Pilkington wrote:
> On 13/01/2022 18:56, glen wrote:
> > On Thu, 2022-01-13 at 13:46 -0500, James Abernathy wrote:

> > > I got the hotfix today. Didn't solve anything and Leanfront is
> > > much
> > > worse.  Luckily, I have some FIreTV 4Ks.  For all the streaming
> > > apps
> > > plus Leanfront, FIreTV 4ks works great.
> > >
> > > Jim A
>
> > Jim,
> >
> > keep an eye on the Nvidia Shield forum. they said in there they did
> > not
> > address the 'interlacing' issue in the hotfix and probably will
> > not.
> > although they were talking 50fps interlaced, I strongly suspect
> > that is
> > our issue as well. It's bugging me so much i may have to do a
> > recovery
> > back to 8.01. I have done this with phones and tablets and will
> > take a
> > long time.. but the files and instructions are here:
> > http://email.mg.glenb.net/c/eJwljc0KhCAURp_GdslVM23hIgbmPfy5TYFpqAXz9iMMfJtzzuILxm82yGk4TGCTReY2zhgKBcyBhm1xQmll9SxBWgVe6I16e2IkE3wiJkcTtmE3XIXZanQyoFeOC5CML-jBA-oZ2DJEs7d2VSJWwt99AR-M-cJC03OEw1Kfz67rfmAMYw9prPkuHsmLkxWGYs5v29sz3hVL7e9_pLl8fnZwPcU
> > <
> > http://email.mg.glenb.net/c/eJwljUsOhCAQBU-jOwlf0QWL2cw9kO5WEsQJoMncfkgmeZuqWjxwgTwYPUa3eLKSWznzhQRwSQTcWAWkxKKD1bBKZcxsWfAnpkHzPWHeWMY2Hk75IMADrSSJSzNvgRSi5loIu2qrxuSO1j51UK9BvvsAH0zXBwvLT4ToWbjOrusRMcHUQ57qdZeAY3Hntx3tme6KpfbfP7Kr7D8Qhjx8
> > >

> I don't have an active HDMI display now, so can't test, but the
> problem
> I used to have with leanfront and the firestick 4k in the UK turned
> out
> not to be interlacing.  IIRC it worked well if I demuxed and remuxed
> using a command line like this:
>
>   mythffmpeg -hide_banner -ignore_unknown  -i infile.ts  -vcodec copy
> -acodec copy -avoid_negative_ts make_zero -f mpegts  outfile.ts
>
> It often needed a second runthrough to work properly, and I never
> found
> out why.  Perhaps regenerating the seektable with mythcommflag --
> rebuild
> was needed too.  It might be worth a try.  The command is similar to
> one
> from the wiki, which has another using mkv.
>
> John P

did not change for me. this is an issue from yesterday's 'upgrade'.
prior to that playback was acceptable. and it is well noted on the
shield forums and the devs there acknowledge the issue. I was trying to
provide a 'heads up' for people not to do the upgrade yet until they
get this worked out as those that issues that will affect mythtv
content and also other unrelated problems that might present problems
generally
Re: Major Issues with new Nvidia Shield 9.0 upgrade to Android 11 [ In reply to ]
On Thu, Jan 13, 2022 at 3:33 PM glen <glenb@glenb.net> wrote:

> [...]
>
> mythffmpeg -hide_banner -ignore_unknown -i infile.ts -vcodec copy
> -acodec copy -avoid_negative_ts make_zero -f mpegts outfile.ts
>
> It often needed a second runthrough to work properly, and I never found
> out why. Perhaps regenerating the seektable with mythcommflag --rebuild
> was needed too. It might be worth a try. The command is similar to one
> from the wiki, which has another using mkv.
>
> John P
>

> did not change for me. this is an issue from yesterday's 'upgrade'. prior
> to that playback was acceptable. and it is well noted on the shield forums
> and the devs there acknowledge the issue. I was trying to provide a 'heads
> up' for people not to do the upgrade yet until they get this worked out as
> those that issues that will affect mythtv content and also other unrelated
> problems that might present problems generally

As an experiment, I moved the HDMI cable from a 5x1 HDMI Switch to directly
plugging into the TV HDMI port. So now it's 1 to 1 Shield TV to TV. That
works as far as no blanking of the screen with muted audio. Since my TV
only has 2 HDMI ports, this is a problem. The FireTV already takes one of
the HDMI ports as it will not work thru the switch. The Switch is a HDMI
2.0 rated switch for what that is worth. Maybe the Shield TV update did
the same thing that the FireTV did that requires nothing between itself and
the TV.

Jim A
Re: Major Issues with new Nvidia Shield 9.0 upgrade to Android 11 [ In reply to ]
On 13/01/2022 18:30, glen wrote:
> I did the upgrade yesterday when it was pushed to one of my shields.
> So far, at least for me, the Mythtv related apps, frontend and
> leanfront both don't play mpeg2 interlaced files well at all, in my
> opinion much worse than before.
>
> There are other problems not related to Myth that might effect others,
> mainly a permissions problem that prevents external storage from
> getting read access and other apps failing for looking for a file in
> your user area. Before you do this upgrade it would be wise to  peruse
> thier forum. This post on 1080i 50 framerate is probably the same
> issue i am seeing with the mpeg2 content in myth. They are talking
> about google changing something on interlacing.
>
> https://www.nvidia.com/en-us/geforce/forums/shield-tv/9/481612/bug-problem-with-1080i-50hz-content-in-new-shield-/3195230/
> <http://email.mg.glenb.net/c/eJwtj01uhDAMhU8Du6D8ErJg0U3vkcQOiQRhBAHUnn48aiVb7_OT_CzDHJMHo_syo57AKxUggLUmjCrJKcbJKQ_CeuFkCDxa8EP0G66d5suKNQwVW5_nUYA0BmzSThm0aRyTRAkWueUONPTrnFt7nZ366uQ31fM8Q70LFMrbNzKwsuskXTDtR0Qi0mv7WGcuuAJrN7Gj1pMYhSQI18Jexx5W3NhTWmaCT7www_Mvi3ttWBsrlVV82H8GLSnhjFScqD_m7afldtNlPE566W8c9mN5A4KqWGw>
>
> There is already a hotfix for the permissions issue but not for this
> interlacing issue. Also once you sign up for hotfixes you are stuck
> with them through the whole version until they move to a new version
> which might be forever.

I haven't experienced any issues after my Shield updated. Leanfront &
the frontend are both fine. Thats with UK 1080i content. I am not seeing
the de-interlacing issue, presumably because  the frontend/leanfront is
producing 1080p. Or it might that my TV (LG OLED) has taken out the
problem (its picture processing is very good ). I note the other issues
in the Hotfix but they don't affect me immediately

I am confused by the warnings about taking the hotfix, where is the
downside.

If I dont take the hotfix are Nvidia likely to role out the fixes anyway
in say a month or do you have to wait 6 months or more.
Re: Major Issues with new Nvidia Shield 9.0 upgrade to Android 11 [ In reply to ]
On Fri, Jan 14, 2022 at 5:54 AM John <jksjdevelop@gmail.com> wrote:

> On 13/01/2022 18:30, glen wrote:
>
> I did the upgrade yesterday when it was pushed to one of my shields. So
> far, at least for me, the Mythtv related apps, frontend and leanfront both
> don't play mpeg2 interlaced files well at all, in my opinion much worse
> than before.
>
> There are other problems not related to Myth that might effect others,
> mainly a permissions problem that prevents external storage from getting
> read access and other apps failing for looking for a file in your user
> area. Before you do this upgrade it would be wise to peruse thier forum.
> This post on 1080i 50 framerate is probably the same issue i am seeing with
> the mpeg2 content in myth. They are talking about google changing something
> on interlacing.
>

> https://www.nvidia.com/en-us/geforce/forums/shield-tv/9/481612/bug-problem-with-1080i-50hz-content-in-new-shield-/3195230/
> <http://email.mg.glenb.net/c/eJwtj01uhDAMhU8Du6D8ErJg0U3vkcQOiQRhBAHUnn48aiVb7_OT_CzDHJMHo_syo57AKxUggLUmjCrJKcbJKQ_CeuFkCDxa8EP0G66d5suKNQwVW5_nUYA0BmzSThm0aRyTRAkWueUONPTrnFt7nZ366uQ31fM8Q70LFMrbNzKwsuskXTDtR0Qi0mv7WGcuuAJrN7Gj1pMYhSQI18Jexx5W3NhTWmaCT7www_Mvi3ttWBsrlVV82H8GLSnhjFScqD_m7afldtNlPE566W8c9mN5A4KqWGw>
>
> There is already a hotfix for the permissions issue but not for this
> interlacing issue. Also once you sign up for hotfixes you are stuck with
> them through the whole version until they move to a new version which might
> be forever.

> I haven't experienced any issues after my Shield updated. Leanfront & the
> frontend are both fine. Thats with UK 1080i content. I am not seeing the
> de-interlacing issue, presumably because the frontend/leanfront is
> producing 1080p. Or it might that my TV (LG OLED) has taken out the problem
> (its picture processing is very good ). I note the other issues in the
> Hotfix but they don't affect me immediately
>
> I am confused by the warnings about taking the hotfix, where is the
> downside.
>
> If I dont take the hotfix are Nvidia likely to role out the fixes anyway
> in say a month or do you have to wait 6 months or more.

I signed up for the Hotfix before I knew anything and got it last night. I
also got an email from someone at Nvidia wanting more data about my problem.

Turns out if I turn off HDMI 2.0/HDR on my TV, I no longer get the random
blank screens for a second or 2. Even though every piece of equipment in
the chain is HDMI 2.0 compatible, with version 9, I have issues if it's
activated on the TV.

I tested Leanfront and it's still smooth as expected. I have not had time
to test mythfrontend on v31 with my worst case test videos, but will today.

Turning off HDR is not a big issue for me. The picture is still 4K and it
looks good. Mythtv content is always 1080i or 720p over here.

Jim A
Re: Major Issues with new Nvidia Shield 9.0 upgrade to Android 11 [ In reply to ]
On Fri, Jan 14, 2022 at 9:01 AM James Abernathy <jfabernathy@gmail.com>
wrote:

> [...]
>>
>> If I dont take the hotfix are Nvidia likely to role out the fixes anyway
>> in say a month or do you have to wait 6 months or more.
>>

> I signed up for the Hotfix before I knew anything and got it last night.
> I also got an email from someone at Nvidia wanting more data about my
> problem.
>
> Turns out if I turn off HDMI 2.0/HDR on my TV, I no longer get the random
> blank screens for a second or 2. Even though every piece of equipment in
> the chain is HDMI 2.0 compatible, with version 9, I have issues if it's
> activated on the TV.
>
> I tested Leanfront and it's still smooth as expected. I have not had time
> to test mythfrontend on v31 with my worst case test videos, but will today.
>
> Turning off HDR is not a big issue for me. The picture is still 4K and it
> looks good. Mythtv content is always 1080i or 720p over here.

Here's the latest. The Nvidia update to v9 including the hotfix has issues
for sure that affect Leanfront. This is the first time I've seen
mythfrontend be better than Leanfront on the Shield TV. My test case was a
morning news program with a text crawl at the bottom of the screen. right
now on my Shield TV the text crawl is perfectly smooth with mythfrontend.
with Leanfront the crawl is continuous, but you can't really focus on the
words as easily as Mythfrontend. The crawl in Leanfront shows the text as
if it's not in the same resolution as it should be. Kind of like micro
shakiness making the text a little blurry or out of focus slightly. So
usable, but no as good as it was.

JIm A
Re: Major Issues with new Nvidia Shield 9.0 upgrade to Android 11 [ In reply to ]
On Fri, 2022-01-14 at 10:51 +0000, John wrote:
> On 13/01/2022 18:30, glen wrote:
>

> > I did the upgrade yesterday when it was pushed to one of my
> > shields. So far, at least for me, the Mythtv related apps, frontend
> > and leanfront both don't play mpeg2 interlaced files well at all,
> > in my opinion much worse than before.
> >
> > There are other problems not related to Myth that might effect
> > others, mainly a permissions problem that prevents external storage
> > from getting read access and other apps failing for looking for a
> > file in your user area. Before you do this upgrade it would be wise
> > to  peruse thier forum. This post on 1080i 50 framerate is probably
> > the same issue i am seeing with the mpeg2 content in myth. They are
> > talking about google changing something on interlacing.
> >
> > http://email.mg.glenb.net/c/eJwtj01uhTAMhE_z2AU5fwQWLLrpPRLHIZEgPEEAtaevq1ayNZ9H8liOMyYfrenKDB4mn0JSwXjlyI06oJTBRY9eRlDokpVOQo9-o_VlYFmphr5S6_IMiqRROmj0aMZp0sFapQZAcJCGwXXrnFt7ny_98VKfXM_z9PUusfge940NquI6WRdK-4HExHptv9aZC61RtJt54jajHKRiCNci3sceVtrEU1oWEkYowkL-FrjXRrWJUkWlR_xn8JKWk1UamLpj3r5abjdfpuPkl_7Gfj-WH79NV3A
> >
> > There is already a hotfix for the permissions issue but not for
> > this interlacing issue. Also once you sign up for hotfixes you are
> > stuck with them through the whole version until they move to a new
> > version which might be forever.

> I haven't experienced any issues after my Shield updated. Leanfront &
> the frontend are both fine. Thats with UK 1080i content. I am not
> seeing the de-interlacing issue, presumably because  the
> frontend/leanfront is producing 1080p. Or it might that my TV (LG
> OLED) has taken out the problem (its picture processing is very good
> ). I note the other issues in the Hotfix but they don't affect me
> immediately
> I am confused by the warnings about taking the hotfix, where is the
> downside.
> If I dont take the hotfix are Nvidia likely to role out the fixes
> anyway in say a month or do you have to wait 6 months or more.

 On the hotfix channel, the hotfix is not google certified so some apps
may not be available. that's the downside. the other is that early
attempts may present more problems and  you have to wait for the next
hotfix and you can't go off the hotfix channel.

For me I had many issues. Both mythfrontend and leanfront looked bad.
My hdr was not being activated on most files as before. The permissions
issue was causing several apps to fail, among them file explorers. i
did a rollback and flashed their recovery image back to 8.23 and its
great again.
Re: Major Issues with new Nvidia Shield 9.0 upgrade to Android 11 [ In reply to ]
On 15/01/2022 12:36, glen wrote:
> On Fri, 2022-01-14 at 10:51 +0000, John wrote:
>> On 13/01/2022 18:30, glen wrote:
>>
>>> I did the upgrade yesterday when it was pushed to one of my shields.
>>> So far, at least for me, the Mythtv related apps, frontend and
>>> leanfront both don't play mpeg2 interlaced files well at all, in my
>>> opinion much worse than before.
>>>
>>> There are other problems not related to Myth that might effect
>>> others, mainly a permissions problem that prevents external storage
>>> from getting read access and other apps failing for looking for a
>>> file in your user area. Before you do this upgrade it would be wise
>>> to  peruse thier forum. This post on 1080i 50 framerate is probably
>>> the same issue i am seeing with the mpeg2 content in myth. They are
>>> talking about google changing something on interlacing.
>>>
>>> https://www.nvidia.com/en-us/geforce/forums/shield-tv/9/481612/bug-problem-with-1080i-50hz-content-in-new-shield-/3195230/
>>> <http://email.mg.glenb.net/c/eJwtj01uhDAMhU8Du6D8ErJg0U3vkcQOiQRhBAHUnn48aiVb7_OT_CzDHJMHo_syo57AKxUggLUmjCrJKcbJKQ_CeuFkCDxa8EP0G66d5suKNQwVW5_nUYA0BmzSThm0aRyTRAkWueUONPTrnFt7nZ366uQ31fM8Q70LFMrbNzKwsuskXTDtR0Qi0mv7WGcuuAJrN7Gj1pMYhSQI18Jexx5W3NhTWmaCT7www_Mvi3ttWBsrlVV82H8GLSnhjFScqD_m7afldtNlPE566W8c9mN5A4KqWGw>
>>>
>>> There is already a hotfix for the permissions issue but not for this
>>> interlacing issue. Also once you sign up for hotfixes you are stuck
>>> with them through the whole version until they move to a new version
>>> which might be forever.

>> I haven't experienced any issues after my Shield updated. Leanfront &
>> the frontend are both fine. Thats with UK 1080i content. I am not
>> seeing the de-interlacing issue, presumably because  the
>> frontend/leanfront is producing 1080p. Or it might that my TV (LG
>> OLED) has taken out the problem (its picture processing is very good
>> ). I note the other issues in the Hotfix but they don't affect me
>> immediately
>>
>> I am confused by the warnings about taking the hotfix, where is the
>> downside.
>>
>> If I dont take the hotfix are Nvidia likely to role out the fixes
>> anyway in say a month or do you have to wait 6 months or more.

>  On the hotfix channel, the hotfix is not google certified so some
> apps may not be available. that's the downside. the other is that
> early attempts may present more problems and  you have to wait for the
> next hotfix and you can't go off the hotfix channel.
>
> For me I had many issues. Both mythfrontend and leanfront looked bad.
> My hdr was not being activated on most files as before. The
> permissions issue was causing several apps to fail, among them file
> explorers. i did a rollback and flashed their recovery image back to
> 8.23 and its great again.

Thanks for the  hotfix info. Nothing listed effects me in normal use so
I will stick with the release.
Re: Major Issues with new Nvidia Shield 9.0 upgrade to Android 11 [ In reply to ]
On Sat, Jan 15, 2022 at 10:52 AM John <jksjdevelop@gmail.com> wrote:

> On 15/01/2022 12:36, glen wrote:
>
> On Fri, 2022-01-14 at 10:51 +0000, John wrote:
>
> On 13/01/2022 18:30, glen wrote:
>
> I did the upgrade yesterday when it was pushed to one of my shields. So
> far, at least for me, the Mythtv related apps, frontend and leanfront both
> don't play mpeg2 interlaced files well at all, in my opinion much worse
> than before.
>
> There are other problems not related to Myth that might effect others,
> mainly a permissions problem that prevents external storage from getting
> read access and other apps failing for looking for a file in your user
> area. Before you do this upgrade it would be wise to peruse thier forum.
> This post on 1080i 50 framerate is probably the same issue i am seeing with
> the mpeg2 content in myth. They are talking about google changing something
> on interlacing.
>

> https://www.nvidia.com/en-us/geforce/forums/shield-tv/9/481612/bug-problem-with-1080i-50hz-content-in-new-shield-/3195230/
> <http://email.mg.glenb.net/c/eJwtj01uhDAMhU8Du6D8ErJg0U3vkcQOiQRhBAHUnn48aiVb7_OT_CzDHJMHo_syo57AKxUggLUmjCrJKcbJKQ_CeuFkCDxa8EP0G66d5suKNQwVW5_nUYA0BmzSThm0aRyTRAkWueUONPTrnFt7nZ366uQ31fM8Q70LFMrbNzKwsuskXTDtR0Qi0mv7WGcuuAJrN7Gj1pMYhSQI18Jexx5W3NhTWmaCT7www_Mvi3ttWBsrlVV82H8GLSnhjFScqD_m7afldtNlPE566W8c9mN5A4KqWGw>
>
> There is already a hotfix for the permissions issue but not for this
> interlacing issue. Also once you sign up for hotfixes you are stuck with
> them through the whole version until they move to a new version which might
> be forever.

> I haven't experienced any issues after my Shield updated. Leanfront & the
> frontend are both fine. Thats with UK 1080i content. I am not seeing the
> de-interlacing issue, presumably because the frontend/leanfront is
> producing 1080p. Or it might that my TV (LG OLED) has taken out the problem
> (its picture processing is very good ). I note the other issues in the
> Hotfix but they don't affect me immediately
>
> I am confused by the warnings about taking the hotfix, where is the
> downside.
>
> If I dont take the hotfix are Nvidia likely to role out the fixes anyway
> in say a month or do you have to wait 6 months or more.
>

> On the hotfix channel, the hotfix is not google certified so some apps
> may not be available. that's the downside. the other is that early attempts
> may present more problems and you have to wait for the next hotfix and you
> can't go off the hotfix channel.
>
> For me I had many issues. Both mythfrontend and leanfront looked bad. My
> hdr was not being activated on most files as before. The permissions issue
> was causing several apps to fail, among them file explorers. i did a
> rollback and flashed their recovery image back to 8.23 and its great again.

Just to add my experience with the 9.0 update, I have v30 backend and a v30
frontend and after the update I have audio sync issues with both recorded
and live tv (paused a few seconds). It's like the video is occasionally
choppy, and the audio fluctuates from almost synced to maybe a half second
off. I haven't tried playing with any video settings yet, I have a v31 apk
to try as well.

On first launch I get a "this app was built for a different version of
android" message, if I build from source will it fix that?
Re: Major Issues with new Nvidia Shield 9.0 upgrade to Android 11 [ In reply to ]
i had terrible results on the 9.0 and very happy to be back on 8.23,
the myth apps, both, play really well. i'm sure nvidia will get the
interlaced content issue resolved so i plan to keep an eye on the
forums and try again when it looks like the coast is clear. it was
fairly simple to reflash using their recovery image.

Re: Major Issues with new Nvidia Shield 9.0 upgrade to Android 11 [ In reply to ]
On Sun, Jan 16, 2022 at 3:07 PM glen <glenb@glenb.net> wrote:

> i had terrible results on the 9.0 and very happy to be back on 8.23, the
> myth apps, both, play really well. i'm sure nvidia will get the interlaced
> content issue resolved so i plan to keep an eye on the forums and try again
> when it looks like the coast is clear. it was fairly simple to reflash
> using their recovery image.
>

> Just to add my experience with the 9.0 update, I have v30 backend and a
> v30 frontend and after the update I have audio sync issues with both
> recorded and live tv (paused a few seconds). It's like the video is
> occasionally choppy, and the audio fluctuates from almost synced to maybe a
> half second off. I haven't tried playing with any video settings yet, I
> have a v31 apk to try as well.
>
> On first launch I get a "this app was built for a different version of
> android" message, if I build from source will it fix that?

For those who somehow got 9.0 installed and now regret it, like Glen says
it's easy to put 8.23 back on the Shield. I summarized what I did with
Glen's help in a posting on the MythTV forum (
https://forum.mythtv.org/viewtopic.php?f=47&t=4740). So it's there when I
have to do it again and forget where to start.
Re: Major Issues with new Nvidia Shield 9.0 upgrade to Android 11 [ In reply to ]
On 1/16/22 3:24 PM, James Abernathy wrote:

> On Sun, Jan 16, 2022 at 3:07 PM glen <glenb@glenb.net
> <mailto:glenb@glenb.net>> wrote:
>
> i had terrible results on the 9.0 and very happy to be back on
> 8.23, the myth apps, both, play really well. i'm sure nvidia will
> get the interlaced content issue resolved so i plan to keep an eye
> on the forums and try again when it looks like the coast is clear.
> it was fairly simple to reflash using their recovery image.
>

>> Just to add my experience with the 9.0 update, I have v30 backend
>> and a v30 frontend and after the update I have audio sync issues
>> with both recorded and live tv (paused a few seconds).  It's like
>> the video is occasionally choppy, and the audio fluctuates from
>> almost synced to maybe a half second off.  I haven't tried
>> playing with any video settings yet, I have a v31 apk to try as
>> well.
>>
>> On first launch I get a "this app was built for a different
>> version of android" message, if I build from source will it fix that?
>

> For those who somehow got 9.0 installed and now regret it, like Glen
> says it's easy to put 8.23 back on the Shield. I summarized what I did
> with Glen's help in a posting on the MythTV forum
> (https://forum.mythtv.org/viewtopic.php?f=47&t=4740
> <https://forum.mythtv.org/viewtopic.php?f=47&t=4740>). So it's there
> when I have to do it again and forget where to start.

I did the upgrade. I checked leanfront and mythfrontend. I did not see
any problems with playback. I played parts of a few recordings with
mythfrontend and did some skip forward and back. I watched for a half
hour with leanfront.

I do not have any mpeg-2 recordings. They are all h264. Perhaps mpeg2 is
the issue.

Peter
Re: Major Issues with new Nvidia Shield 9.0 upgrade to Android 11 [ In reply to ]
On Mon, 2022-01-17 at 09:26 -0500, Peter Bennett wrote:

> On 1/16/22 3:24 PM, James Abernathy wrote:
>

> > On Sun, Jan 16, 2022 at 3:07 PM glen <glenb@glenb.net> wrote:
> >
> > > i had terrible results on the 9.0 and very happy to be back on
> > > 8.23, the myth apps, both, play really well. i'm sure nvidia will
> > > get the interlaced content issue resolved so i plan to keep an
> > > eye on the forums and try again when it looks like the coast is
> > > clear. it was fairly simple to reflash using their recovery
> > > image.

> > For those who somehow got 9.0 installed and now regret it, like
> > Glen says it's easy to put 8.23 back on the Shield. I
> > summarized what I did with Glen's help in a posting on the
> > MythTV forum (http://email.mg.glenb.net/c/eJxFzs0KgzAQBOCnibcGk6z5OeRQKL5H3GRV0BpitPTtK-2hMIdh4IOJHinEDprZWyO0QeVIoG0HZ62gFp0GHdEEJVXXKRFx0BzDmhYG7bik58CfqTaTtx0mQ2ScDQTRXohARggOQehBumbxU615Z-rOZH-FtnKsfH3XqZ58K-M1nXN61S3PyPOUmeqJqQcYJnX9Fmib4n_gduyp7NeFv_8Afjg-IQ).
> > So it's there when I have to do it again and forget where to start.
> >

> I did the upgrade. I checked leanfront and mythfrontend. I did not
> see any problems with playback. I played parts of a few recordings
> with mythfrontend and did some skip forward and back. I watched for a
> half hour with leanfront.
> I do not have any mpeg-2 recordings. They are all h264. Perhaps mpeg2
> is the issue.
> Peter

peter, yes mpeg2 most definitely was/is the issue. big problems with
interlaced content. i noticed decreased quality in mpeg2 720p also but
not as bad. nvidia was blaming google for a regression on all
interlaced playback. in kodi it was still a problem but somewhat
better. the two myth programs i could only watch h264 content. that was
my experience. i had other non mythtv related problems all relating to
file permissions.
Re: Major Issues with new Nvidia Shield 9.0 upgrade to Android 11 [ In reply to ]
On Mon, Jan 17, 2022 at 9:27 AM Peter Bennett <pb.mythtv@gmail.com> wrote:

> On 1/16/22 3:24 PM, James Abernathy wrote:
>

> On Sun, Jan 16, 2022 at 3:07 PM glen <glenb@glenb.net> wrote:
>
>> i had terrible results on the 9.0 and very happy to be back on 8.23, the
>> myth apps, both, play really well. i'm sure nvidia will get the interlaced
>> content issue resolved so i plan to keep an eye on the forums and try again
>> when it looks like the coast is clear. it was fairly simple to reflash
>> using their recovery image.
>>

>> Just to add my experience with the 9.0 update, I have v30 backend and a
>> v30 frontend and after the update I have audio sync issues with both
>> recorded and live tv (paused a few seconds). It's like the video is
>> occasionally choppy, and the audio fluctuates from almost synced to maybe a
>> half second off. I haven't tried playing with any video settings yet, I
>> have a v31 apk to try as well.
>>
>> On first launch I get a "this app was built for a different version of
>> android" message, if I build from source will it fix that?
>>

> For those who somehow got 9.0 installed and now regret it, like Glen says
> it's easy to put 8.23 back on the Shield. I summarized what I did with
> Glen's help in a posting on the MythTV forum (
> https://forum.mythtv.org/viewtopic.php?f=47&t=4740). So it's there when
> I have to do it again and forget where to start.
>

> I did the upgrade. I checked leanfront and mythfrontend. I did not see any
> problems with playback. I played parts of a few recordings with
> mythfrontend and did some skip forward and back. I watched for a half hour
> with leanfront.
>
> I do not have any mpeg-2 recordings. They are all h264. Perhaps mpeg2 is
> the issue.
>
> Peter

Right, Peter, MPEG2 is the problem. Not so much with mythfrontend since it
has its own version of ffmpeg for OpenGL to use, and that's what I use as
my video profile. But Leanfront in v9 is not nearly as good a mythfrontend
or as good as Leanfront was back on 8.23. I did the rollback and things
are good again.

Jim A
Re: Major Issues with new Nvidia Shield 9.0 upgrade to Android 11 [ In reply to ]
On Mon, 2022-01-17 at 09:35 -0500, James Abernathy wrote:

> On Mon, Jan 17, 2022 at 9:27 AM Peter Bennett <pb.mythtv@gmail.com>
> wrote:

> > > For those who somehow got 9.0 installed and now regret it, like
> > > Glen says it's easy to put 8.23 back on the Shield. I
> > > summarized what I did with Glen's help in a posting on the
> > > MythTV forum
> > > (http://email.mg.glenb.net/c/eJxFjssKwyAUBb9GdxXN9REXLgol_-EzBpJGjEnp31faRWEWw4GBE4xPNgiOFxOTki5BGhmMwvoODTaBE54JGZRkcQAaBiDebnFFnM5rfDryjA1nwxhTglM9OuAsAPM2BKG19o5LrZzEq8mtlQPBHQ1TJ-313Mj2brldZK9zn64lvtpeFk9KLgimhODBFRpk-wqnuJpfcDuPWI9-4d9_ALLbPiQ).  So it's
> > > there when I have to do it again and forget where to start.
> > >

> > I did the upgrade. I checked leanfront and mythfrontend. I did not
> > see any problems with playback. I played parts of a few recordings
> > with mythfrontend and did some skip forward and back. I watched for
> > a half hour with leanfront.
> > I do not have any mpeg-2 recordings. They are all h264. Perhaps
> > mpeg2 is the issue.
> > Peter
> >

> Right, Peter, MPEG2 is the problem. Not so much with mythfrontend
> since it has its own version of ffmpeg for OpenGL to use, and that's
> what I use as my video profile. But Leanfront in v9 is not nearly as
> good a mythfrontend or as good as Leanfront was back on 8.23.  I did
> the rollback and things are good again.
>
> Jim A

my experience different from Jim, the mythfrontend was worse. when i
changed profile from mediacodec to ffmpeg (standard decoder), it would
barely play at all and was not watchable. Jim is on the 2017 shield and
my experience on the 2019 shield pro. that may be the difference.
reverting back everything great again. I will keep an eye on the forum
at nvidia also and let you know when they indicate they have worked out
the interlacing issue.
Re: Major Issues with new Nvidia Shield 9.0 upgrade to Android 11 [ In reply to ]
On 1/17/22 9:41 AM, glen wrote:
> On Mon, 2022-01-17 at 09:35 -0500, James Abernathy wrote:
>>

>> On Mon, Jan 17, 2022 at 9:27 AM Peter Bennett <pb.mythtv@gmail.com
>> <mailto:pb.mythtv@gmail.com>> wrote:

>>> I did the upgrade. I checked leanfront and mythfrontend. I did not
>>> see any problems with playback. I played parts of a few recordings
>>> with mythfrontend and did some skip forward and back. I watched for
>>> a half hour with leanfront.
>>>
>>> I do not have any mpeg-2 recordings. They are all h264. Perhaps
>>> mpeg2 is the issue.
>>>
>>> Peter
>>>

>> Right, Peter, MPEG2 is the problem. Not so much with mythfrontend
>> since it has its own version of ffmpeg for OpenGL to use, and that's
>> what I use as my video profile. But Leanfront in v9 is not nearly as
>> good a mythfrontend or as good as Leanfront was back on 8.23.  I did
>> the rollback and things are good again.
>>
>> Jim A

> my experience different from Jim, the mythfrontend was worse. when i
> changed profile from mediacodec to ffmpeg (standard decoder), it would
> barely play at all and was not watchable. Jim is on the 2017 shield
> and my experience on the 2019 shield pro. that may be the difference.
> reverting back everything great again. I will keep an eye on the forum
> at nvidia also and let you know when they indicate they have worked
> out the interlacing issue.

I think manufacturers are not very interested in MPEG-2. Google makes
MPEG-2 optional in android, while h264 and others are required. My phone
from 2016 would play MPEG-2 with leanfront without a problem. My 2021
phone (same brand) does not support MPEG-2. It seems MPEG-2 is being
phased out. No reasonable streaming service would use MPEG-2.

Peter
Re: Major Issues with new Nvidia Shield 9.0 upgrade to Android 11 [ In reply to ]
On Mon, 2022-01-17 at 11:28 -0500, Peter Bennett wrote:

> On 1/17/22 9:41 AM, glen wrote:
>

> > On Mon, 2022-01-17 at 09:35 -0500, James Abernathy wrote:

> > > Right, Peter, MPEG2 is the problem. Not so much with mythfrontend
> > > since it has its own version of ffmpeg for OpenGL to use, and
> > > that's what I use as my video profile. But Leanfront in v9 is not
> > > nearly as good a mythfrontend or as good as Leanfront was back on
> > > 8.23.  I did the rollback and things are good again.
> > >
> > > Jim A

> > my experience different from Jim, the mythfrontend was worse. when
> > i changed profile from mediacodec to ffmpeg (standard decoder), it
> > would barely play at all and was not watchable. Jim is on the 2017
> > shield and my experience on the 2019 shield pro. that may be the
> > difference. reverting back everything great again. I will keep an
> > eye on the forum at nvidia also and let you know when they indicate
> > they have worked out the interlacing issue.
> >

> I think manufacturers are not very interested in MPEG-2. Google makes
> MPEG-2 optional in android, while h264 and others are required. My
> phone from 2016 would play MPEG-2 with leanfront without a problem.
> My 2021 phone (same brand) does not support MPEG-2. It seems MPEG-2
> is being phased out. No reasonable streaming service would use MPEG-
> 2.
> Peter

agree as far as i know. all the more reason for people still using ota
antennas in mpeg2 not to upgrade the shield and other android boxes
probably. the new atsc 3.0 should be fine as that is target codec 265.
that still comes down to the default though. i may nevertheless pick
the silicondust 3.0 tuner as 3 stations have popped up in my area.
Re: Major Issues with new Nvidia Shield 9.0 upgrade to Android 11 [ In reply to ]
On Mon, Jan 17, 2022 at 4:34 PM glen <glenb@glenb.net> wrote:
> the new atsc 3.0 should be fine as that is target codec 265. that still comes down to the default though.

While H.265 may be a target, broadcasters have
flexibility in their choices of codec, and during
testing (and make no mistake, most broadcasters
are still in various stages of testing, not production)
some have chosen interestingly. There is even one
using H.265 480i (yes, interlaced) for some of their
channels. As expected, more than a few software
solutions did/do not deal with interlaced H.265 (and
who knows about hardware decoder support, although
I seem to recall it was reported LG TVs did it right
(although that, itself, is not surprising as LG has
been part of many of the standards committees,
so they likely understand them better than some)).

> i may nevertheless pick the silicondust 3.0 tuner as 3 stations have popped up in my area.

Be aware that using the HDFX-4K requires some hoop
jumping in MythTV to use for ATSC 3.0 (I have heard
a rumor that a well qualified/experienced/talented
individual has sort of gotten it to work in their market,
but setup was, to put it mildly, not straightforward),
and there is no support for the ATSC 3.0 (targeted)
audio codec of AC-4 in any released open source
project, so unless passthrough works to your AC-4
capable A/V receiver you likely will experience the
sounds of silence (although, that too, may vary, as
some broadcasters have been reported to use AAC
for their ATSC 3.0 channels, because, again,
flexible options in the spec).

If you want to play around with the device, using the
the SiliconDust software apps (which even support
AC-4 transcoding using their own cloud based service
to get around device limitations) to see what is what,
you may be fine, but full support in MythTV for its
full ATSC 3.0 capability is likely some time away
(although the tuner should operate as a classic 4
tuner ATSC 1.0 device just fine in MythTV). Caveat
emptor.
Re: Major Issues with new Nvidia Shield 9.0 upgrade to Android 11 [ In reply to ]
On Mon, 2022-01-17 at 17:46 +0000, Gary Buhrmaster wrote:
> On Mon, Jan 17, 2022 at 4:34 PM glen <glenb@glenb.net> wrote:
> > the new atsc 3.0 should be fine as that is target codec 265. that
> > still comes down to the default though.
>
> While H.265 may be a target, broadcasters have
> flexibility in their choices of codec, and during
> testing (and make no mistake, most broadcasters
> are still in various stages of testing, not production)
> some have chosen interestingly.  There is even one
> using H.265 480i (yes, interlaced) for some of their
> channels.  As expected, more than a few software
> solutions did/do not deal with interlaced H.265 (and
> who knows about hardware decoder support, although
> I seem to recall it was reported LG TVs did it right
> (although that, itself, is not surprising as LG has
> been part of many of the standards committees,
> so they likely understand them better than some)).
>
> > i may nevertheless pick the silicondust 3.0 tuner as 3 stations
> > have popped up in my area.
>
> Be aware that using the HDFX-4K requires some hoop
> jumping in MythTV to use for ATSC 3.0 (I have heard
> a rumor that a well qualified/experienced/talented
> individual has sort of gotten it to work in their market,
> but setup was, to put it mildly, not straightforward),
> and there is no support for the ATSC 3.0 (targeted)
> audio codec of AC-4 in any released open source
> project, so unless passthrough works to your AC-4
> capable A/V receiver you likely will experience the
> sounds of silence (although, that too, may vary, as
> some broadcasters have been reported to use AAC
> for their ATSC 3.0 channels, because, again,
> flexible options in the spec).
>
> If you want to play around with the device, using the
> the SiliconDust software apps (which even support
> AC-4 transcoding using their own cloud based service
> to get around device limitations) to see what is what,
> you may be fine, but full support in MythTV for its
> full ATSC 3.0 capability is likely some time away
> (although the tuner should operate as a classic 4
> tuner ATSC 1.0 device just fine in MythTV). Caveat
> emptor.
Thanks Gary. I was a aware of the bulk of the issues. My thought was
the ffmpeg is not far off from getting the audio codec ac4. i have also
seen references to some ffmpeg versions with some degree of ac4
compiled in. i was not planning any myth attempts with it, other than
as mpeg2 turners. to sell my quattro tuner and buy this is not a big
investment. anyway that's my thinking
Re: Major Issues with new Nvidia Shield 9.0 upgrade to Android 11 [ In reply to ]
On 17/01/2022 16:28, Peter Bennett wrote:

> I think manufacturers are not very interested in MPEG-2. Google makes
> MPEG-2 optional in android, while h264 and others are required. My phone
> from 2016 would play MPEG-2 with leanfront without a problem. My 2021
> phone (same brand) does not support MPEG-2. It seems MPEG-2 is being
> phased out. No reasonable streaming service would use MPEG-2.

The majority of European broadcasts are still in MPEG2, apart from the
HD transponders / multiplexes. Those use a variety of encodings but h264
is common.

If you are interested, or have nothing better to do with your time,
have a browse over at https://lyngsat.com

One example is Astra 28.2 which covers the UK
https://www.lyngsat.com/Astra-2E-2F-2G.html

Regards
Stuart
Re: Major Issues with new Nvidia Shield 9.0 upgrade to Android 11 [ In reply to ]
Short report of success without doing anything special.....

Woke up my Nvidia Shield for evening view to see it installed 9.0. I've
been holding off the install due to concern from this thread. The pop up
that the upgrade was available has been sitting on my screen for several
weeks now.

I'm running a very very old rev of Frontend. I don't upgrade unless forced
or something is broken. On opening MythTV I got a request to accept
special permissions. I think it was file system access. On accepting I
got a warning that the MythTV app was compiled under an old version of
Android and may not function correctly. These permission requests and
warnings only popped up the first time I opened the app. After that no pop
up on launch. My limited usage to watch Olympics on NBC and Late Show With
Stephen Colbert on CBS turned up no issues. Playback, vid/sound alignment,
FF, commercial skip, all worked as expected. (No issues with Kodi either.)

thanks

Re: Major Issues with new Nvidia Shield 9.0 upgrade to Android 11 [ In reply to ]
On Thu, Feb 17, 2022 at 1:04 PM Jon Boehm <jon.s.boehm@gmail.com> wrote:

> Short report of success without doing anything special.....
>
> Woke up my Nvidia Shield for evening view to see it installed 9.0. I've
> been holding off the install due to concern from this thread. The pop up
> that the upgrade was available has been sitting on my screen for several
> weeks now.
>
> I'm running a very very old rev of Frontend. I don't upgrade unless
> forced or something is broken. On opening MythTV I got a request to accept
> special permissions. I think it was file system access. On accepting I
> got a warning that the MythTV app was compiled under an old version of
> Android and may not function correctly. These permission requests and
> warnings only popped up the first time I opened the app. After that no pop
> up on launch. My limited usage to watch Olympics on NBC and Late Show With
> Stephen Colbert on CBS turned up no issues. Playback, vid/sound alignment,
> FF, commercial skip, all worked as expected. (No issues with Kodi either.)
>
> thanks

Basically the same experience here. Today I forced an update to 9.01 and
Leanfront, Mythfrontend, Kodi, DirecTV Stream, Prime Video, Hulu and a few
others all work as they did before the upgrade. My Shield TV is a 2017
version. I'm hoping some of my Streaming apps will get better since most of
them would be testing against a newer version of Android.

So far so good, but since I've already rolled it back once to 8.23, I can
do that again if I have to.

Jim A