by sudo apt install mythtv-frontend

I noticed when I do systemctl status mythtv-backend.service it shows the
service is enabled and running. But I've never setup it up on this
system. This frontend is connected to the production backend.

So last week I disabled the service.  I got and mythtv update today, and
the service is enabled again.

Why is there a mythtv-backend.service on a frontend only system?

Jim A

Re: Frontend only system, but has mythbackend running? [ In reply to ]
On Tue, 9 Nov 2021 06:52:13 -0500, you wrote:

>I have a desktop system that runs mythfrontend only.? I installed it
>adding the repository via add-apt-repository ppa:mythbuntu/31 followed
>by sudo apt install mythtv-frontend
>
>I noticed when I do systemctl status mythtv-backend.service it shows the
>service is enabled and running. But I've never setup it up on this
>system. This frontend is connected to the production backend.
>
>So last week I disabled the service.? I got and mythtv update today, and
>the service is enabled again.
>
>Why is there a mythtv-backend.service on a frontend only system?

You can try removing the backend packages and see if there is some
dependency that is causing the problem. If you can just uninstall
them, and none of the frontend packages are listed to be uninstalled,
then do that.

I just happen to have spun up a clean Ubuntu 21.10 virtual machine
today, so I installed the v31-fixes repository and asked synaptic what
packages would be installed if I installed mythtv-frontend. There
were no backend packages. I have MariaDB installed, but that should
not make any difference.
Re: Frontend only system, but has mythbackend running? [ In reply to ]
On Tue, Nov 9, 2021 at 7:56 AM Stephen Worthington <stephen_agent@jsw.gen.nz>
wrote:

> On Tue, 9 Nov 2021 06:52:13 -0500, you wrote:
>
> >I have a desktop system that runs mythfrontend only. I installed it
> >adding the repository via add-apt-repository ppa:mythbuntu/31 followed
> >by sudo apt install mythtv-frontend
> >
> >I noticed when I do systemctl status mythtv-backend.service it shows the
> >service is enabled and running. But I've never setup it up on this
> >system. This frontend is connected to the production backend.
> >
> >So last week I disabled the service. I got and mythtv update today, and
> >the service is enabled again.
> >
> >Why is there a mythtv-backend.service on a frontend only system?
>
> You can try removing the backend packages and see if there is some
> dependency that is causing the problem. If you can just uninstall
> them, and none of the frontend packages are listed to be uninstalled,
> then do that.
>
> I just happen to have spun up a clean Ubuntu 21.10 virtual machine
> today, so I installed the v31-fixes repository and asked synaptic what
> packages would be installed if I installed mythtv-frontend. There
> were no backend packages. I have MariaDB installed, but that should
> not make any difference.

This particular system has not been completely rebuilt for a while. So
there may be other issues,

On a laptop that get rebuilt regularly, I noticed that the mythtv-backend
service was not active. It was more of a curiosity. Either way the
frontend works on both and they both connect just fine to the same remote
backend.

Thanks,

Jim A